MTG thread

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry for the triple post, but WTF. (typo is top surgery)

View attachment 411094
Magic is insidious in that once it gets in your blood, it stays there like genital warts and occasionally resurfaces. Sometimes years later. As I've stated in this thread before, I haven't played magic, at all, since 2016, but the reintroduction of the Pro Tour got my attention because I only played Magic for the competitive aspect. I've literally never played a game that wasn't in a tournament or testing for one. The thought of playing a game of Commander makes me nauseas. I'm the definition of spike.

Fortunately, as I went looking for more information, I was reminded of exactly why I had previously left the game and also made aware of how much further the culture of Magic has fallen in just a few years. It's impossible to look for content from anyone associated with the game and not have a constant flow of mental-illness shoved down your throat.

Bringing the tour back (with a slightly upgraded system) was the one way I might have been coaxed back in to playing, but thankfully I resisted the siren song.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Yea no difference at all between old foils and whatever they are doing to cards in current year :rolleyes:

View attachment 411089
The issue is humidity. According to some dude from a random Gameshop. The offending foils are printed in a factory in Texas that doesn't have proper climate control. The humidity down there is regularly really fucking high.

As the card stock dries out it shrinks more than the foil ink causing the cupping to occur since the back side of the card is not given the foil treatment.

To fix the issue you can try re-humidifying to like 65% humidity, then pressing it under a large flat weight while it dries back out. This time it won't Pringle since it can't move.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
For the people wanting hetero stuff we used to have

7E3E3880-435C-4C12-AAFE-61297EE531BF.jpeg

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider

First two people I was talking to about this today were talking about Lilliana and whoever the hell that is in the second pic with Karn, and I'm like, "Yeah that's fucking Abaddon in the lower right who gives a shit about the other two?"

WAAAAAAGH!.png

Edit: Apparently announced last year but I decided recently I would do draft tournaments since time & money to build & paint 40k minis isn't really happening right now. Haven't played since Weatherlight so I'm still excited to see it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So we've got ultramarine art and abaddon art, that's two out of four decks down. Guess it comes down to whether they think they can make more money pandering to long-standing factions with the last two slots with something like Eldar/Orks, or piling on the current sisters/necrons marketing train. I'm guessing Sisters will probably make it, and an Eldar deck, that way they can go to their diversity managers and go "look, half the decks have laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadies"

• 1Like

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
My guess is space marines(white blue), chaos(black red), orks(red green), eldar(green blue). But who knows.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Magic is insidious in that once it gets in your blood, it stays there like genital warts and occasionally resurfaces. Sometimes years later. As I've stated in this thread before, I haven't played magic, at all, since 2016, but the reintroduction of the Pro Tour got my attention because I only played Magic for the competitive aspect. I've literally never played a game that wasn't in a tournament or testing for one. The thought of playing a game of Commander makes me nauseas. I'm the definition of spike.

Fortunately, as I went looking for more information, I was reminded of exactly why I had previously left the game and also made aware of how much further the culture of Magic has fallen in just a few years. It's impossible to look for content from anyone associated with the game and not have a constant flow of mental-illness shoved down your throat.

Bringing the tour back (with a slightly upgraded system) was the one way I might have been coaxed back in to playing, but thankfully I resisted the siren song.
But the best spike leads them all

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Seems my predication I had for the 40k set was almost spot on. I just thought orks would make it instead of the tyranids.

1652395066998.png
1652395073248.png
1652395077186.png
1652395081006.png

Last edited:

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Entire decks of foils? But... why?

"The collaboration will consist of four ready-to-play, preconstructed 100-card Commander decks and three Secret Lair drops. If you're new to Magic, Commander is an exciting, unique way to play Magic that is all about awesome legendary creatures, big plays, and battling your friends in epic multiplayer games! More information on the format can be found here.

Prefer playing a different format? Individual cards from the collaboration will be legal in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage.

Here's the more detailed breakdown of everything that's part of this collaboration:

• Four commander decks that also come in a Collector's Edition and a unique "Universes Beyond" frame.
    • Decks:
      • Tyranid Swarm (green-blue-red)
      • Forces of the Imperium (white-blue-black)
      • Necron Dynasties (mono-black)
      • The Ruinous Powers (blue-black-red)
    • The Collector's Edition comes fully foiled with the never-before-seen special surge foil and has the same card content.
  • Three Secret Lairdrops, which we're excited to share more info on later.
    • Secret Lair x Warhammer 40,000: Orks
    • Secret Lair x Warhammer Age of Sigmar
    • Secret Lair x Blood Bowl

Magic: The Gathering's Universes Beyond Warhammer 40,000 Collaboration Key Dates​

• Previews Begin: July 26
  • Secret Lair Drop: August 12–22
  • Worldwide Release: August 12
  • Launch Weekend Event: August 12–14"

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If the whole deck is foil it will all Pringle the same way and thus remain playable, pretty big brain

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Oh look, another product not for me. Just like the last one. And the special foil at 3% per pack cracks me the fuck up.

2xmasters.PNG

It feels like it wasn't all that long ago if you told me Hasbro was going to be selling 60 cards for $230, I'd tell you stay off the crack.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
This is what happens when two money-grubbing companies combine forces

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is what happens when two money-grubbing companies combine forces
Obviously the correct whale move is to have a blinged out 40k commander deck and then also make a full 40k army for that faction. You can even commission a fellow FoHer to paint it ;)

OneofOne

This wasn't expected. I may actually pick one up. I've had a lot of fun introducing my wife to MTG via Jumpstart. Would rather have another set of unique basic lands instead of pringles, though.

jumpstart.PNG

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Pioneer was/is always going to have that problem - it's a format of Current Year threats and power fantasy cards, and Current Year answers and disruption. Explorer is just magnifying that even more.

• 1Truth!