MTG thread

Chris

Potato del Grande
In news of yet ever more products from WOTC, Zendikar Rising will feature a new booster pack called a Set Booster, which looks like Collector's Lite - Set Boosters

And no, this won't have fetchlands. Popular opinion is they'll still be in the Collector's boosters, guess we'll see.

Also, Rudy called it with the signature shit. Not fully there yet, but step one has now been taken.
They created a new type of booster that looks great in a corporate board meeting. All that "fireworks" stuff was a bit cringe and patronising.

How many kinds of booster do they have now? I think having boosters with a theme (eg all cards in one colour, or all cards from one faction) would be good to test out for constructed players.

Ii don't like all those alternate art shit though. If you figured out how to make cards look better, then make the cards look better.

I said it before, they are trying to bleed more money out of their limited customer base because they can't get kids playing.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Galaxy brain on why there's that strange 6 duals number mentioned by Maro in Zendikar: Omnath is 4 colors. So he needs a UR, UG, UW, RG, RW, GW set of duals.

Vinen

God is dead
They created a new type of booster that looks great in a corporate board meeting. All that "fireworks" stuff was a bit cringe and patronising.

How many kinds of booster do they have now? I think having boosters with a theme (eg all cards in one colour, or all cards from one faction) would be good to test out for constructed players.

Ii don't like all those alternate art shit though. If you figured out how to make cards look better, then make the cards look better.

I said it before, they are trying to bleed more money out of their limited customer base because they can't get kids playing.

All I want is the art style of of the first few years back. Current art is too fucking flashy

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
OK Vinen Vinen don't lie, you signed up for Rudy's VIP case opening, didn't you?

Shit is BEYOND too rich for my blood, but damn if they won't be some interesting vids.

*edit

Looks like he's uploaded his first $1430 video - 16x VIP packs -
Thank god I didn't waste money on this shit. Not going to spoil the pulls should anyone actually care, other than to say the mythic pull rate is... underwhelming. Not sure if the guy lost money over all, but this is hardcore gambling at it's finest, and no one can argue otherwise.

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Hard to believe that people are still spending premium money on non-reserved shit.

Should be clear they are going to print the value of everything into the ground.

Then again I've said that for 5+ years.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
I bought a VIP box as an investment. Watching that video leads me to believe that was a mistake.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Hard to believe that people are still spending premium money on non-reserved shit.

Should be clear they are going to print the value of everything into the ground.

Then again I've said that for 5+ years.

I think there will be two tiers of value, alt/custom/foil/unique frame/hologram ect and normie cards, normie cards being cheap ain't the worst to keep the game alive.

Vinen

God is dead
OK Vinen Vinen don't lie, you signed up for Rudy's VIP case opening, didn't you?

Shit is BEYOND too rich for my blood, but damn if they won't be some interesting vids.

*edit

Looks like he's uploaded his first $1430 video - 16x VIP packs -
Thank god I didn't waste money on this shit. Not going to spoil the pulls should anyone actually care, other than to say the mythic pull rate is... underwhelming. Not sure if the guy lost money over all, but this is hardcore gambling at it's finest, and no one can argue otherwise.

Yes. I did. I was going to open one of my cases I'm storing but I decided to just do a video of it with him. I paid like 18 hours after he listed his opening on Patreon so I may be one of the later videos.

This was funded by my sale of 4 cases of Ikoria collector boxes at like 290 USD a box. I dumped my entire holding when they spiked. I paid 190-210 per collectors box as my basis.

Last edited:

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's how you do it! Let us know when yours comes up, if that's cool. I'll be rooting for you.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
7CA3B0AB-C29C-4E43-B3EE-BA63A917933B.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
MTG design for the last couple years has certainly been uh, something?

What a fucking mess they've managed to make.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The best part is that they're paying an entire team of mid-level pros to get these results.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
We have now reached the same number of banned cards in standard as back in Urza's which is the all time high lol.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Are banned cards only a problem because it devalues physical product? Or is it something else, the inherent lack of QA to get it right the first time?

Sterling

El Presidente
Are banned cards only a problem because it devalues physical product? Or is it something else, the inherent lack of QA to get it right the first time?
Well, the devaluation of physical cards is a thing, but shouldn't really be a factor in deciding if a card is banned or not. And, if they're pushing into new spaces and trying different things, some stuff will work out differently than intended. The problem is that it's been so egregious the last couple of years that Standard now has 10 banned cards. On top of that they had to nerf an entire set mechanic, which is totally unprecedented.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

banned standard cards are a problem because each instance is a separate instance of them admitting they're retarded.

• 1Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
banned standard cards are a problem because each instance is a separate instance of them admitting they're retarded.
When it's an outlier card that was pushed a bit too much or if something in a new space goes awry it's something that can happen. When it's 10 cards and a fundamental set mechanic that's fuckery.

• 1Truth!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, Hearthstone's most recent expansion required 5 balance patches to knock Demon Hunter(class introduced in said expansion) off the top spot in the meta. And if a new expansion wasn't around the corner, it's debatable whether they could reclaim it yet again.

So, while I get that 5 patches and 10s of card nerfed in one expansion is quite silly, there's also inherent meta shakeup. If the developers got it right the first time, that's your meta for the majority of the expansion. I'm not really saying one is better than the other. But I do like that Blizzard is seemingly more willing to change cards than previously.

That's why I was asking about devaluing physical product. With digital cards, it's much easier to refund "value".

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
These ramp decks had a sticker price of what, 500-600 dollars? That represents a good amount of buying/trading for a lot of players. When you get a bunch of cards ejected from the format that deck you put together both lost value and also no longer exists. Start buying/trading to put together the next hot thing oh wait we had to ban some of those cards too. Sorry. Wait, we changed how an entire mechanic works because boy did we fuck that one up royally.

With how contested everyone's time and money are now I'm not sure Wizards can afford to continue to generate game play experiences that aren't all that great. What worries me the most is that a lot of the mistakes are stoves they already burned themselves on before. Do we really need to learn AGAIN that free spells are dangerous? That pushed three mana planeswalkers are dangerous? It's like the company lost a ton of institutional knowledge somewhere along the way. Wilderness Reclamation being an uncommon is such the canary in the coal mine. I look at that card and I see a group of designers that are missing an awful lot of the game's history.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users