MTG thread

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When I learned that power was selling for hundreds of dollars a card I remembered how, just 2 years prior, I sold 20-30 pieces for about a C note to smoke up and never see again. That leaves scars man. Like the kid who put his rookie Micky Mantel card into his bike's spokes, you think back and say 'I had one of those once, I wish i still did...'

But the new one would be learning that a Beta Lotus hit, what 100k? and I sold it for 8k way back in 2016 to pay off the house. That is a lot more palatable.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
A beta Lotus did not actually sell for 100k. I think the most that has actually changed hands was in the 30s somewhere.

A realistic sell price for an ungraded, beta Lotus in LP condition is anywhere from 8-12k, depending very heavily on where and how it grades. I also would basically never consider buying one from a private seller without having it verified first.

Ratina

that was future me seeing the 100k price tag, like what would it take for me to think back and kick myself?

Ratina

Actually selling them with the intention to get more then buy list... I would't even know where to start.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
There are a few specialty vendors that would work. Vintage Magic, Graded Power, etc. The whole buy at 55% thing breaks down when you're talking about cards worth that much.

SCG offered the same value for my unlimited Lotus that I "spent" to buy it a year ago. Credit was about 800 more. It's gone up pretty dramatically.

Chubzy Wombat

Silver Knight of the Realm
Nesticoformats.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ratina

It won't get snuffed out. It's just becoming more community driven, and TOs are already moving in to fill the vacuum. Tales of Adventure just announced a nationwide invitational series for Eternal Extravaganza. At least two shops local to me are already signing up for our weekly events to award points for byes etc.

We had EE qualifiers at local shops, but they were NY Old School rules (can play 4 Stripmines!). I ran this nostalgia wagon to an 0-3 drop event.

OldSkolGrix.png

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Eternal Weekend old school had 4 Strip Mine, 4 Shops legal. I ended up running mono-blue power artifact.

Why the fuck won't my imgur link work.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you're playing an old school format you should have to use old school rules! Untapping a Basalt Monolith with Basalt Monolith mana is FORBIDDEN.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
If you're playing an old school format you should have to use old school rules! Untapping a Basalt Monolith with Basalt Monolith mana is FORBIDDEN.

It uses more or less modern rules, except mana burn still exists. Chaos Orb also gets some errata so it functions.

That Basalt Monolith thing must be a house rule. I've never heard of it.

Ratina

The Relic Bind errata did it better, yeah its not on the card but it keeps Monoliths intuitive

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It was a real rule back in 1996, I kid you not.

City in a Bottle? That's why you play cards from Chronicles and not Arabian Nights!

Ratina

Monolith rule was put in place because relic bind + monolith was insta win. there was also a rule for a bit where you could not untap Time Vault any other way but via skipping a turn.

Edit heres a nice list of em

Power-Level-Errata-B-Gone

Last edited:

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, Eternal Weekend old school had 4 Strip Mine, 4 Shops legal. I ended up running mono-blue power artifact.

Why the fuck won't my imgur link work.

Is it weird how I can look at your pic and spot Tawnos' Coffin even though I havent thought of that card in like 20 years?

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good taste maybe, but god we were all so bad. I remember being in love with Ashnod's Transmogrant. Literally no idea why.