MTG thread

Ive been wanting to try magic forever, and i finally bought Magic2014 on steam sale. Pretty fun but then going on forums, realized you cant make own decks with game. So lookin on web for new games i found this game thats launching on steam next month:http://infinitywarsgame.com/

Has anyone of you played it? How does it compare to MTG, depth of strategy you can do, etc... obviously IW must be more limited because of the smaller amount of cards, but regardless, does it have potential? Im a total card noob, but im enjoying this one alot, dropped 35$ on it because i like how its completely non pay to win, as you can get illimited booster packs simply by playing the game.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So far i'm thinking try and pick the fastest most aggressive colors for BNG release. Sealed favors aggression I assume because the chances of your opponent drawing aFated Retribution | Born of the Godsare lower when they don't have four of them.

Would that hold true if I end up pulling awesome blue cards and end up playing control? Like being more aggressive with what I choose to counter instead of keeping stuff in my hand to cast against threats my opponent probably wont even draw?

If I play aggressive creatures do I play 40 cards to maximize my chance to draw bombs? If i'm playing control do I play closer to 60 cards to maximize my options of control?

What can a new player like me do to throw the vets off there games?

So far I am thinking seeded pack blue, and hoping for black/blue, lots of evasion, lots of removal. The rumor floating around is you will get to pick a god with the color your seeded, Phenax and Arbiter of the Ideal have good synergy I feel.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can't really preplan sealed all that much. Just learn where cards perform vs their costs (undercost, overcosted, etcetc), learn this set's mana curve rules, accept that you WILL be playing with junk cards who will NEVER see constructed or even draft play, and pray.

You are literally at the mercy of the pack gods, so going in with any sort of "by God, I'm Playing <color> or <strat>!" will fail more times than not. Maybe you get 8 different good heroics AND the candy to feed them. Maybe you get all of the counterspells. Maybe you get nothing but phat fatass fatties and mana ramp.

More likely you get 2 from column A, 2 from B, and 3 from C.

You just never know.

You always want 40, (although I personally always had better luck with 41, but w-e).

Know the rules, the timing, and the card interactions. You're not going to throw Vets off (pst, thats why they're VETS), but you can minimize the times you Lose yourself the game (rather than them Winning it)

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
You can't really preplan sealed all that much. Just learn where cards perform vs their costs (undercost, overcosted, etcetc), learn this set's mana curve rules, accept that you WILL be playing with junk cards who will NEVER see constructed or even draft play, and pray.

You are literally at the mercy of the pack gods, so going in with any sort of "by God, I'm Playing <color> or <strat>!" will fail more times than not. Maybe you get 8 different good heroics AND the candy to feed them. Maybe you get all of the counterspells. Maybe you get nothing but phat fatass fatties and mana ramp.

More likely you get 2 from column A, 2 from B, and 3 from C.

You just never know.

You always want 40, (although I personally always had better luck with 41, but w-e).

Know the rules, the timing, and the card interactions. You're not going to throw Vets off (pst, thats why they're VETS), but you can minimize the times you Lose yourself the game (rather than them Winning it)
So just try to know the cards and go in open minded?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
18 lands, 22 spells is your default in sealed. There are reasons to deviate but its the standard step 0.

Xalara

Golden Squire
This podcast is your friend:Limited Resources | Magic: The Gathering podcast with an emphasis on improving at Limited play.And yeah, for sealed it's really a test of your deck building skills since the pool can be completely random. As I said earlier I had a pool with no deep colours but a bunch of mana fixing and so I went 5 colour good stuff. Other pools means you can do different things.

That said, if Born of the Gods pre-release is anything like Theros pre-release be prepared to see a lot of gods since the seeded packs had a high chance of a god. Never mind that you have a 1/16 chance of opening a god from a regular BNG pack. For Theros the percentage of gods is 1/24

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Hot damn. Two days after trading into some Volcanics and Force of Wills, SCG goes and raises the price 20%. Wonder if that'll stick.

rad

Lord of Guk
SCG is bunk, why do you give them business? Local or TCGPlayer should be your avenues.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They are, when I'm buying cards with cash. SCG sets the baseline for everyone else, though, and for trade values they are much more stable than the asinine penny stock shitshow that TCG has become.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Honestly just listen to the podcast I linked if you want a good idea of each of the cards. Marshal Sutcliffe and Brian Wong are some of the best limited magic players and they go through the upsides and downsides of all the commons and uncommons in depth from a limited perspective. The rares and mythics are next week's episode.

Listening to Limited Resources is probably the best thing you can do to improve your limited play short of watching streams of players who explain their picks.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Im halfway through the Limited Resources pod cast, sooooo much good information. Many thanks for the link. Getting pretty excited for my first ever pre-release tomorrow!

rad

Lord of Guk
So ended up going 2-2 with a deck I should of gone atleast 3-1, so that was sad face. Pulled great though - Stormbreath, Ashiok & Brimaz.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Just got back from my first ever pre-release. Went 3-1 to get 3rd place out of 26. Pretty happy, my very last match up was the best guy there. He smashed me game 1 but I had him game 2 and made 3 mistakes. Really kicking myself. I think I could have won the third with my deck. Great learning experience.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Turns out I'm too much of an old fart for midnight releases anymore, but my FLGS had 102 attendees. That's kinda insane considering FNM has only been a priority up there since mid-December. They're rapidly outgrowing their space and will be expanding into the building next door very soon at this rate.

Yesterday was a good day for my legacy collection. Picked up 7 duals, a set of Flooded Strands and finished out my Force of Wills. I'm now one dual and a handful of Stifles or Stoneforges a way from both RUG Delver and RWU Delver, and only need two Divining Tops for Miracles. Starting to get respectable.

Grinding legacy today with a group headed to Nashville for the Open. I'm hoping I'll get lucky and finish off at least one list today.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Ive been wanting to try magic forever, and i finally bought Magic2014 on steam sale. Pretty fun but then going on forums, realized you cant make own decks with game. So lookin on web for new games i found this game thats launching on steam next month:http://infinitywarsgame.com/

Has anyone of you played it? How does it compare to MTG, depth of strategy you can do, etc... obviously IW must be more limited because of the smaller amount of cards, but regardless, does it have potential? Im a total card noob, but im enjoying this one alot, dropped 35$ on it because i like how its completely non pay to win, as you can get illimited booster packs simply by playing the game.
I think Magic 2014 is pretty decent, yes you can't make your own decks, but if you grab all the promo codes, you can customize each with 40 new cards, so after you throw out all the trash you have some space for creativity and the sealed play option is also rather nice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I suck at sealed deck, lost to a guy who chose to go second and didn't use sleeves. This is a day after going 4-0 at FNM.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I suck at sealed deck, lost to a guy who chose to go second and didn't use sleeves. This is a day after going 4-0 at FNM.
Couple things that stuck out to me. Mogis is a cunt and really hard to kill in limited.Akroan Conscriptor | Born of the Gods Spoiler+Felhide Spiritbinder | Born of the Godsis sick. I was playing Red/Blue, untap the Felhide, copy my Akroan Conscriptor. Triton tactics my consciptors Steal two of his creatures and I think I swung for 17 on that turn.