MTG thread

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah it's not a guarentee with maindeck x4 Brave the Elements and possibility of Fortify or Rootborn Defences in sideboard though.

This is the first time I've looked at a spoiled card and thought "what the fuck are they thinking", mainly because of the mana cost. Luckily it goes in the deck I play
smile.png

Xalara

Golden Squire
This is true, though we will see what happens. I suspect it won't be that bad as there are still lots of exile effects in standard. Might just mean I'll move over to naya monsters if this manages to cut down on the amount of monoblack and control decks.l since naya gives me access to lots of good exile removal along with lifegain and Aurelia.

Let's be honest too, it is nice seeing bunch of cards that hose control.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am randomly browsing twitch channels and happen on SCG Legacy. I don't play anymore but this dude is playing U/W/R Miracles and gave me a semi. Sensei Diving Top + Counterbalance is such a sick control strategy.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Just had our first Master of Commander event. A single elimination 1 vs bracketed commander event.

The commanders were: Kaalia of the Vast
2 people played Olivia Voldaren
Zur The Enchanter
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind (me)
and Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

The guy playing Zur won pretty handily. He won 3 packs and a decent sized Stanley Cup replica with MTG decorations on it. He also carries the title Master Of Commander to the next event (we plan on playing this tournament once a month). Since he won with his Zur deck he isn't aloud to change his deck until hes beaten.

Now we are all wracking out brains to figure out how to beat Zur.

Any suggestions?

Just had our first Master of Commander event. A single elimination 1 vs bracketed commander event.

The commanders were: Kaalia of the Vast
2 people played Olivia Voldaren
Zur The Enchanter
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind (me)
and Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

The guy playing Zur won pretty handily. He won 3 packs and a decent sized Stanley Cup replica with MTG decorations on it. He also carries the title Master Of Commander to the next event (we plan on playing this tournament once a month). Since he won with his Zur deck he isn't aloud to change his deck until hes beaten.

Now we are all wracking out brains to figure out how to beat Zur.

Any suggestions?
If you're playing 1v1 Commander, you should follow theFrench Banned and Restricted list. This is the most commonly used guideline for 1v1. Then tell him his general is banned
wink.png

Or you can use effects to prevent him from searching the deack like Stranglehold or Leonin Arbiter. You can go with prison type effects to prevent him from attacking like Ghostly Prison or Propaganda. You can always just kill his general with infinite choices since it lacks hexproof.

The real question is how does this guy run his deck? I'm guessing he voltrons up Zur, which makes the prison effects not very useful (although Peacekeeper can be fun!). If he doesn't play with a lot of other dudes, edit effects are going to be very strong no matter what enchantments he puts on him. I played a Zur deck before he was banned that did not rely on a Voltron strategy. I would search out combos like Rest in Peace and Energy Field and more often than not win with Helm of Obedience with that Rest in Peace in play. Mine actually ran very few enchantments and had a heavy control element to it.

TLDR version: It's harder to suggest how to beat him if we're not sure what he does.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
If you're playing 1v1 Commander, you should follow theFrench Banned and Restricted list. This is the most commonly used guideline for 1v1. Then tell him his general is banned
wink.png

Or you can use effects to prevent him from searching the deack like Stranglehold or Leonin Arbiter. You can go with prison type effects to prevent him from attacking like Ghostly Prison or Propaganda. You can always just kill his general with infinite choices since it lacks hexproof.

The real question is how does this guy run his deck? I'm guessing he voltrons up Zur, which makes the prison effects not very useful (although Peacekeeper can be fun!). If he doesn't play with a lot of other dudes, edit effects are going to be very strong no matter what enchantments he puts on him. I played a Zur deck before he was banned that did not rely on a Voltron strategy. I would search out combos like Rest in Peace and Energy Field and more often than not win with Helm of Obedience with that Rest in Peace in play. Mine actually ran very few enchantments and had a heavy control element to it.

TLDR version: It's harder to suggest how to beat him if we're not sure what he does.
He pops Zur and tutors upDiplomatic Immunity (Mercadian Masques) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
then just answers whatever threat you make for him. The guy has been playing MTG for a LONG time. He's pretty damn good. We also know about the french rules but totally forgot until the day before the tournament, we decided it would be unfair to make him change since it was so soon before the tourney. He said he will play it once more. He can be beaten and we all enjoy the challenge.

Then again we could change the rules before the next one. We are holding the event again May 4th. Heres the poster for it
wink.png

zZxQmcW.jpg

Xalara

Golden Squire
I have been thinking about enchantment creatures, constellation, and the card Extinguish All Hope and I actually think there might be a deck there. Obviously we need to see the commons and uncommons but Extinguish All Hope I think has some interesting applications for an enchantment creature based strategy.

He pops Zur and tutors upDiplomatic Immunity (Mercadian Masques) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
then just answers whatever threat you make for him.
Sounds like you want to run a deck like Shattergang Brothers. Make tokens, blow up guys. If you are speifically focused on this guy, overload your deck with edict style effects (Diabolic Edict, Cruel Edict, Innocent Blood). That was the deck I was most concerned with at last week's tournament when I was running my Geist of Saint Traft deck.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Sakashima won't fix your problem. He'll copy Zur but not any of the enchantments on him.
I could just try to out Zur his Zur.

We also decided that if someone wins with the same commander 3 times in a row that it will be retired and no one can use it anymore in our tournament.

I have some other ideas. Playing something like this.

1u5xUPF.jpg

Or building a control deck around this commander.

gwafa-hazid-profiteer_medium.jpg

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I could just try to out Zur his Zur.

We also decided that if someone wins with the same commander 3 times in a row that it will be retired and no one can use it anymore in our tournament.
A simple solution is to retire the winning commander each week, meaning the player has to take at least a week off after winning. I make a habit of doing this with my standard decks, actually. It just keeps me fresh.

Btw, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV is easily the best control commander in UW.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rules question. If an opponent has a global effect that reduces the toughness of your creatures (Elesh Norn, etc....), and you have a "sac' a creature" mechanism in play (goblin bombardment, etc...) does your creature remain in play long enough to sacrifice in response to its toughness being lowered?

Does "dying" go on the stack? Obviously you could sac in response to an Elesh Norn being cast and on the stack, but once it's in play, can you cast a creature, and then sac that creature before it dies?

Northerner

N00b
704.5f If a creature has toughness 0 or less, it's put into its owner's graveyard.
704.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 116, "Timing and Priority"), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based actions, then performs all applicable state-based actions simultaneously as a single event.

This is a state-based action so there's really nothing that can be done. There is no "dying" action on the stack, it simply resolves card state just *prior* to the next priority swap.

SirJames

Golden Squire
Rules question. If an opponent has a global effect that reduces the toughness of your creatures (Elesh Norn, etc....), and you have a "sac' a creature" mechanism in play (goblin bombardment, etc...) does your creature remain in play long enough to sacrifice in response to its toughness being lowered?

Does "dying" go on the stack? Obviously you could sac in response to an Elesh Norn being cast and on the stack, but once it's in play, can you cast a creature, and then sac that creature before it dies?
You need to put the "sacrifice" ability on the stack before the "reduction of toughness" resolves.

You can sacrifice in response to him casting the global reduction spell, creature, etc. but once that resolves and becomes active, all creatures whose toughness is 0 go directly to graveyard, no stack, no response allowed.