MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The story is so fucking dumb, it's a world building disaster.

I loved Invasion and loved Mirrodin and loved New Phyrexia... what the fuck is this?

It's just another Californian capeshit endgame disaster, New Phyrexia has infinite forces to invade infinite planes and has instantly taken over a bunch of no name planes?

Why can't they invade one plane at a time and be a threat over a long period of time like they used to be?

Now they have to be utterly wiped out and maybe even reset time or something, that's the opposite of worldbuilding when a faction is so powerful that they have to go away.
There's a whole nothing set after this, March of the Machines, and then a subset March of the Machines: Aftermath. They said would have permanent changes to the structure of the multiverse, explained in the subset.

I'm pretty sure the Phyrexians win and there are Phyrexians everywhere. Or maybe that the Phyrexian invasion tree leaves paths through the multiverse that creatures other than planeswalkers can travel, meaning future sets may involve storylines that span multiple planes rather than confined to specific planes.

Regardless, I don't think the Phyrexians will be defeated. They didn't finally break down and retroactive add them as a creature type just to be rid of them.

EDIT: Apparently we're getting a new card type called "battle":

1674082429864.png

Which makes me think that maybe we'll get a new type of card representing warfronts that will be opening up throughout the multiverse.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Really they just wanted the Lore to make it easier to include Colorless cards in more sets. Turning Colorless into the Sixth Color on the Color wheel essentially.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Really they just wanted the Lore to make it easier to include Colorless cards in more sets. Turning Colorless into the Sixth Color on the Color wheel essentially.
That would be Eldrazi not phyrexians.

I think it'll be something different.

• 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm betting the Phyrexians break into some planes that have something worse than they are. The new enemy has ways of not being compleated, which is adopted and spread throughout the multiverse. The Phyrexians get their asses beat badly, but eventually both Phyrexians and non-Phyrexians must team up for mutual survival to defeat the common enemy. In the end, the Phyrexians have to kill the tree to close the paths to these new planes, but the way to prevent compleation is already widespread. Elesh Norn got her ass kicked at some point, and Phyrexians and non-Phyrexians live side by side in relative peace.

Basically "The Tyranids didn't come to the milky way galaxy because they are hungry; they are running from something" theory.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't think that's gonna be it either. MTG lore has the "benefit" of not actually having to make any sense so they don't have to follow any obvious tropes either.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Phyrexia wins, WotC adds all current magic cards to the Reserved List and announces Magic 2, with Creatures and Planeswalkers as the only remaining card types

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Phyrexia wins, WotC adds all current magic cards to the Reserved List and announces Magic 2, with Creatures and Planeswalkers as the only remaining card types
Sweet, no more getting mana screwed.

• 1Worf

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
New bundle of SLs coming out because, that train ain't stopping. But hey, do you notice anything on the guy in the center of this pic? Hint: We can prove he's male!

stonecoilserp.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Barf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Mirage has some great art in general. I miss the Mirage / Tempest era art

• 3Solidarity

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
For as much shit as I give Lizards of the Coast for everything they do to "extract maximum shareholder value" I can't deny that Elesh Norn with Phyrexian holo symbols isn't cool as fuck.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
First prerelease down, set booster box acquired. Milled four players out with new Jace splashed in my GW aggro deck. This limited can be really punishing. Managed to beat turn 2 Skrelv's Hive twice. It looks a lot like Bitterblossom, but Bitterblossom it is not.

First time another human being has ever called me intimidating, today. Apparently his other opponents tilted off and didn't even try to beat him