MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Anyone who thinks Kamigawa was the worst block ever didn't get to play Ice Age/Alliances/Homelands. That shit might as well have been pauper magic. Champions and Betrayers weren't bad, but Saviors was very weak. The set was also too insular; the mechanics didn't play well with sets outside of the block.
I'm sorry, did you mean Ice Age/Alliances/Cold Snap?

Overall that's an awkward time in MtG's history. Fallen Empires was crap, 4th Edition took away most of the good stuff of Revised while still having Laces and other unplayables, Chronicles was mega printed and unpopular with long time players, Homelands comes out and has nothing to do with Ice Age/Alliances, and when Mirage comes out they decide to not rotate anything so the newly created Standard (Type II) is weird and huge. Ice Age is a good set. Alliances would be a great set if it didn't have a miserable rarity system that allowed for some rares to be on the rare sheet SIX FUCKING TIMES (Whirling Catapult, Sol Grail, Urza's Engine, the three I can always name off the top of my head) and extra uncommon uncommons (why yes, Force of Will is one of those). Opening packs of Alliances was just a miserable experience with those goddamn R6s. Homelands has probably the smallest number of relevant cards of any set ever made.

I personally have no fond memories of Onslaught Block (oh man, let's do an expansion that is entirely tribal creatures, that'll be awesome) so that would be my personal pick but I don't think Kamigawa is a bad choice for the modern era. There's some great flavor and some cards I just love but it's also got tons of crap and the very hated Umezawa's Jitte. Jitte was a complete powerhouse in block and in Standard the entire time it was legal. I don't remember exactly but I think after shortly after Kamigawa there stopped being block seasons/block tournaments.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kamigawa seemed bad because it came right after Mirrodin completely assraped standard. Because Ravager Affinity wasn't bad enough, we had to suffer through Tooth and Nail after Affinity got banned.

Also, people liked to bitch about Jitte but I'd probably still take some of the various Swords of X and X over Jitte.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Mist you are crazy, the masques block gave us great flavor and integration into the magic lore. It gave us great mechanics, kicker, the dragons, domain decks, rebel decks vs mercenary decks. It was a great deck.

Want to see a planewalker dying? Look at confound. Urza straight up kills an evil planewalker and uses him to power his soul bomb. The titan engines. ( the best piece of lore that never made it to a card) Want to see another planewalker going bezerk? Look urza rage please.
Urza even looks at his own brother mishra, suffering eternally bounded in one of the spheres and urza just looks at him,( urzas guilt), and keeps him there suffering eternally.

Also on the Phyrezyan arena when urza head's gets cut off.

The whole legacy weapon arc is amazing, the card, karn, the legacy weapon, teferis response, recoil, it had great cards, misdirection, submerge, unmask, all of those are legacy quality cards.

And the best flavor text of all time. You will recognize it.
"Don't mourn me.. This is my destiny"... Into a $50 card.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you start flipping through the block it's not bad with Apocalypse being especially spicy. Vindicate, Phyrexian Arena, Mystic Snake, Spirit Monger, Spectral Lynx, Fire/Ice. It just gets overshadowed by Rebels.

edit - gah, Prophecy is where the Fading enchanments like Parallax Tide and Parallax Wave show up. The deck I hate the most ofall timeis Replenish. A close second is Counter Post.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist you are crazy, the masques block gave us great flavor and integration into the magic lore. It gave us great mechanics, kicker, the dragons, domain decks, rebel decks vs mercenary decks. It was a great deck. Want to see a planewalker dying? It is on the card, want to see another planewalker going bezerk? urza rage please. Phyrezyan arena when urza head gets cut off.

And the best flavor text of all time. You will recognize it.
"Don't mourn me.. This is my destiny"... Into a $50 card.
Kicker was Invasion block. Urza's Rage was Invasion. The 5 dragons... were in Apocalypse, which was in Invasion block. Domain was also Invasion block.

So yeah, everything you mentioned other than rebels and mercs were in invasion block, and mercs were fucking terrible.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I edited my post. Sorry I confused invasion with masques.
I guess then masacre then? Sorry I lumped them together.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If you start flipping through the block it's not bad with Apocalypse being especially spicy. Vindicate, Phyrexian Arena, Mystic Snake, Spirit Monger, Spectral Lynx, Fire/Ice. It just gets overshadowed by Rebels.

edit - gah, Prophecy is where the Fading enchanments like Parallax Tide and Parallax Wave show up. The deck I hate the most ofall timeis Replenish. A close second is Counter Post.
My commander deck is a replenish deck with hive mind and omniscience been fetched with rector. It is so awesome. Omniscience plus attunement is broken.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Anyone made a constellation based deck?
Kind of.

I built a deck around this.

oblivion-ring_medium.jpg

Image.ashx

I play white black control till I get a Grim Guardian on the board. Then I O ring my own Grim Guardian. I cast plea for guidance to find 2 more O rings. Then I O ring the O ring that is on grim guardian, then I o ring that o ring, bringing the first o ring under my control, then I o ring that o ring then I o ring that o ring and so on.

Elerion

N00b
Replenish is my favourite deck of all time, simply because it came 1 game short of qualifying me for Euros/Worlds. I'm still salty I couldn't draw a tutor or laboratory in two games vs Bargain in that last round
frown.png

salumeth

Trakanon Raider
Kind of.

I built a deck around this.

I play white black control till I get a Grim Guardian on the board. Then I O ring my own Grim Guardian. I cast plea for guidance to find 2 more O rings. Then I O ring the O ring that is on grim guardian, then I o ring that o ring, bringing the first o ring under my control, then I o ring that o ring then I o ring that o ring and so on.
Nice, I'm looking at using grim guardian and spiteful returned in a black deck.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It was a joke you goomba. And the amount of drafts that went on during that time period were close to zero. Everyone was doing sealed and would be for a long time.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It was a joke you goomba. And the amount of drafts that went on during that time period were close to zero. Everyone was doing sealed and would be for a long time.
I suspected as much after reading the rest of the post. It's a long day, sorry.
tongue.png

In other news, just heard a friend had his car broken into and his bag stolen today at work, including his Esper Deathblade deck. Very bummed.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Welcome to last week Ninen =P While it's obvious that Hexheavily borrowedfrom MTG, it's seriously moving the genre forward in a way MTG either couldn't or refused to do. WOTC has had the ability to do this for YEARS but was happy to rest on their laurels. Well guess what? Cryptozoic is going to pick up that slack. I understand why Hasbro is suing - they are scared shitless - and they should be.

Fuck WOTC/Hasbro for getting in the way of progress. I'll never give them a dime again.

Elerion

N00b
Let's be real here, Hex (from what I have seen) has basically copied MTG. I'm as disappointed in WOTC's online efforts as you, but I don't think we can fault them for defending against blatant plagiarism.