MTG thread

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah it definitely seems that minotaur tribal will have some legs in standard come Born of the Gods.

Xalara

Golden Squire
So I was curious and decided to make my own minotaur list since the Minotaur tribe seems to be pretty much spoiled at this point. This is what I came up with:

Creatures (24):
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Felhide Spiritbinder
4 Kragma Warcaller
2 Mogis, God of Slaughter
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Rageblood Shaman
4 Ragemonger

Instant (8):
4 Bile Blight
4 Lightning Strike

Sorcery (4):
4 Thoughtseize

Land (24):
4 Blood Crypt
6 Mountain
4 Mutavault
6 Swamp
4 Temple of Malice

Sideboard:
3 Duress
4 Doom Blade
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Hammer of Purphoros

Thoughts on the deck:
- I main decked a bunch of removal since it's really important in a majority of match ups. Plus Thoughtseize is just bonkers.
- The deck does seem a tad slow.
- Bile Blight might be a bit greedy.

Thoughts on the side board assuming meta doesn't change much:
- Duress is absolutely needed for the control matchups.
- Doom Blade is interchangeable with Devour Flesh and Ultimate Price depending on the meta.
- Erebos is very useful in the control matchups.
- Mizzium Mortar's hits Blood Baron which is important. That said, if you don't have many decks running Blood Baron in your meta then Dark Betrayal is probably better since it hits Obzedat and Desecration Demon
- Hammer of Purphoros is great for the control match ups where games tend to go long.
- Finally, if your meta has a lot of UW control and blue devotion, Rakdos Charm is really good. I'm just not sure what it would replace in the side board.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So I was curious and decided to make my own minotaur list since the Minotaur tribe seems to be pretty much spoiled at this point. This is what I came up with:

Creatures (24):
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Felhide Spiritbinder
4 Kragma Warcaller
2 Mogis, God of Slaughter
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Rageblood Shaman
4 Ragemonger

Instant (8):
4 Bile Blight
4 Lightning Strike

Sorcery (4):
4 Thoughtseize

Land (24):
4 Blood Crypt
6 Mountain
4 Mutavault
6 Swamp
4 Temple of Malice

Sideboard:
3 Duress
4 Doom Blade
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Hammer of Purphoros

Thoughts on the deck:
- I main decked a bunch of removal since it's really important in a majority of match ups. Plus Thoughtseize is just bonkers.
- The deck does seem a tad slow.
- Bile Blight might be a bit greedy.

Thoughts on the side board assuming meta doesn't change much:
- Duress is absolutely needed for the control matchups.
- Doom Blade is interchangeable with Devour Flesh and Ultimate Price depending on the meta.
- Erebos is very useful in the control matchups.
- Mizzium Mortar's hits Blood Baron which is important. That said, if you don't have many decks running Blood Baron in your meta then Dark Betrayal is probably better since it hits Obzedat and Desecration Demon
- Hammer of Purphoros is great for the control match ups where games tend to go long.
- Finally, if your meta has a lot of UW control and blue devotion, Rakdos Charm is really good. I'm just not sure what it would replace in the side board.
After play testing my mino's about a dozen time's I think Felhide Spiritbinder is waaay to slow. It seems like there is always a better spell to cast.

What Mino's really need is a 1 drop. Something with a downside like Firedrinker Satyr.

This is my new build.

Mino test ( MTG Deck)

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The rest of BNG!

Born of the Gods Release Notes : Daily MTG : Magic: The Gathering

2 Drop mino in there! Whoop whoop

Ragemonger
1 ManaBlack ManaRed Mana
Creature - Minotaur Shaman
2/3
Minotaur spells you cast cost Black ManaRed Mana less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. (For example, if you cast a Minotaur spell with mana cost 2 ManaRed Mana, it costs 2 Mana to cast.)

If you control more than one Ragemonger, the cost reduction is cumulative.
You apply cost reduction effects after other cost modifiers, so Ragemonger can reduce additional costs or alternative costs of Minotaur spells if they include Black Mana and/or Red Mana.

If a spell has hybrid mana symbols in its mana cost, you choose which half you will be paying before determining the total cost. If you choose to pay such a cost with Black Mana or Red Mana, Ragemonger can reduce that part of the cost.

Does the bolded text mean that counts towards the colorless cost as well?...

Chris

Potato del Grande
How did they manage to publish an article dated for 27th January? xD

Only has another 1/3 of the set unfortunatly.

The rest of BNG!

Born of the Gods Release Notes : Daily MTG : Magic: The Gathering

2 Drop mino in there! Whoop whoop

Ragemonger
1 ManaBlack ManaRed Mana
Creature - Minotaur Shaman
2/3
Minotaur spells you cast cost Black ManaRed Mana less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. (For example, if you cast a Minotaur spell with mana cost 2 ManaRed Mana, it costs 2 Mana to cast.)

If you control more than one Ragemonger, the cost reduction is cumulative.
You apply cost reduction effects after other cost modifiers, so Ragemonger can reduce additional costs or alternative costs of Minotaur spells if they include Black Mana and/or Red Mana.

If a spell has hybrid mana symbols in its mana cost, you choose which half you will be paying before determining the total cost. If you choose to pay such a cost with Black Mana or Red Mana, Ragemonger can reduce that part of the cost.

Does the bolded text mean that counts towards the colorless cost as well?...
The bolded text does not refer to colorless mana, but rather if you have another effect that would increase the could by a colored mana. For example if you have Derelor or Andradite Leech in play, your black spells would cost B extra to play. A Kragma Warcaller would cost BBR3 in this case. With 1 Ragemonger in play he would cost B3, but with 2 Ragemongers he would cost 3.

Xalara

Golden Squire
After play testing my mino's about a dozen time's I think Felhide Spiritbinder is waaay to slow. It seems like there is always a better spell to cast.

What Mino's really need is a 1 drop. Something with a downside like Firedrinker Satyr.

This is my new build.

Mino test ( MTG Deck)
Wow I can't believe I forgot about Boros Reckoner, derp.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Satyr Firedancer | Born of the Gods Spoiler

+

Searing Blood | Born of the Gods

South-Park-Comcast-Character-Nipple-Rub.gif

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Modern GPT this weekend. I'm still deciding between Scapeshift and Junk, but I'm leaning towards the combo deck at the moment. Junk feels strong, but it doesn't have any really great matchups or any weak ones. With decks like that, experience is key and I don't feel like I've had enough time to really play the deck.

Scapeshift is very well positioned right now. We can win a counter war with Twin, and outrace Tron. We also have excellent sideboard options vs Tron, Jund and Affinity. Infinite life combos suck, but Pod can be stopped cold with a Pyroclasm or any number of multi-use sideboard tools like Relic or even Grafdigger's Cage. I'm liking it more and more.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I was out of town for a job interview yesterday and I was a little bit early so I walked into the Walmart that was next door. Found 2 commander decks for MSRP. Eternal Bargain and Evasive Maneuvers. No Mindseize unfortunately, I asked the sales lady if they had anymore. She looked it up on her computer, she said they were the last two on all of Vancouver Island's Walmart's.

Pretty excited, played Commander for the first time last weekend. So much fun.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Those are restocked by outside vendors usually. It won't show up in WalMart's computer. The clerk likely didn't realize that.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Still $35 to start my EDH deck is pretty sweet. You get lots of nice pieces that are needed like a Sol ring and Swiftfoot boots. We didn't have any in my town, I looked around at all the regular places. I'm pretty stoked.

I will keep checking for Mindseize though.

Since the deck I had the most success with this season is going to be ass-fucked next set (Orzhov Humans reeeeeep), I am deciding between some sort of Boros Midrange build vs Boros Burn.

I really like the new kitty, and I think it's going to have some synergy with Assemble the Legion and Purphorous.

Like Young Pyromancer, Satyr Firedancer I'm sort of skeptical on. It definitely will have more play in Modern/Legacy then in Standard. In the end it's a fucking 1/1 for 2. Searing Blood and Conflagaration are going to be killers though.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Not planning to buy any sealed BOTG product unless I go to a prerelease. I know this gets said every time, but I'm very underwhelmed. I'll just buy a common/uncommon playset and then cherry pick rares.