MTG thread

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
I’m stunned that they tagged opal. Happy as Fuck as a UW control player. But stunned. I really wish Titan lost Ouat or pact. I’m glad i ditched 3/4 of my lattices.

Sterling

El Presidente
Opal should have been banned years ago. Although I do enjoy the dumb shit with the banning payoff cards instead of ridiculous enablers.

Necrath Evilcraft

Opal dodged bans for so long and WoTC never even addressed it that I can recall in their ban list write ups as a card they were looking at. It really seemed like it was a pillar to them. I guess after they took looting I should have assumed nothing is actually sacred.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Astrolabe still needs to go so people can play normal basics again, but this is fine for now.

Lattice is a bit weird but whatever. Lol at people wanting a twin unban if they are banning 6 mana 2 card combos.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Karn was badly worded and it should not affect mana abilities, like 99% of things in the game.

It was kind of nice, (lore wise) to see Urza dominating with an artifact deck. He is the OG Planeswalker walker after all, I also like to see non counter blue decks. DIAF countertop balance

For example I really liked this game, from its casting, and explanation to how Syed maneuvered it.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
1578952805938.png

ok 4 down, 1 to go.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Lattice is a bit weird but whatever

the hard lock with Lattice was just too unfun of a way to lose, i guess? i thought it was fun in a weirdly flavorful way but apparently too many in the community thought it was just cheap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Necrath Evilcraft

I would have personally banned ensnaring bridge over lattice, then the hard lock isn't nearly as good against a creature meta versus control/combo one.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Opal was in the same position in Modern as Workshops in Vintage. For a long time it was a pillar with a bunch of busted stuff it enabled. Unlike Shops, Opal unlocked a lot of really broken velocity beyond artifacts and we've arrived at the current state. When all it did was speed up Affinity no one gave a fuck, but now it's leading to busted grindy turn 2s with counterspell backup on turn 1. It's gotta go.

Astrolabe is fine IMO. It does require real deckbuilding constraints, and while it makes Blood Moon worse it really just means Modern gets an extra cantrip. Without Opal, I suspect it will be far less oppressive. There just aren't that many reasons for splash colors anymore without a twink planeswalker to enable or metalcraft requirements.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm still shocked that dig and tcruise are not banned yet or even seem particularly degenerate.

Also shocked that certain staples like Siege Rhino or Reality Smasher are nowhere in the format.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I'm still shocked that dig and tcruise are not banned yet or even seem particularly degenerate.

Also shocked that certain staples like Siege Rhino or Reality Smasher are nowhere in the format.
Well they banned the fast mana for eldrazi long ago.
Also siege rhino mana combination is hard. Maybe with the green guy that makes creatures uncounterable, it sees play.
also ballista and Heliod is gonna get banned next. That combo is ridiculou.

Sterling

El Presidente

Eldrazi Tron was largely invalidated by Oko. I'd expect Tron decks to have a bit more variety now.

Necrath Evilcraft

Personally im just debating what blood moon deck is the best suited for the new meta. the three that come to mind are UR moon RW Prison and some green based ramp moon like devotion or tooth and nail.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Turns out polluted delta is the problem, not treasure cruise.

Just like it's always been.