MTG thread

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
CA5309B0-BF91-4149-A7D9-F3138FAD97A6.jpeg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
My oddity collection is coming along nicely (just my two favorite pages)

misprint 1.jpg

misprint 2.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
1567011833_okoart.png

1567012057_okkox.png

The 82nd Magic: The Gathering expansion set, “Throne of Eldraine” will be released on October 4, 2019. Themed around Grimm’s Fairy Tales and the Arthurian legend of Camelot, this set will introduce players to a new fantasy world and its denizens.

On Wednesday, for the first time, we get to meet one of the planeswalkers who is spending time in Eldraine. The illustrious Oko is a Fey shapeshifter who is as charismatic as he is conceited, a man who is mysterious, clever, and vain.

Oko’s story will be revealed in detail in the first “Throne of Eldraine” ebook, Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest. But today, we’re getting a sneak preview of his life and personality.

In order to get to know Oko a little better (and to figure out where he belongs on my planeswalker dateability chart), I interviewed Nic Kelman, Head of Story and Entertainment at Wizards of the Coast, who is one of the writers responsible for bringing his character to life.

Here is a Q&A to help you get to know the enigmatic Oko:

Lauren Orsini: Oko got his spark when his captors tried to suppress his shapeshifting. Can you tell me more about that? What did it feel like for Oko?

Nic Kelman: Oko is from a plane ruled by Fey who believe in a unified society, one where the ruling class has decided that for the betterment of all, the natural mischievousness of the Fey has to be suppressed. To the ruling class, they had created a perfect society—but for Oko, who was born with incredibly powerful shapeshifting abilities, this culture went against everything he was and contradicted his deepest, truest self.

Styling himself as a speaker of truth, Oko felt he held a mirror to the hypocrisy of his world. The ruling class did not quite see it this way. They subjected him to magical procedures intended to suppress his powers but only succeed in igniting his spark. We can imagine this was a terrible experience for him and one that would make it almost impossible for him to trust anyone again—especially those in positions of authority.

Orsini: Speaking of shapeshifting, what’s the most interesting shapeshift he’s done? (Alternate question: any good shapeshifting pranks he’s pulled?)

Kelman: Oko seeks out hypocrisy wherever he finds it…but by his own definition which often leads to quite cruel “pranks.” Ruining a wedding day, stealing the spotlight at someone’s lifetime moment of triumph, fooling a mother into believing her child has returned from a conflict – these are all great shapeshifting jokes to Oko who sees nothing as sacred, least of all the most noble of emotions.

Orsini: Additionally, can he shapeshift as other people? Like, other Planeswalkers?

Kelman: He absolutely can!

Orsini: Which Planeswalker does he get along with best?

Kelman: He generally tries to avoid revealing himself to other Planeswalkers, but I can imagine he would get along well with Chandra if he didn’t have such a mean streak.

Orsini: In Oko’s opinion, what’s the best part about being a Planeswalker?

Kelman: Never having to deal with the consequences of your actions if you don’t want to!

Orsini: What’s the worst part?

Kelman: To Oko, it would be feeling alone in the Multiverse. (He has yet to learn it doesn’t have to be this way – see his trust issues above).

Orsini: What do you think has been the biggest challenge in Oko’s life so far? How did he, or how is he working to, overcome it?

Kelman: I think probably the issues he faced on his Homeplane. They have shaped his life to this point and it will probably be some time before he finds the courage to trust anyone enough to grow beyond those experiences… if ever.

Want to learn more about Oko? More will be revealed in the first “Throne of Eldraine” ebook, Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest by Kate Elliot, available for preorder now.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Can choose any shape and decides to be an extra in a Wachowski sisters movie about a K Pop band

• 2Worf

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
King Arthur 2WU which summons his two dads, Merlin and Berlin. Merlin and Berlin come down and are immune to damage from bears.
Goldilocks 3GG, Passive is negate toxic masculinity, -3 summons 3 bears a 1/1, 2/2 and 3/3.

etc. etc.

Set Hype!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty good limited card. The 1/1 deathtouch for B is pretty much always fine, this one has a relevant creature type for set synergies and can also kicker draw a card when you draw it late, that's a recipe for success. Getting to break up the mana payment over multiple turns also makes them stronger cards than just their combined cost.

• 2Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
This card is good with cabal therapy. In a discard deck the 1/1 can be used for some beatdown. Also it doesn't get hosed by GY hate, unlike a lot of strong shit.

3.6/5

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
The one on the right is the “collectors” style frame or whatever the fuck they called it. Comes out of the special collectors packs I believe (can’t remember if there’s even a chance for those in normal packs).

There was a detailed post by WotC a while back about which types of packs have a chance for which shit.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
There’s also extended art, alt art, borderless Planeswalkers. Info at this link.

$25 booster packs, and 35 card focused color booster packs with 1.1 rares/mythics... yeah, I'll stick to buying singles off TCGplayer or something jesus fuck.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1. There better be gingerbread cookie monsters in the expansion.

2. What the Fuck was that trailer?? It was nice quality but I was seriously expecting Shrek to come over and eat the cookie.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oh god, they're going to use an All Star cover for one of their future trailers aren't they.