MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MTGOtraders will buy tix all the time for 95 cents. Goatbots will do it without the paypal fees if you can accept an international bank transfer, but they only do it in blocks of 1000 or more at a time. Smaller operations that do a lot of card redemptions will buy for .96 cents via paypal gift, so without fees, but you can't accept too many of those from too many people.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Right but aren't the new playpoints non-transferrable? I know very little about the MTGO market, so I'm not sure how this new system compares.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Right but aren't the new playpoints non-transferrable? I know very little about the MTGO market, so I'm not sure how this new system compares.
Event Tickets aren't going away. Play Points are an alternate entry fee. Going forward, constructed events will always give out some Play Points to cover the cost of joining a new events. Previously they gave out packs as prizes, and the packs were frequently not worth enough tickets to enter the event.

The new system is actually almost all upside, because even the grinders will make more money because they will get to join events for free rather than cashing out packs that constantly decrease in value. Once people realize that the changes are all upside, the market will bounce back to where it was before.

See this reddit post examining the EV of the changes:

The definitive analysis of the new MTGO payouts (it's not as bad as you think) : magicTCG

Sterling

El Presidente
It'll still get to the point where some people will just have a massive surplus of nontransferable points.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It'll still get to the point where some people will just have a massive surplus of nontransferable points.
Uh, you'd need to be 4-0ing daily events more than half the time to do that, and if that's the case, you've made more profit than previously, because with less packs given out, the pack part of your prizes is worth more.

And you can always draft or cube or sealed or play PTQs with excess points. Sealed is actuallyGREATEV on MTGO if you're any good at sealed.

Basically, if you're to the point where you have tons of excess Play Points from winning Constructed events, you're still making more money than you were before (because your entry fees are always covered) AND you have these tickets you can use to enter more other events for free.

Sterling

El Presidente
Uh, you'd need to be 4-0ing daily events more than half the time to do that, and if that's the case, you've made more profit than previously, because with less packs given out, the pack part of your prizes is worth more.

And you can always draft or cube or sealed or play PTQs with excess points. Sealed is actuallyGREATEV on MTGO if you're any good at sealed.

Basically, if you're to the point where you have tons of excess Play Points from winning Constructed events, you're still making more money than you were before (because your entry fees are always covered) AND you have these tickets you can use to enter more other events for free.
Yeah I've done no real math on it or anything. As for sealed that's the vast majority of what I did when I was active on MTGO. Used to grind sealed dailies and PEs for QPs for MOCS. In fact that was the last time I cashed out tix for cash. I was sitting on a pile of Mirrodin Besieged packs waiting for New Phyrexia to come out for the small boost in tix price of the packs. Couple hundred dollars difference when talking like 600 packs or whatever. Pretty sure I have like 1100 Alpha Tyrannax on my account. Good times.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Prices on these modern staples are not going to stay low for long, the sooner I get tix the more money we can make.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Last call for anyone that wants to help me make a lot of money on Modern staples. Can promise at least a 40% return.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MTGO related. Modern stuff triple crashed due to 1) the end of modern GP season, 2) the panic about the Play Points change, and 3) the release of a new Standard set. I'm doing a big buyout of some target cards I've been tracking for a long time. I need investors with tickets. You'll get at least a 40% return on whatever money you put into the tickets by the time you cash them back out via paypal, higher return margins if you just want to turn tix into more tix.

Period is 6-8 months, depending exactly when Modern heats up on MTGO which depends exactly when GPs and other big events are scheduled.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Actually, there's 2 North American Modern GPs between Sept and November, and one in Brazil as well, so the timeframe to actually realize a big profit might actually be a lot shorter.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This PT has been about 1000x more interesting than I expected. That's not even an exaggeration because I expected it to be infinitely boring.

Radikus

Trakanon Raider
Lots of interesting decks. New core set changed stuff more than I thought. The UR Artifacts, g/b pact, rally from last few weeks. So there are some fun decks to see, I think that's what has made it interesting. Even watching mono red stomp on people is fun.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Origins as a draft format had enough build arounds that even that was interesting. Stark went all in monoU mill with 2x Dreadwater, 2x Talent of the Telepath but lost in the streamed match we saw.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Someone else go buy out all the Abbot or Keral Keep on MTGO for me, I ran out of tix.

Radikus

Trakanon Raider
I bought 4 of them on pre order when the set came out and they messed my order up so sent me 4 promos as compensation. Hells yea. I am actually kind of bummed red is doing so well. I just got back into standard and am heading to GP San Diego next weekend and red is what I am running. Hopefully it doesn't win so people won't hate on it so hard. Usually, people always think red decks won't come out in force, so I am banking on that for the GP.