MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I kinda was helped a lot by opening Karn. People also gave me 2 very very late Myrsmiths.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I opened Dark Confidant and he watched confidantly(?) from my sideboard as we went 6-0 in games. Ended up BG, 4x Kozilek's Predator, 3x Scatter the Seeds, Root-Kin Ally, Ulamog's Crusher, All is Dust. Games weren't even close. I even had Plagued Rusalka + Reassembling Skeleton. Didn't play vs anything fast so I probably lucked out a little.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ugh, all I want to do now is draft this again.

Some dude in my pod opened goyf + foil elesh norn in the same pack. TO let him replace it with another pack. Not sure I would have done the same if I was the TO, though if I was in that guy's place I would certainly have appreciated it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well the TO actually did announce it ahead of time, in the case of absurd packs. No one expected to actually see one though.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Prices on a lot of reprints are sailing downwards very quickly. So far MM2 is doing what it was intended.

Still haven't opened a single pack. I might go to a draft tonight, I haven't decided.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Mist, that's better than what our TO announced. Announced that all packs still belong to the store until drafting is finished and that they can't leave if they open an absurd pack. Of course, this is against the DCI for FNM. What they should have announced was "You can leave, but don't expect us to welcome you back."

Anyway, I went R/W artifacts, despite a bunch of the pro writers panning it, it was incredibly powerful. You don't actually need that much equipment to make it work. The bread and butter of the deck is the 1WW common double strike flyer, and you should get passed a bunch of the R/W double strikers that are super mana-restrictive so no one else picks them up. The fact that most of the creatures in the archetype have first strike and double strike makes creature combat a nightmare since most creatures in the format have two toughness. I ended up going to the finals in first place and played the mirror match against a pro whose specialty is limited. We both agreed that R/W artifacts is absurd.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Mist, that's better than what our TO announced. Announced that all packs still belong to the store until drafting is finished and that they can't leave if they open an absurd pack. Of course, this is against the DCI for FNM. What they should have announced was "You can leave, but don't expect us to welcome you back."

Anyway, I went R/W artifacts, despite a bunch of the pro writers panning it, it was incredibly powerful. You don't actually need that much equipment to make it work. The bread and butter of the deck is the 1WW common double strike flyer, and you should get passed a bunch of the R/W double strikers that are super mana-restrictive so no one else picks them up. The fact that most of the creatures in the archetype have first strike and double strike makes creature combat a nightmare since most creatures in the format have two toughness. I ended up going to the finals in first place and played the mirror match against a pro whose specialty is limited. We both agreed that R/W artifacts is absurd.
From tournament rules.

2.10 Dropping from a Tournament

Players may drop from a tournament at any time. If a player drops from a tournament before the first round of play has started, he or she is considered to have not participated in the tournament and will not be listed in the finish order nor receive participation Planeswalker Points. Players choosing to drop from a tournament must inform the Scorekeeper by the means provided for that tournament before the pairings for the next round are generated. Players wanting to drop after the Scorekeeper begins pairing for the next round will be paired for that round. If a player does not show up for his or her match, he or she will be automatically dropped from the tournament unless they report to the Scorekeeper. Players that repeatedly and/or intentionally drop from tournaments without informing the scorekeepers of those events may be the subject of DCI penalties up to and including suspension.
Players who drop during limited events own the cards that they correctly have in their possession at that time. This includes any unopened or partially drafted boosters.
If a player drops from a tournament after a cut has been made, such as a cut to the top 8 playoff in a Magic Pro Tour Qualifier, no other player is advanced as a replacement. That player?s opponent receives a bye for the round. If a player that would have advanced to a top 8 playoff drops from a tournament before the cut has been made, another player advances. A cut is considered to have been made once the cut itself or pairings for the round following the cut have been posted or announced.
Players who have dropped may reenter a tournament at the discretion of the Head Judge. Players may not reenter a portion of the tournament that requires a deck they did not draft or build. Players may not reenter a tournament after any cut has been made.
Players may not drop from a tournament in exchange for or influenced by the offer of any reward or incentive. Doing so will be considered Bribery

So any store that tells you you can't drop and take your packs and the pack in front of you is breaking rules.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I already stated that it is against the DCI rules. That said, what the store can say is "If you open an absurd pack and decide to leave with it, you won't be playing at this store again." It wasn't worth getting into an argument over at the time since I do like playing at the store
tongue.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Although I can see a store getting all uppity I think it would be a weird stance to take. So someone opened big dollars and dropped. So what.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ugh, all I want to do now is draft this again.

Some dude in my pod opened goyf + foil elesh norn in the same pack. TO let him replace it with another pack. Not sure I would have done the same if I was the TO, though if I was in that guy's place I would certainly have appreciated it.
How come it was replaced? Would it have been unfair to everyone else? I would have thought the guy would be happy to have a great pack.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
How come it was replaced? Would it have been unfair to everyone else? I would have thought the guy would be happy to have a great pack.
It's not ideal but it's the only workable solution to avoid fucking up the draft for everyone else in the tournament/pod. I doubt it's ever happened outside of MM and I can certainly understand not wanting to pass a $50 to $150 card if you open a crazy pack. If it was me and the option to drop/buy another pack wasn't there I'd feel shitty but deal with it. However since the option is there you're damn right I wouldn't pass that shit.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
So I bought 2 packs of Modern Masters last night, first pack had Apocalypse Hydra which made me happy. Will throw that in my Hydra commander deck. second pack had Thunderblust and a Foil Kiki-Jiki. I was amused. Any and all luck I may have had stored up has now been used up.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I accidentally a 2015 deck builders toolkit today.

I literally haven't touched a MTG card in over 17 years. What should I do first?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I accidentally a 2015 deck builders toolkit today.

I literally haven't touched a MTG card in over 17 years. What should I do first?
Look for a local store to play at. See if anyone wants to hook you up with some more commons and shit.

Buy a lot more cards.