MTG thread

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Yeah those are lessons learned that I'm taking in when it comes to drafting. I didn't consider Make Disappear but in retrospect I can't believe I overlooked it. The second time I prioritized color unity to avoid any mana issues, and then fliers after that. It's hard to remember all the cards I passed over, but at the end I grabbed 2 more Halo Scarabs because I didn't get a lot of multicolor or fetch lands, 2 drops to get early pressure, and a way to get treasure tokens in case I needed a certain color if the lands weren't cooperating.

I'm a big fan of Slip out the Back. Cheap and easy to save a valuable creature, and used it a couple of times to phase out critical defenders and get lethal.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Your first deck is actually a really good deck, except for that fact that Rumor Gatherer and Fencer are cards you don't really want more than 1 of, despite the fact that you have two Exotic Pets. That first deck really needed a Rooftop Nuisance. Two Broker's Initiates is not generally good either, you generally want 1 or 0 depending on the deck.

You generally do not want more than 2 1-mana cards in a draft deck unless there's a very specific reason for them.

Mist draft deck reviews on YouTube.

You'll make millions Jerey, millions!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
She ticks two diversity boxes, Wizards of the Coast will hire her if she gets more than 1000 subs.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They already have a skinny rat-faced white girl from Rhode Island though lol.

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't generally recommend drafting Riveteers but loooool this deck was insane.

1653435740317.png

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Pioneer was/is always going to have that problem - it's a format of Current Year threats and power fantasy cards, and Current Year answers and disruption. Explorer is just magnifying that even more.
It's worse for it than Historic, tho. Which was surprising.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's worse for it than Historic, tho. Which was surprising.
I don't think this is really true.

Historic was pretty good pre-Alchemy but it's a fucking dumpster fire now. Alchemy cards are garbage, there's a reason you can't print them in paper.

Explorer is fine, it'll shake out. It's way better than having to deal with Historic Alchemy.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Opened the Ziatora in pack 3 and got passed the Fight Rigging right after it. Decided to play them lol. You should need a permit to draft this recklessly. Deck was fire but I should have played Disdainful Stroke over Make Disappear, opponents just kept playing around Make Disappear.

1653614424169.png

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Another 7-1, can't really make a more "by the book" Obscura draft deck. It's possible that Speakeasy Server would have been better than Girder Goons but it didn't matter either.

1653662306163.png

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I only went 5-3 with this deck but I really earned those 5 wins lol. One win per color!

1653848833030.png

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Jaxis + Corpse Appraiser is one of the more insane combos you can assemble in this set.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
7-2, had to put in 2 extra cards, and remove Dig Up the Body to give myself an extra turn to win once Wiretapping hits the table. :)

1653862991392.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If anyone is still drafting this format, avoid White unless your signals are really strong coming from your right in pack 1. White is extremely overdrafted. Like if you see a P1P4 pick Inspiring Overseer or P1P5+ pick Raffine's Informant, it's probably safe to move into White. But you probably don't want to commit to White before pick 4 unless you open an insane white rare like Rabble Rousing or Sanctuary Warden, because it's very possible to be seated next to 2-3 white drafters feeding you and end up totally cut off.

Maestros is the second best shard and avoids White entirely. Win-rates for purely 3-color shard (no splash) decks, which make up the bulk of drafted decks:

1653863583339.png

• 2Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still trending negative about how I feel about the Battle for Baldur's Gate set, but I'll admit certain illustrations are pure win.

1654046141033.png
and
1654046179095.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My son started collecting Pokemon because the kids at school did. So I was like, well fuck if I'm paying all this money, we're going to learn to play, so we did. The end goal being MTG, which I've only recently gotten him into playing.

Depends how old your son is (we started Pokemon at 6, MTG at 9), but Pokemon is probably a better starter game both because every pack has a foil card (ohhh shinies) and the game is significantly easier to play. I made some MTG decks for us to play out of my boxes of common cards, picking out pretty basic creatures and spells, just because the game can be stupidly overly complicated these days if you're just starting out AND young.

Bonus - Pokemon packs/boxes are typically a little cheaper, but you get chances at pulling cards quite literally worth hundreds of dollars even from new sets. My son is quite happy knowing (and I'm sure bragging to his friends) that he has 2 cards each worth several hundred dollars. Cards dad keeps in a special tin for him so they stay in good condition.
Been a while, since this response. I appreciate it. Can you recommend what cards for Pokemon I should be looking out for if I wanted to get some? Just whatever is the latest set?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, you can actually draft the alchemy cards this time around. Not sure that's good because all it does is add a bunch of broken cards into the format, but it's kinda fun.