MTG thread

Chris

Potato del Grande
MTG design for the last couple years has certainly been uh, something?

What a fucking mess they've managed to make.
It all started when Maro jerked himself off about how awesome they were adding a playdesign team or whatever the fuck as a layer between cards going through their design and playtest teams.

They also jerked themselves off all three of the times they changed the rotation/block structure in a few years about how they had learned all these super smart and amazing lessons.

I used to love Maro's game design articles, but I think it's led to them all being full of themselves and thinking they can do no wrong.

I think they are in panic about paper player numbers, but every panic driven change is making it worse.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I'm gonna go with 3 main factors causing multiple bannings in recent years.

rosewater being obsessed with doubling things which is inherently broken, but he sure does loves doubling mana, counters, anything.

Buffing powerlevel of standard to sell to commander and modern players combined

new rotation rules making the cardpool even larger

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Going from Large-Small-Small to Large-Large-Large for set sizes also introduces more chances to fuck things up, while creeping the average price of standard.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
Going from Large-Small-Small to Large-Large-Large for set sizes also introduces more chances to fuck things up, while creeping the average price of standard.

Yes. I prefer the large, small, small personally as a collector. The small boxes are more fun to open IMHO. Nothing like my 2x Mox Diamond + Queen Stronghold box.

• 1Solidarity

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Conversation in my Magic telegram channel about 3feri gettingbanned led to this discussion

them: “Just wait until New New Phyrexia for Two-feri.”

Me:
“Teferi, The Compleated
Legendary planeswalker - Teferi
UB

10 loyalty

+1 destroy target creature, it’s controller discards a card

-1 return target permanent to its owner hands, they discard a card and you draw a card

-12 search your deck for any amount of Teferi planeswalkers and put them Onto the battlefield. Double the amount of loyalty counters on all Teferi planeswalkers you control

Will prob be banned a week before New New Phyrexia cycles out“

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Conversation in my Magic telegram channel about 3feri gettingbanned led to this discussion

them: “Just wait until New New Phyrexia for Two-feri.”

Me:
“Teferi, The Compleated
Legendary planeswalker - Teferi
UB

10 loyalty

+1 destroy target creature, it’s controller discards a card

-1 return target permanent to its owner hands, they discard a card and you draw a card

-12 search your deck for any amount of Teferi planeswalkers and put them Onto the battlefield. Double the amount of loyalty counters on all Teferi planeswalkers you control

Will prob be banned a week before New New Phyrexia cycles out“

I'm sure they'll come up with some 100$ presale value shit, which gets banned in standard & modern and is irrelevant elsewhere

Teferi is 9$ on cardmarket now, I expect it to stabilize at 6$

This is why you shouldn't buy shit that isn't reserved

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
Got box protectors for some of my more expensive boxes.
20200805_184730.jpg

• 1Weird Boner

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Then vacuum seal them with beef jerky dehydration packets. Then ready to mail to me. Just curious , what cards are your more expensive/better cards in those sets? I have been slowly selling off my 1st edition Base set Pokémon cards and from 16 of them I have made ~800.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Mox Diamonds are $400 and Gaea's Cradles are $500. But there's a few other hits around the $100 point. Time Spiral, Tolarian Academy, Serra's Sanctum, etc. At this point the value is in the rarity of a 25-year uncracked box more than the pull

Sterling

El Presidente
you pretty much have to spike multiple big cards for old boxes to be worth more opened than left sealed. Like you're less than 10 percent on most old product.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Mox Diamonds are $400 and Gaea's Cradles are $500. But there's a few other hits around the $100 point. Time Spiral, Tolarian Academy, Serra's Sanctum, etc. At this point the value is in the rarity of a 25-year uncracked box more than the pull
If you regularly watch Rudy, he sometimes mention that for those old sets, the price of the sealed product is completely independent of the singles market.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Because there's more copies of singles in circulation than there are sealed boxes. Lower supply vs apparently sufficient demand from sealed product collectors. I know at least a couple locals who started trying to get a box of every set after they reached mid-level salaries.

Vinen

God is dead
Pretty snazzy. Where do you pick those up at? Wouldn't mind upgrading some of my Ziploc bags (lolz).

Was chatting with a store owner in Las Vegas earlier this year as we were negotiating on some power 9s. He mentioned these to me. like 30 USD a pop.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Was wondering what Target, etc were going to do with all this theft. People have been talking about how easy it is to steal at the big boxes for some time now. Never done it myself, but seems it was stupid easy.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was wondering what Target, etc were going to do with all this theft. People have been talking about how easy it is to steal at the big boxes for some time now. Never done it myself, but seems it was stupid easy.
Childhood past time.