MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I think that link has been dead for a while, since they moved to the new CMS for their website.

When did that happen? it was up last month.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
When did that happen? it was up last month.

0F513017-11DE-4DF6-9FCC-3F9986F12275.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Apparently his bad was he was charging somehow - a subscription or some such. That's a no-no, regardless of what I think of Hasbro and their cash cow right now.

OneofOne

Unlike these two shit "JumpStart" products for Dominaria United and Brothers' War, they seem to be producing a real JS set again, with a bunch of new cards and decent reprints. Seem to be going all in on tribal, and as someone who likes making jank tribal decks, that's cool. The anime alt arts aren't all bad, so that's something I guess. Just tired of 40 variations of every card.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

Unlike these two shit "JumpStart" products for Dominaria United and Brothers' War, they seem to be producing a real JS set again, with a bunch of new cards and decent reprints. Seem to be going all in on tribal, and as someone who likes making jank tribal decks, that's cool. The anime alt arts aren't all bad, so that's something I guess. Just tired of 40 variations of every card.

I wonder how this is going to do in the face of both product fatigue and name-dilution. I dont follow magic 100% closely any more since I mostly play FAB now, but I thought this product was dead in favor of doing the super super super shitty ones with every set release.

OG Jumpstart was a great product and they had killed the name with the Dom and Bro ones, so its good to see that they are doing another what looks to be awesome Jumpstart, but I wonder if people will stay away thinking its gonna be another shitter like the set related ones.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Their branding is all over the place. I feel like they have some lesbian latinx they/them making decisions. How is Jumpstart different to a core set?

OneofOne

I wonder how this is going to do in the face of both product fatigue and name-dilution. I dont follow magic 100% closely any more since I mostly play FAB now, but I thought this product was dead in favor of doing the super super super shitty ones with every set release.

OG Jumpstart was a great product and they had killed the name with the Dom and Bro ones, so its good to see that they are doing another what looks to be awesome Jumpstart, but I wonder if people will stay away thinking its gonna be another shitter like the set related ones.
It sounds like all MTG products are seeing a decline in ordering by stores. Toss in that once they had the chance, WOTC printed a whole lot more original JS pushing it back down to $75 or so, and I think you'll see a lot of people step back and wait for sales. And WOTC did this to themselves. Hopefully makes for some cheap product. I had fun playing with my wife and son with JS, so I'm likely to get some of this as well if the price is right.

Their branding is all over the place. I feel like they have some lesbian latinx they/them making decisions. How is Jumpstart different to a core set?
"To play a game of Jumpstart, players simply open two boosters and shuffle them together to form a ready-to-play 40-card deck."

"Jumpstart was primarily sold in 20-card boosters, with 24 boosters per booster box.[10] The contents of each pack fit one of 46 randomly-chosen themes, with each theme having a "rarity" of common, rare or mythic rare. Common and rare themes have multiple variations of their pack contents; in total, there are 121 possible pack contents. All boosters contain at least one rare, and one in three boosters includes an extra rare. Within each pack, seven or eight of the 20 cards are lands and the rest are spells; one basic land in each pack (or in the case of the Rainbow theme, Terramorphic Expanse) features art that matches the pack's theme."

"The set contained 37 new cards, featuring the Jumpstart expansion symbol, and almost 600 reprints."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's a limited format where you just mash 2 themed packs together and play.

This is like the third Jumpstart set I think.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It sounds like all MTG products are seeing a decline in ordering by stores. Toss in that once they had the chance, WOTC printed a whole lot more original JS pushing it back down to $75 or so, and I think you'll see a lot of people step back and wait for sales. And WOTC did this to themselves. Hopefully makes for some cheap product. I had fun playing with my wife and son with JS, so I'm likely to get some of this as well if the price is right.

"To play a game of Jumpstart, players simply open two boosters and shuffle them together to form a ready-to-play 40-card deck."

"Jumpstart was primarily sold in 20-card boosters, with 24 boosters per booster box.[10] The contents of each pack fit one of 46 randomly-chosen themes, with each theme having a "rarity" of common, rare or mythic rare. Common and rare themes have multiple variations of their pack contents; in total, there are 121 possible pack contents. All boosters contain at least one rare, and one in three boosters includes an extra rare. Within each pack, seven or eight of the 20 cards are lands and the rest are spells; one basic land in each pack (or in the case of the Rainbow theme, Terramorphic Expanse) features art that matches the pack's theme."

"The set contained 37 new cards, featuring the Jumpstart expansion symbol, and almost 600 reprints."
Thanks, I played that on MTG Arena during New Capenna, it was a bit janky.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

It's a limited format where you just mash 2 themed packs together and play.

This is like the third Jumpstart set I think.

Technically it's the 4th set, but not really. The first set was as stated to Chris, but the following 2 sets had a grand total of 5 new cards each, and only 5 different themes with 2 variations each. So they were literally repacking Theme packs in JumpStart as a bait and switch. And it pissed a lot of people off. Last I looked boxes were going for as little as $45.

This set coming out next month will be like the first set - a bunch of new cards and lots of different themes/variations.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Technically it's the 4th set, but not really. The first set was as stated to Chris, but the following 2 sets had a grand total of 5 new cards each, and only 5 different themes with 2 variations each. So they were literally repacking Theme packs in JumpStart as a bait and switch. And it pissed a lot of people off. Last I looked boxes were going for as little as $45.

This set coming out next month will be like the first set - a bunch of new cards and lots of different themes/variations.

Yeah, OG Jumpstart was a fun little thing.

Set Jumpstart is poop.

This is a follow up to OG Jumpstart, but is "compatible" with any of them, I believe.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You guys are overthinking this way too hard.

The economy is in the shitter, food costs are skyrocketing, energy, etc.

People are cutting discretionary and entertainment spending, and MTG is probably the dictionary definition of those things.

Magic ate shit in 08-09 as well, and it's gonna eat shit for the next few years now as well.
How many people here have ever decided "the economy is doing poorly, I guess I won't buy those booster packs"? Show of hands.

That kind of discretionary spending decrease applies to cars and electronics and houses and etc, big ticket items, not really so much to impulse / relative-inexpensive-hobby purchases.

(Relatively inexpensive compared to, say, music gear or jet skis or etc)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've budgeted everything since my first job when I was a kid, and schools shutting down during the pandemic was the only time I've been unemployed for more than a week, so I've never really had to reduce my Entertainment budget. It doesn't particularly grow either. Increases in cost of living mostly cut into my non-retirement/debt-pay-down (when I had student loans) savings.

Of course, for a good chunk of that before the Pandemic magic was heavily subsidized by tournament prizes, my collection has grown a lot thinner in the "casual edh fuck around" years sets.

I budget about a much for entertainment each year as my older brother does for hunting/shooting range and my little brother does for mountain biking.

I will say a lot of magic players are underemployed communists, so it would seem reasonable for a recession to smack those guys around. But those guys also have poor impulse control and are slaves to entertainment products, so probably a wash. A lot of complaining about rent but also buying masters set boxes going on in that section.

Last edited:

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
How many people here have ever decided "the economy is doing poorly, I guess I won't buy those booster packs"? Show of hands.

That kind of discretionary spending decrease applies to cars and electronics and houses and etc, big ticket items, not really so much to impulse / relative-inexpensive-hobby purchases.

(Relatively inexpensive compared to, say, music gear or jet skis or etc)

Even if every player kept their spending the same, that wouldn't be good enough at the current rate of product releases. Hasbro is trying to get every drop of blood from the stone.

I cant remember if the chart has been linked here, but Magic used to sit around 1000 new cards over all its product releases every year. The last 2 years have had so many products, nearly 2k new cards were released in 2021 and 2022, plus reprints.

They are putting out a wild amount of product every year, and 2023 looks to be no different, with the 4 normal standard sets, plus the lord of the rings set, the doctor who commander decks, plus a supplemental set for one of the standard sets, plus commander decks for the standard sets and lord of the rings.

Then there are all the reprint products coming out next year like Dominaria Remastered, about 1 secret lair a week-ish, its a lot.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Even if every player kept their spending the same, that wouldn't be good enough at the current rate of product releases. Hasbro is trying to get every drop of blood from the stone.

I cant remember if the chart has been linked here, but Magic used to sit around 1000 new cards over all its product releases every year. The last 2 years have had so many products, nearly 2k new cards were released in 2021 and 2022, plus reprints.

They are putting out a wild amount of product every year, and 2023 looks to be no different, with the 4 normal standard sets, plus the lord of the rings set, the doctor who commander decks, plus a supplemental set for one of the standard sets, plus commander decks for the standard sets and lord of the rings.

Then there are all the reprint products coming out next year like Dominaria Remastered, about 1 secret lair a week-ish, its a lot.
They are catering to all the formats these days. Commander and etc used to just be an after thought. That's part of it.