MTG thread

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't think there will likely be a dedicated food deck, but goose will probably see play in some kind of deck that has some incidental food creation.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't think there will likely be a dedicated food deck, but goose will probably see play in some kind of deck that has some incidental food creation.

That's my problem with it. There's not a lot of food generation outside of Oko and that one 3/3. That leaves Goose as an extremely effective Turn 2 ramp, especially for multi-colored+ decks, a minor mana sink....and a key part of an Oko deck. That's pretty fucking weak so far. We have plenty of ramp so I don't care, but it's not a very strong card.

Sterling

El Presidente
That's my problem with it. There's not a lot of food generation outside of Oko and that one 3/3. That leaves Goose as an extremely effective Turn 2 ramp, especially for multi-colored+ decks, a minor mana sink....and a key part of an Oko deck. That's pretty fucking weak so far. We have plenty of ramp so I don't care, but it's not a very strong card.
yeah if you're not playing 2 or 3 different cards that make food, that would make it pretty sketchy. 1 shot of ramp then 2 mana to make 1 mana later seems kind of weak. but if you have 10-12 cards in your deck that make food then you can get 2 or 3 mana out of it before you run out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
You guys are over analyzing it.

Goose only needs to tap once to get value.

With check lands and llanowar elf rotating a one shot BOP is very much standard playable.

3 Color green will want it, also ToE is also shaping up to be an equipment set to heaven forbid we get a constructed playable equipment that can go on a 0/2 flyer.

Right now this is the only way to get the multiple 3 drop planeswalkers out turn 2 with out relying on the randomness of the sloth+land.

It also randomly daggers burn, everyone knows you bolt the bird on turn 1 but this one punishes you for doing so by leaving 3 points if life gain on the table.

1. The card is good
2. It will see play in meta decks.
3. Stop thinking about food.dec that's draft shit you just need one food.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
You guys are over analyzing it.

Goose only needs to tap once to get value.

With check lands and llanowar elf rotating a one shot BOP is very much standard playable.

3 Color green will want it, also ToE is also shaping up to be an equipment set to heaven forbid we get a constructed playable equipment that can go on a 0/2 flyer.

Right now this is the only way to get the multiple 3 drop planeswalkers out turn 2 with out relying on the randomness of the sloth+land.

It also randomly daggers burn, everyone knows you bolt the bird on turn 1 but this one punishes you for doing so by leaving 3 points if life gain on the table.

1. The card is good
2. It will see play in meta decks.
3. Stop thinking about food.dec that's draft shit you just need one food.

What are your thoughts on Oko while we are discussing food? Obviously not as strong as Teferi but? What about the other 3 cost PW?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
What are your thoughts on Oko while we are discussing food? Obviously not as strong as Teferi but? What about the other 3 cost PW?

Oko is good but I think he's going to be more powerful in older formats.

The +1 to remove shit like urza, goyf, engineer, challace of the void, ensnaring bridge thopter foundry batterskull etc etc etc etc is very powerful.

Sure they get a 3/3 but that will be smaller than your goyf or icefang coatl and won't instantly kill you like urza or engineer will.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I'm with tiggles. There can go in a golgary controlarchetype, powering nissa, with the black removal that gives food as a side effect.

Also against red burn, it blocks 1/1s and it gains life later on.

The goosee is good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
eld-192-grumgully-the-generous.jpg

Might be abusable in current standard with all the recent +1/+1 counter synergy? Maybe even something ridiculous like Simic Ascendency?

Four color Gates of the dead with this, Yarok, Simic Ascendency, and Evolution Sage? Hahahaha either jankiest of jank or the next Kethis combo. Obviously one is more likely but hey you don't come up with decks like Kethis by looking at the obvious stuff. :p

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
eld-188-drown-in-the-loch.jpg

No matter what deck I'm currently playing in Standard, I always keep a Dimir control deck on the side. This card is amazing imo. Better for Modern than Standard probably but still great. Instant 2 main 2 sideboard haha

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
View attachment 223200

No matter what deck I'm currently playing in Standard, I always keep a Dimir control deck on the side. This card is amazing imo. Better for Modern than Standard probably but still great. Instant 2 main 2 sideboard haha

I see this card as a sideboard card in Modern for sure.

I still believe that the actual card "Counter Spell" would not be played that much in Modern it's too slow. A harder to cast and more limited counter spell won't do any better.

BUT....

Turn 1: Thoughtseize
Turn 2+ This card seems like a house

Most things in Modern cost 2 and the ability to use it as a counter spell or a kill spell is powerful.

ONLY if you are on the play this card is probably too slow on the draw.

So 2 in the board for when you know you are on the play. Keep your Fatal Pushes/Spell Snare/Pierces in the main.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I see this card as a sideboard card in Modern for sure.

I still believe that the actual card "Counter Spell" would not be played that much in Modern it's too slow. A harder to cast and more limited counter spell won't do any better.

BUT....

Turn 1: Thoughtseize
Turn 2+ This card seems like a house

Most things in Modern cost 2 and the ability to use it as a counter spell or a kill spell is powerful.

ONLY if you are on the play this card is probably too slow on the draw.

So 2 in the board for when you know you are on the play. Keep your Fatal Pushes/Spell Snare/Pierces in the main.

Even with fetches in the format you don't think it's main able? I don't really know Modern very well so I'm just guessing here tho. Lots of Spikes talk about this card being potentially OP.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's weak early and a hard counter late. It nearly always kills any meaningful modern critter without splashing green or ramping your opponent. The only thing it doesn't really address is Gurmag Angler.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It's weak early and a hard counter late. It nearly always kills any meaningful modern critter without splashing green or ramping your opponent. The only thing it doesn't really address is Gurmag Angler.

Fatal push deals with everything this does for 1 black Mana.

Two Mana counterspells are too slow when you are on the draw and can't counter the goyf or or stoneforge and late game you would want to be casting cryptic command.

There's a reason the most played counterspell in the format is free and the second most played counterspell costs 4 Mana.

You either have to do a ton of shit (Cryptic Command) or do it as early as possible (force of negation)

A two Mana kill spell better suck your dick when in the same format as Fatal Push, Lightning bolt and path to exile.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I mean yeah, removal exists. I'm not suggesting you ever play this over the first 1cmc removal. If anything, this fits in a flex slot over something like a Logic Knot so that it at least has some play to the board.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
celd-26-realm-cloaked-giant.jpg

Welp, that answers the question of what my third color is for my silly Adventure Control deck I was talking about hahaha

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
eld-159-giant-opportunity.jpg

Is Food really not supposed to be construed playable as a mechanic? Generating Food tokens on turns 1 and 2 and then playing this on turn 3 sounds nasty...

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Edit: you can wrath, play him a few turns later and bounce him to your hand to wrath again with 3feri.

And now you are starting to see the sort of thing I was seeing when I was think this Adventure Control deck might not be so crazy after all haha. One of the Adventure cards has a Gravedigger effect, that and Teferi and etc etc, that's infinite recursion on all your 2-for-1 cards (of which everything in the deck could be!)