MTG: Arena

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Paste code STARTERSTYLES in store to redeem alternative art for Luminous Bonds, Divination, Doomed Dissenter Viashino Pyromancer, Llanawar Elves and Meteor Golem among with a card sleeve!!

gVOL7eMh.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
We can just flip coins, it'll be faster.

I'll start looking for backers for the coin flip and paper, rock, scissors mythic invitational because that's literally competitive magic.

All jokes aside we aren't ever going to have legitimate competitive magic with the RNG elements present in game and if we remove it then the "magic" of magic goes away.

I do concede that the duo format choice without being able to pick your deck just exacerbates the problem with the core game mechanics that we've griped about since magic existed, but I've never watched or played a game of magic where I thought some player was on some unattainable skill level like I do when watching any other sport or competitive video game because it's just as good to be lucky as skilled and that's proven time and time again.

:smuggly:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Magic GPs are skill testing in that they're endurance events. 9+ rounds of Magic a day is just a mentally exhausting thing. Only seasoned pros are generally able to make it through 2 days of that shit and still able to consistently make good decisions.

Standard MTG has just been in a bad place for a while now. Power creep is ridiculous and the 'pushed' cards are just so over-the-top.

I really only even play standard on Arena to grind gold for free drafts.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
All jokes aside we aren't ever going to have legitimate competitive magic with the RNG elements present in game and if we remove it then the "magic" of magic goes away.

Luis Scott Vargas has made the top 8 in 5 of his last 8 pro tours or something ridiculous like that.

Game isn't nearly as RNG as you think when you're that good at it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Luis Scott Vargas has made the top 8 in 5 of his last 8 pro tours or something ridiculous like that.

Game isn't nearly as RNG as you think when you're that good at it.

Yeah then he also mulled to 5 in the final match of a tournament that pretty much guaranteed a loss. That shouldn't be able to happen in a competitive game ever.

• 1Picard

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah then he also mulled to 5 in the final match of a tournament that pretty much guaranteed a loss. That shouldn't be able to happen in a competitive game ever.

Yeah sometimes the RNG is so bad that even the best of the best can't overcome it. But overall it's not as debilitating as us amateurs might think based on our own experiences.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah sometimes the RNG is so bad that even the best of the best can't overcome it. But overall it's not as debilitating as us amateurs might think based on our own experiences.

Oh I don't care on a personal level but it's still idiotic trying to promote a game with that kind variance as legitimately competitive. Top tier players are going to weed out the lucky ones more often than not it's just there shouldn't be a lucky player beating top tier players ever.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Oh I don't care on a personal level but it's still idiotic trying to promote a game with that kind variance as legitimately competitive. Top tier players are going to weed out the lucky ones more often than not it's just there shouldn't be a lucky player beating top tier players ever.

i'll inform the world series of poker

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I already said this and people were kinda mocking me. Runaway steamkin lets you dump your entire hand multiple times. And heaven save you if they get 2 out on turn 3.

I wouldn't be opposed to this in Bo1. Light up the stage might be a better ban target though.

Bo1 is stupid anyway and if they keep pushing it, it should totally have its own ban list like Nexus. I would throw Teferi on a Bo1 ban list too just because he enables games to drag out so much waiting to see if they actually have a win con besides him. I get he is a wincon himself but so many people on arena screw up the button presses so you should play it out. I have also drug games out with an adanto land to keep their Teferi in check til they concede with no cards left because they had no other wincon. Not sure which one of us is the bigger ass in that situation tbh.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I think Loxodon is just as broken as steamkin. Have 3 weenies and stuck on 2 lands? No problem, have a 4/4 and everything is buffed.

• 1Like

Caliane

most colors have something just as ridiculous.

Siren stormtamer/trickster/riversneak take your pick.
wildgrowthwalker/Growth chamber guardian
loxodon or adanto for white.
priest of the forgotten gods for black now. probably previously missing. maybe cast down a was its early redic value card.

Each have a 3 color monster as well. chainwhirler, phylactery lich, djinn, benalish marshel,etc. (green doesnt.) plenty of just powerful 3drops in green in general though.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trying to think of a good deck for the event. The nice thing is that you only have to win out one time, instead of four.

Caliane

Steel Leaf Champion. 5/4, can't be blocked by power 2 or less. Devastating in a color that has a 1-CMC mana dork.
oh right. yep. I derped, when I doublechecked green. and forgot to look at ALL cards, not just my collection. Probably should doublecheck black for that 1/2 cmc beast as well. could be forgetting something, I just didnt own.