MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I don't think that's true at all. Sure, there's some bombs you can open, but if your deck is 2 bombs and a bunch of crap cards, you won't win all that much. Gotta have a solid deck, so you have to read signals to figure out what colors are more open to get rewarded later in the packs.

Dominaria was/is a slower format, though, so whoever has the last, best card tends to win. Maneuvering the game so your bomb lives, or you still have removal for your opponent's, is often what determines the game. I beat bad players with good decks all the time. They have a ton of removal, so they just start wasting it on every creature I play, but then they finally run out when my last creature hits the board and it's better than all their stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Should I cash out of MTG?

Got a full Modern Affinity Deck, have little interest in playing and I'm expecting the game to die due to SJWs and the price to crash. What do you guys think about the future of the game?

• 2Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If its not reserved list its going to slowly decline and a small portion of it will crash. For every current exception to that rule, there are 10.000 cards that follow it.

This is not advice on what you should do, but when it comes to future value of your cards, that is the rule to follow.

Reserved list prices have good potential still, at least the playable/iconic cards do. The market is still growing in asia, and one whale starting the game makes up for a lot of casuals selling out.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Should I cash out of MTG?

Got a full Modern Affinity Deck, have little interest in playing and I'm expecting the game to die due to SJWs and the price to crash. What do you guys think about the future of the game?

People are loathe to take losses on cards. Even if the wheels were really coming off the cart you would still have time to get out. If you spent top dollar on some modern cards or any cards that aren't on the reserve list than at some point you're going to see those cards reprinted and the prices of those cards will decline at least on the short term. If that's something that you know is really going to eat at you than maybe bail? If you don't give a shit than whatever. Throw the deck on a shelf.

The only indicator that would really get me running for the fire exits would be if Hasbro sold Magic the Gathering off.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The only indicator that would really get me running for the fire exits would be if Hasbro sold Magic the Gathering off.

If they retire the reserved list to boost their sales figures you know they will sell it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The reddit threads where E-Lawyers argue about the reserved list are the best. WOTC/Hasbro's lawyers have been teabagging this entire genre for decades; if they think it's not worth breaking reserved list, and pushed for more guideline clarity last time it was updated, I'm inclined to believe they probably have reasons.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The massive print run of Chronicles and it's complete disregard of the secondary market was a mistake. Following that by creating the Reserved List which was also a mistake. Adding more cards from later sets to that list was yet another mistake.

But it is twenty-years later there is just nothing to be done about any of it. I think the direction WotC has chosen to go makes the most sense. No cards from Mercadian Masques forward will be added to the list. They have an eternal format (Modern) that is very popular and every card in that format can be reprinted. If people still want to play Vintage or Legacy they can but those formats are not supported outside of maintaining an official banned/restricted list. At some point in the next few years they will introduce a new eternal constructed format that uses cards from Magic Origins onward. Magic Origins is the first set to use the little holofoil anti-counterfeiting stickers and it would also be an eternal format without fetch lands. ronne ronne and I have been talking about this for a few years now and Magic Arena actually has that exact format. According to data mining it is called Arena Modern.

Modern will be like Legacy was forever ago except WotC can support it properly and the newer, less expensive eternal format (without fetches slowing games down) will take the position that Modern used to have. The big time collector types can do their thing, newer players will have somewhere to play as their stuff rotates out of Standard that isn't anywhere near as expensive as Modern, you can push team events of Arena Modern / Modern / Standard, the devs can finally have their eternal format without fetches. Everyone wins at least a little.

The big X factors are a massive change in leadership at Hasbro or them selling the license.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Or Transformers CCG killing magic off yo!

22 days till its August release date and we've seen hide nor hair of that product since its announcement last winter. Methinks they brought it to playtest and realized they fucked something up hard.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, Wizards has a new branch of devs working on making new CCGs again (some folks reshuffled, others new hires), now that Hasbro's apparently unlocked their IP vault for WotC to fiddle with.

Might have contributed to the decision to fuck over netrunner.

And weeaboo-fighting-CCGs are still made every year, mostly because waifu-fags need to buy a dozen booster boxes to find their Ghost Rare Signed-By-The-Voice-Actor Waifu cards to masturbate to.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, Wizards has a new branch of devs working on making new CCGs again (some folks reshuffled, others new hires), now that Hasbro's apparently unlocked their IP vault for WotC to fiddle with.

Might have contributed to the decision to fuck over netrunner.

And weeaboo-fighting-CCGs are still made every year, mostly because waifu-fags need to buy a dozen booster boxes to find their Ghost Rare Signed-By-The-Voice-Actor Waifu cards to masturbate to.

Transformers CCG? Quietly reskin their old Battletech CCG and you're good to go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Bearer of the Mackenzy Hammer is the original RNGesus Take The Wheel card.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Finally got actual release news for the WotC Transformers CCG, release pushed to late September, or early release at SDCC/GenCon. Apparently someone at Hasbro has a big hard-on for functional promos, as this game's getting them too, like Magic's new Buy-a-Box Promos, despite the shit being cancer. Except instead of being locked behind limited quantitites at your local game store, these ones are locked behind limited quantities at Conventions that cost $1000 to attend.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Commander 2018 Deck themes/colors announced on Twitch Stream:

Blue-Red Artifacts Matter
Blue-Green-White Enchantments Matter
Black-Red-Green Lands Matter
Black-Blue-White MIracles/"Top of Deck Matters"

Can we get Angus Mackenzie to $500? YES WE CAN

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Interesting. Really only want to know about the new cards since the precons will be useless anyway, but the themes are kinda cool.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They did increase the price of precons by ~$5, which translates to +$10-15 to the total price of the reprints they slot in there. So there's an outside chance of a middling-costly card that really works for the deck theme sneaking in there, like Scroll Rack for the BUW deck.

But yeah, my primary interest isn't the Face cards, since the Face commanders on these products tend to be boring sledgehammers that ruin their archetypes anyway (as I am a horrible hipster), so it's mostly the secondary legends and the funky new build-arounds I'm looking at with interest.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
last 2 commanders i've made were high cost mimeplasm- every time i manage to cast a spell it seems to change the game
and sort of a token/pump haezon tamar deck. either i win with a huge board swing of mid size 1/1's or i die ealry becasue people remmebr the deck

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Only decks I build anymore is commander really, even though thinking of building a modern and pauper deck. Ive had vintage built forever and legacy (but now have to change it cause of recent bans)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hazezon's super fun Strossus. It's the "Come at me, bro" of Commanders. You pretty much have to set up, and then tell the table "You've got one turn" by casting Hazezon and creating his delayed trigger. Creates some fun tense games. Definitely hurts his win rate tho :D It's also fun to have a commander where you're just like "well, you could read him, but you're going to need to read his gatherer text anyway"