MTG thread

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Silmulgars scorn and dragonlord dromoka making you unable to cast on opponents turn.

Dont want your last couple points of damage countered and dromoka makes the sorcery speed not a concern. But I guess in that match up if they have that much mana your probably dead anyways...

Sideboard card at least no?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That is not a sideboard card. Pretend the spell mastery doesn't exist. Either you want a 3 mana almost-lava axe-that-sometimes-hits-a-creature or you don't.

Card almost seems best in some kind of midrange deck. Maybe a GR or Temur deck that's also using Crater's Claws. That's gives you some reach on the cheap.

Still just seems bad in SiegeRhino.format.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They printed an enchantment version of Cranial Plating...
Which is a lot more fair since there are dramatically fewer low cost enchantments, and no 0 cost ones other than leylines.

I mean, I guess someone could try to build a modern leylines.dec with Starfield of Nyx, but why?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Obviously we're supposed to combo it with Enchanted Evening, drop a Primeval Light to clear away the blockers and swing for eleventy.

Perfect tech for Grand Prix Narnia.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
New hatebear spoiled:

Vryn Wingmare 2W
Creature - Pegasus
Flying, Noncreature spells cost 1 more to cast
2/1

Sterling

El Presidente
New hatebear spoiled:

Vryn Wingmare 2W
Creature - Pegasus
Flying, Noncreature spells cost 1 more to cast
2/1
This card is gross. Also it's not Legendary like Thalia. Also in Modern you can curve Thalia into this into like Lodestone and have a truly enjoyable magic experience!

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Source:Changes Starting with Pro Tour Magic Origins | MAGIC: THE GATHERING
New mulligan rules:
103.4. Each player draws a number of cards equal to his or her starting hand size, which is normally seven. (Some effects can modify a player's starting hand size.) A player who is dissatisfied with his or her initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether or not he or she will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles his or her hand back into his or her library, then draws a new hand of one fewer cards than he or she had before. If a player kept his or her hand of cards, those cards become the player's opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan. (Note that if a player's hand size reaches zero cards, that player must keep that hand.) Then, beginning with the starting player and proceeding in turn order, any player whose opening hand has fewer cards than his or her starting hand size may scry 1.

The key change is that last sentence.
Then, beginning with the starting player and proceeding in turn order, any player whose opening hand has fewer cards than his or her starting hand size may scry 1.
EDIT: Timing on Implementation of the Scry Mulligan Rule

"This rule will make its debut at Pro Tour Magic Origins, which takes place July 31-August 2. This is the only tournament during which this rule will be in effect for now. After the Pro Tour, we will have more information regarding when this rule will be implemented everywhere else." - So don't go doing this just yet. The PT is a test run.
Thanks u/Wooberg for pointing this out!

Matches on Camera

The Head Judge can now review video of matches to aid in an investigation of any rules violations that may have occurred during the video coverage for Pro Tours, the World Championship, and the World Magic Cup. The decision whether to use video as part of an investigation rests solely with the head judge.
Additionally, dedicated members of the judge staff will be stationed to watch matches that are broadcast live as part of the video coverage for Pro Tours, the World Championship, and the World Magic Cup. In the event a plays happens which is a rules violation, the judge stationed to watch the broadcast will have the ability to stop play and inform the head judge. The head judge can then use any video evidence to conduct his investigations.

Layout Changes

Creatures must be in front of lands, and nothing can be behind lands.
The library can be on either side of the play area (left or right).
The graveyard must be adjacent to the library (player can choose which side of play area both are on).
The exile zone must be near the library/graveyard and must be distinct from the graveyard.
If a card is exiled by a permanent in play, the exiled card must be placed in proximity to the exiling permanent such that it is obvious that the two are associated.
All untapped cards in play must face the controller of that card.

Love the layout changes. Suck it lands in front faggots. It's way past time to make those kinds of thing standardized in the rules. Everyone knows "that guy" who tries to meta-game shit by making their layout pants on head retarded.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The mulligan system is one of Magic's most antiquated rules and if they are looking at making even a change as small as this to it I am 100% in favor.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
The layout changes are only enforced for video feature matches. Continue to tilt your opponents at your local by throwing your cards all over the place. It works on me for sure. For some reason if my opponent's cards end up touching my playmat I get real salty about it.

New mulligan looks cool. Is the change to simultaneous decision being made to speed up play?

The layout changes are only enforced for video feature matches. Continue to tilt your opponents at your local by throwing your cards all over the place. It works on me for sure. For some reason if my opponent's cards end up touching my playmat I get real salty about it.

New mulligan looks cool. Is the change to simultaneous decision being made to speed up play?
Simultaneous decision has been around for awhile, but it was implemented to speed up play. There was a time where the player on the play would choose to mulligan, shuffle up and draw his hand, then decide whether to mulligan or not and repeat this until he had an adequate hand before the player on the draw would even decide his first mulligan. The way it is now allows both players to be shuffling up at the same time if they both want to mulligan.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amusingly, the current form of the Mulligan is a long-standing tournament rule, but not a particularly old core-magic rule. Took em a while to decide to put it in the game rules instead of just the tournament procedures document
smile.png
Of course, most people played by the tournament rules in casual play anyhow, so not much difference, but had more than a few new players get confused over the years when their opponent mulled.

A lot of people freaking out over the new Mulligan's interaction with "Mulliganing to 6, on the play, with an opening hand containing Delver and a non-fetch land, that is a viable hand." 'Tis amusing to watch. Rule's going to be way more impactful on the draw than on the play in formats rife with fetchies, which is good.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
The new mulligan rule needs some serious testing, because it could cause some waves in older formats.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's a huge boost to combo and a smaller boost to hyper aggressive decks like burn or affinity. And it's therefore pretty much a nerf to control decks.

The real bad part of the new mulligan rule is that they will be testing it at Pro Tour Origins, which I believe is a standard Pro Tour. The new rule is not as impactful to fair consistent decks, which is what most of the standard format consists of. Adding a scry 1 at the beginning of probably 75%+ games of combo decks increases their chance of winning more significantly. That's kind of what balances a combo deck, is that there will be games where you just don't get what you need. Unsurprisingly combo makes up a more significant portion of eternal formats. WotC may determine at this Pro Tour that the new mulligan rule works out great and implements it only to find out at the next significant eternal event that it is completely busted and scrap the whole thing immediately after. Maybe not, only time will really tell.

I'm also really interested in the new camera match board layout (or the FUCK YOU ADRIAN SULLIVAN rule). I'll be interested to see if Starcity implements this for their camera matches since the rule only specifically lays out the guidelines for specific WotC events. I appreciate it for what it is as it really does make combat easier to understand. Push these guys forward to attack. Put these guys in front of them to block. It's less clear how blockers are assigned when you have to reach halfway across your opponent's board to point out who's doing what. This is especially true in more complex combat situations.