MTG thread

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I accidentally a 2015 deck builders toolkit today.

I literally haven't touched a MTG card in over 17 years. What should I do first?
Seriously reconsider your decision. If you still want to play...

Depends on what you want to do. If you have friends to kitchen table with do that. If you want to play in tournaments like FNM play casually for a bit to relearn the rules, watch a few videos on ChannelFireball, then buy the cards for a cheap tier 1.5/2 deck or draft if you care about winning. Just have what fun you can with the understanding that if you want to win you're gonna have to put a few hundred dollars and a shit ton of time in at the absolute least. The game is as fun as you make it and as expensive as you're comfortable with it being. My current rogue control deck for standard is about $250 and I enjoy it because it's dumb as hell and has main board Pacifism. But there are budget tier 1.5/2 decks you can put together for $50 and easily win a FNM with.

Unrelated but our FNM this week is Block Constructed. The only cards in my deck that I have to swap are 4x Dissolve. Bitches gonna get wrekt this week.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Don't forget the repulsive player base!

Won the MM2 release event I played in. Drafted no value. Opened no value. Had a pretty decent Domain oriented deck with piles and piles of burn and efficient dudes. Didn't have a good time drafting the set but the games themselves were very decent. It felt like everyone had bad casual constructed decks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, the 40+ person MM2 draft I went to definitely made me sick with the flu or something a day or so later.

Fucking gamers.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Oh yeah, the 40+ person MM2 draft I went to definitely made me sick with the flu or something a day or so later.

Fucking gamers.
Same at our last PPTQ. I blame the deck swap or top 8 draft. Stopped shaking hands with randoms because of that shit.

Xalara

Golden Squire
If you want to get back into Magic, just go play Hearthstone. It's cheaper, and if you get good and know your way around Twitch you can make far more money playing that. Plus the tournament system for Hearthstone, while it has its quirks, isn't a complete clusterfuck (hi2u2 PreTQs). Bottom line is: Magic: The Gathering is an amazingly well designed game but everything else about it sucks.

The rest of us are just so addicted to said well designed game despite how crappy everything else about it is >.>

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
MtG is awesome.

I draft on Sunday morning with a group of 10-12 cool people at my friend's shop. This week is MM2 draft, then our buddies powered Cube with fun prizes:

rrr_img_98529.jpg

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Man, I let a friend borrow my personal deck I used to play seriously with. I called him the other day trying to get it back but it's long gone, of course...

I am kicking myself in the fucking ass. This was around Urza's (something), Invasion, and when Avatar of X and Legends were a big deal while including a few editions before those. I looked up the value of some of the universal/multi color land cards and things like 'No Mercy', 'Rishadan Port' and other oldschool OP shit I used to own. That deck and extras was worth a loooott more than I had any idea.

Anyway, I just bought some boosters and a deck kit like Bisi did and now I don't even know where to start. I hate the pre built shit because it's always a shit collection of generic cards but I still want to play. If a retail store around me isn't an option, can someone recommend a trustworthy site to buy singles?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Rishadan Ports are expensive as fuck. The foils are astronomical.

I've said many times that my student loans wouldn't exist if I still had my old vintage stuff to sell. It just gets more and more true every year. So far I've resisted the vintage bug, but I do play an awful lot of legacy and have a small car's worth of value sunk into my solidly tier 2 pet deck.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I sold all my Revised thru Invasion block stuff not long after the flood in 2010. I got 3,800 dollars for it, because I sold it at buylist prices. It's probably worth 4x-5x that number now as far as reasonable retail prices. I got like $65 each for my Underground Seas. Cradles I got $15, makes me almost physically ill.

Molten Core Raider
I sold out of MtG around the homelands era. I played type 1 mostly and had quite a few betas of the power cards, multiples of each dual land etc. I liquidated my decks and collection to pay off the attorney to get custody of my son. FF quite a few years, my son gets into Magic, and one day he comes to me "hey dad, you used to play Magic, what happened to all your good cards?" I told him I sold them, he was like "man, why did you do that?" I said to pay a lawyer. He asked what I needed a lawyer for, what did I do, So I told him.

The guy I used to go to tourneys with and I tried to guesstimate what they were worth, we stopped, too depressing when I think of what they are worth now.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I sold all my Revised thru Invasion block stuff not long after the flood in 2010. I got 3,800 dollars for it, because I sold it at buylist prices. It's probably worth 4x-5x that number now as far as reasonable retail prices. I got like $65 each for my Underground Seas. Cradles I got $15, makes me almost physically ill.
I sold duals for ~30$ and moxes for ~200$ when I cashed out, so don't feel too bad.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
FF quite a few years, my son gets into Magic, and one day he comes to me "hey dad, you used to play Magic, what happened to all your good cards?" I told him I sold them, he was like "man, why did you do that?" I said to pay a lawyer. He asked what I needed a lawyer for, what did I do, So I told him.
Fuck dude. Warn me before posting the feels like that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I sold duals for ~30$ and moxes for ~200$ when I cashed out, so don't feel too bad.
Yeah, but in my case, holding that stuff a mere 18 more months would have been a huge difference. People who cashed out in the early to mid 2000s would have had to wait 5-10 years for the spike.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea, I can't be mad about it. I needed a car and was like 18, how could I have known? Seemed amazing at the time.

Still though, coulda been a nice house down payment if I still had it -_-

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Played a sealed tournament last night at my LGS. $60 for MM15 pretty decent. Each table had 4 people so each table opened a box. At my table 1 player got every mythic from the box.

He opened Tarmogoyf, mox opal, elesh norn, noble hierarch and a fulminator mage...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I was drafting MM2 on MTGO, and I got passed a Leyline of Sanctity and a Wilt Leaf Liege, 3rd and 4th picks in the second pack.

Each one of those was selling for 7 tix. Opened Fulminator Mage and Kozilek and won, so, woo, serious value in that one draft.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Who the passes wilt leaf.

I went 2-1 last night with Creekwood liege, splinter twin And precursor golem.

Precursor golem + splinter twin is fun.