MTG: Arena

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck the assholes that run teferi Karn decks, Teferi needs to be banned. So slow and boring to play against.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Will never be banned, and you think he's good now wait until the actual U/W guild gets printed next set.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck the assholes that run teferi Karn decks, Teferi needs to be banned. So slow and boring to play against.

It wouldnt be half as bad if people didnt take an hour to draw then untap with him for some fucking reason

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I think the actual problem here is people, or you specifically, aren't realizing when the game is over and are sticking around far too long just suffering while they finish the technical win.

If you're playing some kind of aggressive deck, or even a lot of B/G midrange type piles, and on turn 5 they play a Teferi in to your empty board after removing/countering all your relevant threats, the game is over. Full stop. Don't waste your time taking any more turns, just concede. If the control deck weathers the first like 4-5 turns without taking massive life loss (as in range of like 1-2 burn spells if you're playing them), or without their hand being shredded by discard, they generally have already won. It might take another 10, 15, or even 20 turns for them to technically close the game out, but it's been over since turn 5.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Been finding myself landlocked a lot of games with Boros Weenie. I run 20 lands(12 plains, 8 dual) and 4 Legion's Landing. What's a good amount of land to run with this type of deck? Legion's Landing, it terms of curving out, doesn't seem that reliable. Good opponents seem to know it and will keep it from transforming.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you are playing best-of-one matches don't play less than 22 lands. The shuffler draws you 2 hands, and gives you one with the better land distribution, which means it aims to give you 2 lands in a 22 land deck or 3 lands in a 26 land deck.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you are playing best-of-one matches don't play less than 22 lands. The shuffler draws you 2 hands, and gives you one with the better land distribution, which means it aims to give you 2 lands in a 22 land deck or 3 lands in a 26 land deck.

What she said.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, how does something like Legion's Landing factor into this? Not with the shuffler, I'm pretty sure it doesn't count that as a land. But let's say you have an opening hand with 2 lands and a Legion's Landing? Toss?

Is there a link to the internals of the shuffler? I would love to educate myself on the choices it makes.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
In best of 1 the hand you see is chosen from 2 hands, and it shows you the one that is closer to the average number of lands in 7 cards for your deck. The math works out to 22 lands making the average 2 lands, and 26 lands making it 3 lands, so that's generally the number you want depending if you're aggro or control.

In boros weenie/aggro you 100% keep 2 lands unless the colors for the spells in your opener just do not line up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, close to 22 for aggro, 26 for control? Does the shuffler round, or does it allow for something in the middle like 24 for midrange?

Maybe I'm mulliganing wrong as well. I've remembered times keeping 2 lands meant I couldn't cast anything but a 1-drop on turn three, sometimes even 4, which seems a deathknell for aggro.

I guess I need a primer, so to speak. You're running this type of deck, you generally keep these opening hands.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So, close to 22 for aggro, 26 for control? Does the shuffler round, or does it allow for something in the middle like 24 for midrange?

Maybe I'm mulliganing wrong as well. I've remembered times keeping 2 lands meant I couldn't cast anything but a 1-drop on turn three, sometimes even 4, which seems a deathknell for aggro.

I guess I need a primer, so to speak. You're running this type of deck, you generally keep these opening hands.
No, not close. Exactly. If you're playing best of one there's really not much reason to play land counts other than 22/26 unless you have a deck that can operate on 1-land openers on the regular.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Sheeeit, I didnt know the 22/26 cut off. I have been playing 23 or 24 in decks like mono green or golgari midrange.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Sheeeit, I didnt know the 22/26 cut off. I have been playing 23 or 24 in decks like mono green or golgari midrange.

Don't feel ashamed, I didn't know til just now either.

Now I've gotta go through and edit all of my decks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Remember, it only applies in best-of-one. Regular best 2 out of 3 matches draw a single hand and use just standard mulligans.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
should I dedicate money/time to this or Artifact?

This is better right now, but Artifact is still making positive changes. Image will be clearer after a few Artifact updates. Right now I'm leaning MtG:A but Artifact might win out.