MTG thread

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I went 2-0 in New Player Sealed last weekend then had a Bye, waited an hour til the round ended, started the next and my screen went black but couldn't refresh client in any way without losing it all. It all never came back, so I lost due to prelim timers. How is WoTC support? Will they refund me for shit like this or don't even bother?

Also, I reallllly want to play more tournaments but holy shit it's all so fucking expensive I absolutely can't believe how shitty the client is for the prices they charge on everything. Is there some sort of trick to getting more tickets or is it just buy from the store or win as much as you possibly can? But for a new player like me (5 tickets from fresh account for free), I assume the only way to enter a tournament is to either buy tickets or have someone give them to me?

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Looks like he's donating 50% to charity, probably an incentive for some do-gooder buyers/collectors out there.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Is there a way to refresh trade lists and games without restarting client or resetting filter options?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I know this isn't Magic but I don't know if it's big enough for it's own thread.

Has anyone played Force of Will yet? I am hearing it is a lot like magic and is gaining a ton of popularity. The guy I have become friends with at the LGS says people drive from an hour or two away to play every weekend. He is going to teach me it before this weekend's match and let me borrow a deck to see if I like it.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
New ccg's almost always have a good hype month on release where folks like the new shiny. I'd be cautious about going nuts until you see if there's really going to be a steady playgroup near you.

I saw some kids playing at one of our local stores and it's anime inspired art and very small typeface. Not my cup of tea.
smile.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The few mechanical changes they made from Magic I actually really like. You have a "Ruler," which is basically a straight port from Commander. The main change is that your Land cards are their own separate deck, and every Commander has the ability to tap to draw a land card as a Sorcery, as long as they're still in the command zone. Since there are multiple colors, you can still get "mana-screwed," but I like decoupling your ability to draw gas from your ability to draw resources. The "add two zeros to every number!!" Yu-Gi-Oh bit is just as dumb and pointless as it is in Y-G-O. Also, as with any CCG, its first set has some ludicrously out-of-line cards.

However, any interesting mechanical changes pretty much get negated by "Catgirls in Spandex//Bunny Girls in Corsets" on half the cards. I like anime, and I like card-games, but the anime-card-game player-base is the most NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE player-base I actively avoid interaction with. A bunch of spastics and creepers. The fact that the most expensive card in the game is a missprint that makes it look like one of the catgirls isn't wearing any pants doesn't speak very highly of things. At least Magic's playerbase is just a bunch of socially awkward assholes.

Also, I inherently distrust CCGs with tiny effect boxes.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Not sure what you're asking. Filters are one of the few things that works well.
I think I was just confused about how it works since there is no like refresh button for lists or anything. I didn't realize it was just real time updating itself. It works just fine but stuff gets stagnant, probably just have to restart the client.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I know this isn't Magic but I don't know if it's big enough for it's own thread.

Has anyone played Force of Will yet? I am hearing it is a lot like magic and is gaining a ton of popularity. The guy I have become friends with at the LGS says people drive from an hour or two away to play every weekend. He is going to teach me it before this weekend's match and let me borrow a deck to see if I like it.
I agree with Drtyrm, be cautious.

I got burned in the past with the WoW TCG and spoils when they came out

Sterling

El Presidente
The problem with a lot of the TCGs is that they try to be too close to Magic. WoW the TCG is basically Magic with the option of attacking their creatures. I mean it had some pretty serious support at one point at least. At one point winning their world championship payed far better than winning Magic's.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Drafted for the first time at my LGS. I have played lots of casual draft but this was my first time doing it more competitive. I actually managed to draft 2 enduring scalelords and get the infinite combo off. Good stuff.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Played FoW tonight and had a ton of fun.

I will still play standard Magic but FoW has such a low entry cost that it I felt it was worth having some fun.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Played SNM tonight, don't know if any of these sponsored/player hosted events have been posted but I'm friends with the guy who runs it and it's really well done. Had over 10 teams tonight, great turnout and was a lot of fun bullshitting with everyone. Great players.

http://clantalk.enjin.com/tournament

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Been playing FoW and having a blast. Near me we get about 10 - 16 players twice a week at our LGS who play. Game is catching on. ARG just had a tourney for the game (they usually just do yugioh) and had a turn out of about 75 players. I agree that some of the anime art on the card is a little creepy but some of the art is simply stunning. Pretty damn fun game, can make a competitive deck for not so much money unlike todays MTG