MTG thread

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Complaining about Agent of Treachery just shows a lack of understanding of what is actually happening to standard.

The issue is not Agent of Treachery. Or Cavalier of Flames. Or Kenrith.

The issue is Wilderness Reclamation. And Fires of Invention. And Growth Spiral and hexproof mana bears and lotus field whatever that wolf-overgrowth thing is.

The issue is Hydroid Krasis having a cast trigger instead of an ETB.

The issue is battle-cruiser style magic that WOTC has been pushing for years because it makes the drooling retards at their lauded "kitchen table" and commander playgroups happy.

It's killing the game and it makes me real sad.
What do you want though? What do the pros want?

Do you want uninteractive solitare magic combo back? Isn't that what Legacy is for? Unless they're going to boost to hell the level of blue interactivity spells (because that'll be fun...) you're really left with creature brawling.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Local shops have full sold out of their initial wave of product in pre-order. Either the initial wave of product is much smaller than normal, or them trumpbux is flowin

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
1D7D4A0D-3453-464F-8259-AE82A1BA47C4.jpeg

BD7BA436-4AEE-44BB-8791-A10FA89E7EC9.jpeg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Downloaded MTG Arena. Did the tutorial, then did the color wheel challenge (4 intro battles then 1 against a player, for each color). I started.playing regular people with the green/red deck they give you or the blue. Seems fun so far. Not spending any money yet.

Someone tell me why I wouldnt want to play this? Is the money sink more/less than the physical game?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Downloaded MTG Arena. Did the tutorial, then did the color wheel challenge (4 intro battles then 1 against a player, for each color). I started.playing regular people with the green/red deck they give you or the blue. Seems fun so far. Not spending any money yet.

Someone tell me why I wouldnt want to play this? Is the money sink more/less than the physical game?

If you are very good at drafting, you can break even/profit after an initial investment.

If you are trying to climb to the Mythic rank in constructed, you are going to need many wildcards, which costs a not inconsiderable amount of real life money to acquire on the quick.

If you just want to scratch a Magic itch? Yeah, it is pretty awesome.

I just buy the 'battle pass' and nothing else with each expansion. Usually get to Diamond rank. It is fun. But current meta is super AIDS right now due to all of the cheating creatures out cheese.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you are very good at drafting, you can break even/profit after an initial investment.

If you are trying to climb to the Mythic rank in constructed, you are going to need many wildcards, which costs a not inconsiderable amount of real life money to acquire on the quick.

If you just want to scratch a Magic itch? Yeah, it is pretty awesome.

I just buy the 'battle pass' and nothing else with each expansion. Usually get to Diamond rank. It is fun. But current meta is super AIDS right now due to all of the cheating creatures out cheese.
Nice. I really just want to play and have fun. I won some local tourneys as a kid and always had a lot of fun. A few years ago I gave my collection away to a kid just starting out so doubt I'd ever want to go physical again. Maybe some FNM one day

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
Dumbass questions incoming.

What set should I be getting packs from?

What's the release cadence like?

Release Cadence is not really set in stone.

I would recommend just grabbing the latest. Each set is playable in and of itself but the easier format to get into is Standard. Standard rotates every 2 years? so Sets are always falling out of it.

I got myself bought into 3 cases of Ikoria Collectors at ~190 USD/box. Going to open several boxes and leave the rest sealed in my finished basement.

Sterling

El Presidente
Release Cadence is not really set in stone.

I would recommend just grabbing the latest. Each set is playable in and of itself but the easier format to get into is Standard. Standard rotates every 2 years? so Sets are always falling out of it.

I got myself bought into 3 cases of Ikoria Collectors at ~190 USD/box. Going to open several boxes and leave the rest sealed in my finished basement.
Standard rotates every fall, but consists of 2 years worth of cards. So when the fall expansion releases, you lose the 4 sets from before the previous fall release.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Dumbass questions incoming.

Probably best to focus on the latest set. Any cards you collect over the 4-card limit are turned into gems.

You can use wildcards to craft the cards you want for specific decks.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

There's four sets per year. A "core" set in summer (basic cards), which is the one that your starting decks come from, two sets in winter/spring, one set in fall.

Every fall, the sets before the last four are rotated "out" (you can only play those cards for very specific formats), so your card sets available range from 4 to 7.

Focus on the sets that aren't rotating out the set this year: Throne of Eldraine, Theros Beyond Death, Ikoria. Core 20 will be replaced by Core 21 this summer and be rotated out of standard this fall, and the other sets (Ravnica Allegiances, Guilds of Ravnica, War of the Spark) will be dropped at the same time. Ikoria is a good pick, but you will have packs/cards for free playing every day (unfortunately, you do have to play every day to maximize those rewards, which is why I pretty much stopped playing - I hate skinner boxes that want to use the daily habit FOMO game).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's four sets per year. A "core" set in summer (basic cards), which is the one that your starting decks come from, two sets in winter/spring, one set in fall.

Every fall, the sets before the last four are rotated "out" (you can only play those cards for very specific formats), so your card sets available range from 4 to 7.

Focus on the sets that aren't rotating out the set this year: Throne of Eldraine, Theros Beyond Death, Ikoria. Core 20 will be replaced by Core 21 this summer and be rotated out of standard this fall, and the other sets (Ravnica Allegiances, Guilds of Ravnica, War of the Spark) will be dropped at the same time. Ikoria is a good pick, but you will have packs/cards for free playing every day (unfortunately, you do have to play every day to maximize those rewards, which is why I pretty much stopped playing - I hate skinner boxes that want to use the daily habit FOMO game).
Thanks guys. That sums it up.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Ikoria packs also has the benefit of building you a competitive cycling deck with just its commons/uncommons. It is going to be the best thing you can build without having many wildcards for rares/mythic.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone know where you can do better than $175 out the door for a box of Modern Horizons?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was going to try and get a Gaea’s Cradle just to have one since the reserve list was tumbling a bit and with my free money I could afford to splurge on a card but fuck me I guess the list shot up since everyone’s getting play money. LGS was open for curbside pickup and their last day open they had a cradle sitting there for $275 I was going to pick up when I got the chance. Fucker’s $425 now. Oh well

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Was going to try and get a Gaea’s Cradle just to have one since the reserve list was tumbling a bit and with my free money I could afford to splurge on a card but fuck me I guess the list shot up since everyone’s getting play money. LGS was open for curbside pickup and their last day open they had a cradle sitting there for $275 I was going to pick up when I got the chance. Fucker’s $425 now. Oh well

They are still about 250$, 300 tops, in the EU, for NM english ones.

US prices are bullshit.

This playset of japanese excellent ones is only 850.

You could probably buy them, and sell 2, to recoup 80% of your initial expense.