MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Rev is a soft win con, yeah. It just buries the opponent in card advantage. However, the 4 mana sweeper has been a staple of control strategies since Wrath of God. Control decks need a way to get a head of the opponent on resources, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a Brain Geyser stapled to a Stream of Life.

Consider that just last rotation, when control had arguably even more resources than it does now, Sphinx's Rev wasn't the kill method of choice despite being in the deck. Nephalia Drownyard did the actual work.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Tri-lands !!!!

rrr_img_73967.jpg

Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They're wedge panoramas. I would definitely stock up on foils of those for EDH peoples.

I'm still punching myself for not buying foil Chromatic Lanterns.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Isn't the bigger issue Sphinx's Revelation going away? It's not the verdict that wins the game for control, it's usually the 2nd Rev.
Jace's Ingenuity isn't terrible. There's also Steam Augury, Divination, Font of Fortunes, and Keranos for drawing cards.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I am fine with control not having a four mana sweeper. With things like Anger of the Gods, Aetherspouts, and Fated Retribution plus whatever Khans may have, it just means control players will have to spend more time tailoring their decks to the given metagame.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Passed my L1 test this weekend. Too bad I couldn't get it scheduled just a few weeks earlier. I barely missed the Nielsen lands.
frown.png

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm all for it. It's going to make things a little bit interesting in terms of mana fixing for standard though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thank god for that, Core Sets suck. I imagine they will have some kind of newbie product to replace it, possibly always standard legal.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I haven't liked a single core set since Tenth Edition and am 100% for the elimination of the core set product. The 18 month cycle looks good.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I really like the looks of that change. I'm interested to see how they compensate for the loss of the core pool

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I like that rotation is 18 months now instead of 24. Like it said in the article, towards the end all I could think of is, " I can't wait until (Fairies, Jund, Afinity, Sphinx's Revelation) rotates out so I can enjoy standard again.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Faster rotation without additional sets is definitely a good thing. It won't mean significantly higher costs to play, but it will mean no deck dominates for quite as long. Also, you can put "risky' reprints in the small sets where they'll only be legal 15 months. Even that amount of time is enough to be oppressive (see Mutavault).

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
What do you think the over / under will be with him either printing the Onslaught fetches or the legendary alpha duels in the last core set (m16) as a send off? What about an all reprint set?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'd be all for regular duals getting reprinted, but it just won't happen. At least not until the game really starts to wane, to try and draw people back in.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It would have the opposite effect when it crashed everyone's collection value.

No duals next year. That's never going to happen. I do think fetches have a strong likelihood sooner than later, however. Possibly even in Khans (onslaught only).

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
It cant be original alpha duels due to the reprint list but since they changed the legendary rule to be only your side, Maro stated that it greatly increases the chance of Wizards printing more legendary lands due to them not being used as "Wastelands" if your opponent is using the same land.

This fact led to the discussion of "Legendary Alpha" lands like:

Serra's Savanna
Legendary Land - Plans Forest
T: Add a W or G mana to your mana pool.

They are probably too good for standard if fetches are around because like shocks, you could just run one of each and they would essentially be duels, but you never know (shrug)