MTG thread

rad

Lord of Guk
I have yet to encounter a creature that has anywhere near the effect on deckbuilding and play that say, Stasis, had.
Oh Stasis, how I love thee...

Speaking of red mana... Shaman is going to be pimp juice.

rrr_img_7129.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Notably, she lets you convert Cavern of Souls mana into usable mana for Rancors/Pillar of Flames, which will be useful if Naya Humans is ever a thing. The Champion of the Parish into her+lightning mauler random draw is unlikely, but mildly amusing.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Skullcrack is a direct replacement for Flames of the Blood Hand in Modern burn. The exact same card for one less mana, admittedly one less damage too? Yes, please. Standard RDW is more creature based so its probably more a sideboard consideration for lifegain based effects.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That's not the case at all. Not really. In sets from 3rd to Invasion Block you have things like quality hand destruction, mass land destruction (and 3 mana land destruction spells), other forms of mana denial, tutors, super good card draw, better counterspells, and the kid of acceleration they just don't make anymore. All of the denial strategies of the past have been completely and utterly eliminated from Standard along with any and all high tier combo decks. It is true that the quality of creatures is insanely high but that's because that's how you are supposed to play the game now. You swing with dudes. Really, really good dudes with abilities and synergy and all kinds of come into play effects and shit. You do not make it you strategy to prevent your opponent from playing the game through blowing up all their lands or never letting them untap, never letting them cast a relevant spell, wrecking their hand, or piecing together your combo turn 4.
I have stopped playing after Mirrodin block, because I didn't like the creature focus so much with my favorite decks being stuff like mono black control, Affinity, astral slides and so on. I'm pretty sure one of the things that caused the shift were decks like U/B Psychatog and UGW Mirrari's wake, because after that the decks that played mostly in the opponent's turn simply vanished. They weren't OP, no cards in them were ever banned, but they removed a lot of luck due to the card advantage they were capable of getting. 2 years (?) later, after rather weird Onslaught/Legion/Scourge, we had the Skullclamp clusterfuck, which basically let you play creature decks with even bigger card advantage, no wonder it was banned and the whole affinity mechanic which was I guess the last breath of tinker and it's crazy combos.

I really want to come back at some point in time, but no local tournaments make it pretty tough to justify and I like the physical cards, so MTGO is a no-go for me.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're looking at it from a competitive angle, and that's all true and valid.

Now look at it from the "selling cards to kids" angle. A great majority of new players love smashing with beasties. Trying to smash, but getting smashed instead? Tough break, wana go 3 of 5?

Losing to denial, not getting to play your deck, that generates Fuck This Game level hate. That drives off new blood and is bad for the bottom line.

So, as you see, there's reasons from many angles on why disruption as a win mechanic has been really toned down.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I dunno, I was raging last night playing a denial deck {mostly black} that wanted to clear the board after they had got a Garruk down {the one which generates 3/3 tokens}. Denial strategies are certainly possible, its just that its not an auto win any more. Note that I didn't think this deck was unbeatable, it went to 3 and I lost the last one because I forgot to hit him in one turn {I may have had a little drinkie or 3}.
MTG these days has many viable archetypes and is only the stronger for it.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I suppose I could be looking at it from an incorrect perspective. The creatures are very, very powerful compared to the old days, but it feels like the spells are too. I dunno, maybe I haven't been introduced to enough of the new cards, to call it. Though, what I mostly played was spells decks, not creature-centric decks, so seeing the new beasties stomping face was frustrating.

There are a couple local shops that do drafting twice a week for really cheap + pizza, which I've been thinking of checking out.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Besides Thundermaws everything I want is going to be in the new set, grabbed huntsmasters and thragtusks instead of thundermaws for right now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got my thundermaws for 13 dollars when they were at their low point after the rotation.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Ya, wish I had as well. Hoping Gruuls stomping grounds will not be too expensive.

Thoughts on Clan defiance, Sorcery, 1green 1red X, Clan defiance deals X damage to target creature with flying; clan defiance deal x damage to target creature without flying; and / or clan defiance deals x damage to target player.

Signal the clans will be my answer to terminus, wonder what else this set will have. Skull crack seems like great sideboard.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
well the X WR spell, yeaaah nya has at least 1 good charm, 2 solid X spells, and with what we allready have, solid beaters, heck nyaa humans can be possible as well

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Spotlight is sideboard quality, Aurelia's Fury is pretty good disruption and totally broken in limited.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not a good sideboard card. Take a functional card out of your deck to put in a card that lets you use your removal, if you have it, to trade for a card. And you still have to draw it or your removal is still useless.

That card is a trap by the designers.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Have yet to see this in all in auras. Been dicking around with it this morning on MTGO with decent success when I don't end up mana screwed or can't find my total of 8 creatures I have to run in it. Thoughts and/or loan of some non basic lands for an evening?

T1 Slippery Boggle 1/1 Hexproof
T2 Arcanum Wings Flying, U11 Swap aura /w one in hand
T3 Swap for Eldrazi Conscription. 11/11 trample annihilator 2 hexproof

Living the dream isn't that uncommon running four of each. Deck is fairly basic all in UW sans those two cards which I haven't seen elsewhere. I just wish I actually had fetches/duels on MTGO (and of course Daybreak Coronets) to have it run close to consistant. Without the lands to support UWG it's too weak imo. Missing out on four 1cc and four 2cc hexproof leads to bad mulls and keeps.
Anyone who actually runs all in auras care to give it a shot and share some thoughts? Picking up those 8 only ran me 1.4tix from mtgotraders.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Bogle decks may well prove to be a flash in the pan because up until they broke out no one was running enchantment hate. A low creature count is the weak point. Sweepers, sacrifice effects, discard all work well [there's more sideboard tech like Chalice of the Void set to 1 that hurts them bad]. I haven't seen that many of them in dailys tbh.
Ofc things being what they are Daybreak Coronet has tripled in price over the last 3 weeks ..

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I imagine they will always be around. In modern they have a decent chance to go off and win by turn 3 and excluding land base and coronet (now) the deck is dirt damn cheap.