MTG thread

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The fuck is the point of paper cards though? Not like any game stores are gonna survive the rona, much less have people be willing to go sit in a sweaty nerd room to play.

MTG events were already grody as fuck and now then are potentially even deadly? Ain't no one gonna turn out for those.

you're forgetting that we're all American humans. This shit's not even over yet and 60%+ percent of the populous want to go back to old normal, to just ignore it into being gone. *Once* things settle down, an easy cure is found, or a vaccine has been put into action, or we just flat out run out of vulnerable people we care about; Cardboard nerds will go back to being cardboard nerds like every other American.

Even in Asia, where masks are worn sometimes purely for social reasons, they invented how many of the CCGs? Where there are Cardboard nerds, there will be cardboard. Where there's enough cardboard, there will be tournies and gatherings.

Now, in the *short* term; you very well could be right. But eventually, the empty storefronts will attract some other wanabe 1st time owner/operator, (maybe even the whale who bought everything during the going out of business sale), and a new hobbyshop will pop up.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All my local stores are weathering this BS. Limited hours, doorstep pickup, etc., but weathering it.

I haven't played in a shop in... decades. But with friends/family we're still having fun with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The fuck is the point of paper cards though? Not like any game stores are gonna survive the rona, much less have people be willing to go sit in a sweaty nerd room to play.

MTG events were already grody as fuck and now then are potentially even deadly? Ain't no one gonna turn out for those.
Our local casual shops have had their best sales ever the last 3 months. Folks are chompin at the bit to get back to actually playing. Had maxed out (capped-attendance) prereleases for M21 since our state is open. At least one of the shops has gone back to having folks in for random casual play on wednesday/friday, since that group of players were just meeting at people's houses to play anyway.

Our all-in tournament shop is probably going to die though, competitive players don't buy sealed product for shit, so without any tournaments drawing folks to the singles case their magic sales are belly-up.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>

the store I've been going to sells out their capacity because people bored and wanted something to do.

the only difference is you shuffle and cut your own deck, wear a thing on face

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So are we just gonna gloss over the full art for
Chandra, Flames Catalyst

ECDA3DD2-DE00-4586-9E77-E55168D890A0.jpeg

And a pair of legs that go all the way to Canada?

• 1Like

OneofOne

A site I buy from, I've been waiting for them to list JumpStart, see what they do with it. They finally put it up a few days ago, at $160, which I immediately laugh at. Today, it's sold out.

I shouldn't be surprised - Rudy sold about 450 boxes at that price in less than an hour, but damn. People need to calm the fuck down.

Rerun

Molten Core Raider
The double master leaks are mostly confirmed now, along with a bunch of near bulk. Maybe they decided to spread the spoilers more evenly over the two weeks, but I’m not used to seeing $1-5 dollar rares spoiled on day 1 for a masters set. I’m glad I stuck with my no new product pledge and didn’t preorder. Still, I’m sure they’ll have enough bomb mythics to keep people buying $100 packs.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Double Masters is a rushjob used to replace the slot that was originally meant for Commander Legends, it's going to be a rough product.

Jumpstart is pretty enjoyable, if you can find it for a sane price and not missprinted into the ground.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Bought a couple of packs of Jump Start to play with my brother when I go visit him next since he seemed interested when we fucked around with a pair of intro decks. Would have just bought a box, but not at almost $200/box, fuck that.

That Karn is fucking ugly as sin. Looks like it's part of the Urza land panorama.

1595287312791.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I wonder how angry a VIP Pack Flip-It-or-Rip-It video would make the magic internets.

Rerun

Molten Core Raider
No offense to Mark Tedin, I mean Juzam is one of my favorite Magic arts ever and he did do the original Power Plant arts, but at the price point the box topper versions will probably be at I’d much rather get the original Antiquities versions (if I didn’t already have the set).

Also, I’ve read comments that the new Karn is “old magic style”. As if that’s a good excuse for how it looks. There’s a wide range of style and quality in 93/94 art, but just because something doesn’t look like a modern magic card doesn’t mean it’s a good example of “old magic style.” I’ve spent too much money buying 93/94 cards because I love the art and gameplay of that era. I have zero urge to buy box topper Karn. The rest of the panorama is in the same style and, while I won’t be buying them, they look fine to me. Why is it that people are loving them and disliking Karn? Could it be because Karn is not “old magic style” and he’s just bad?

• 1Like

OneofOne

Speaking of those spoilers...

Remember when WOTC said you'd get 2 borderless showcase foils of the Rare/Mythic variety per $100 booster?

Opps, they meant to say 32 out of 40 possible, will be -

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
No offense to Mark Tedin, I mean Juzam is one of my favorite Magic arts ever and he did do the original Power Plant arts, but at the price point the box topper versions will probably be at I’d much rather get the original Antiquities versions (if I didn’t already have the set).

Also, I’ve read comments that the new Karn is “old magic style”. As if that’s a good excuse for how it looks. There’s a wide range of style and quality in 93/94 art, but just because something doesn’t look like a modern magic card doesn’t mean it’s a good example of “old magic style.” I’ve spent too much money buying 93/94 cards because I love the art and gameplay of that era. I have zero urge to buy box topper Karn. The rest of the panorama is in the same style and, while I won’t be buying them, they look fine to me. Why is it that people are loving them and disliking Karn? Could it be because Karn is not “old magic style” and he’s just bad?

should have gotten Mark Zug to do the art of Karn

B1CB7043-D54B-4966-AF15-4465A0D3D39C.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rerun

Molten Core Raider
My jumpstart preorder showed up and after watching some gameplay on YouTube I decided to just crack it. There were no misprints. Half the box (literally 12 packs) was filled with blue themes. I had 3 copies of above the clouds and 3 of spirits. I had 2 green packs total in the box. I was hoping for a roughly even color spread in packs.

I got the mill theme for my only mythic theme. I was expecting 2-3 mythic themes for the box, but I did get Bruvac, Oracle, Rhystic, Neyith, Zurzoth, and Terror of the Peaks. Since I was able to get a box for the prehype price I’m pretty happy.

The packs/possible decks don’t seem balanced at all, which matches the gameplay I’ve been watching. I was considering keeping the packs sleeved for game nights, but getting so much blue and red and black duplicates makes that seem kinda boring.

Have any of you cracked a full Jumpstart box? Do your experiences match up more with the Professor’s comments regarding replay value in his review? I’d really rather loan out decks or play more traditional sealed with friends.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm sure WotC payed him thousands to shit out that piece of garbage in about 20 minutes.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Welp, since I can't go visit my brother now, I popped those other 4 jump start packs. I bought 6 from the same box (well, assuming they didn't refill the box when it got low) and first two packs I opened were the Spooky deck and the sea one with the fucking whale. The four today: 2 Wizards packs with different rares and 2 Rainbow packs that were identical. What the fuck.