Murders and Shootings

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
That may be the case, but again you don't see it used with anywhere near the same prevalence as firearms. Arguing that these would be used in place of firearms with more prevalence is certainly debatable as most of these types of acts are carried out by deranged people were clear thought is certainly not always the case.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Gun control and health care are the two obvious ways to address our problem with mass shootings. Which is why the problem will not be addressed.
There are 290,000,000 guns in the United States. If guns were the problem would have a lot more mass shootings. The real source of modern Columbine type shootings is media over-exposure which turns low self-esteem 15 year old kids contemplating suicide into 20 year old kids contemplating suicide via mass-murder and resultant fame.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What about murders by firearms in general? I'm pretty sure the rate of deaths here in the States outstrips by far every other nation in the world.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
There are 290,000,000 guns in the United States. If guns were the problem would have a lot more mass shootings. The real source of modern Columbine type shootings is media over-exposure which turns low self-esteem 15 year old kids contemplating suicide into 20 year old kids contemplating suicide via mass-murder and resultant fame.
As one of those kids who once contemplated these acts, I call bullshit. The reason to kill is to make others feel your pain. Depression and mental illness is not a positive, let's go be famous, outlook. It is about negativity and suffering. This is of course anecdotal, but I do not buy into the idea that people do it for fame.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Building a homemade device that could do serious damage isn't that hard. Hell a couple molotov cocktails thrown in the right places could have done more than the gun.
This is kinda what I'm getting at, the simplicity of destruction seems to be lost on people.

Regulation of the "tools" of destruction would be a pretty wide set of regulations seeing as how people perform acts of a vicious nature with cooking utensils.

I'm not suggesting that society does nothing, but whatever answer I give would be very much slanted to my point of view and wouldn't capture the entire need of the people in the slightest sense.

IMHO, social programs that encompass "At risk" individuals would be beneficial to a large amount of Americans (and people for that matter).

Get into the mentality of why a person performs these acts. You can certainly tell the act is an emotional one because after the act is completed the person tries to die in many ways from either taking their own lives or death by police. They understand what they did was wrong but, it seems like, during the act they black out to any sense of remorse or morality and only after the act is complete do they come around and understand weight of their actions.

That last 2 bits was just ramblings.

As the president said, the survivors are lucky but their path of recovery and turmoil begins now.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I think it's incredibly naive to believe there is a single source to this problem. It is almost certainly overdetermined. But guns -- their efficiency and availability -- are certainly part of the problem.

And we won't fix media over-exposure, which is another part of the problem, because of the First Amendment. At least not with legislation. And consumer pressure for less coverage seems highly unlikely because this is the sort of thing everyone tunes into.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
GuardianX, you tried to say that if guns were banned (which no one said) that this guy could have just pulled a 9/11 to kill a lot of people. Ridiculous.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This fucker only killed those people to become famous after death.

Boycot using his name or pictures of him. No mention of his name or pictures of him as other then the shooter on TV, Newspapers are even here on this site.

Talk about subject but just make the shooter nameless and faceless so he doesn't get what he wanted by killing all those children.

ninjarr_sl

shitlord
Ahh sorry you wanted higher body count. My bad I thought you were just comparing gruesome acts to gruesome acts.

Here, a better example to people not using guns to commit a gruesome act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

Also, go fuck yourself.

If you ban guns you don't ban the problem. You change the problem to some other means of destruction.

Ban on guns? they go and buy home-made device material.

Ban on readily available home garden material? They buy a butchers knife.

Ban on knives? People start getting better and better at using rolling pins.

People blaming inanimate objects for these things makes me lose faith in humanity.
How do you know this?

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
1- This is so completely fucked up and am raging.
2- People saying this isnt the time to talk about gun control are making me rage even more. Wtf does it take to look at the politics, the NRA and say this shit gotta stop. "From my cold dead hands" What kind of psycho babble is that nonsense.
3- I dont want to come out nonsentimental but a crying president isnt needed right now. I understand he feels the pain has a parent etc etc, but the guy needs to have his balls freed from the grasp of the NRA / bible belt freakshow, step up and show how progressive he really is.
4- Am about to complete my firefighter training and if am ever a first responder on a call like this, ill be scarred for life by a nutbag who can create mass destruction by simply walking in a wallmart and checking out at the counter freely.

fuck

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Horrible stuff. I can't imagine how the first responders felt when they walked into a room full of dead children.
This.

I can't imagine the amount of clarity needed to walk into that pit and walk back out then go calmly to another location to assist with a "minor" crime.

All the shit that police get and basically having to see the worst in humanity day after day. Envy them I do not.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
And we won't fix media over-exposure, which is another part of the problem, because of the First Amendment. At least not with legislation. And consumer pressure for that sort of thing seems highly unlikely because this is the sort of thing everyone tunes into.
I know we can't fix it but we can recognize the real problem and not go all Rombo.

I'm not blaming the guns, I'm stating the damage would have been limited if he didn't have them.
The particulars of getting to a world where "he didn't have them" ("he" being a stand-in for the next lunatic) are relevant to the question of whether we ought to bother in a way that is not addressed by this sort of crude analysis. Equally relevant is the overall probability of such events occurring in the first place:

What about murders by firearms in general? I'm pretty sure the rate of deaths here in the States outstrips by far every other nation in the world.
As a matter of priorities, Parkinson's kills more people than all murders (firearms or not), and heart disease and cancer obviously put Parkinson's to shame. In fact even constrained to deliberately caused deaths, suicides are a much more common killer than homicide.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Banning guns wont heal the fuckups of this world but itll make it harder to walk in a school and blaze kids with no mean to respond whatsoever.
Id rather have a guy who didnt have acces to a rifle come at me with a polearm. Or a pointy stick.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuc...reports,30743/
WASHINGTON-Following the fatal shooting this morning at a Connecticut elementary school that left at least 27 dead, including 20 small children, sources across the nation shook their heads, stifled a sob in their voices, and reported fuck everything. Just fuck it all to hell.

All of it, sources added.

"I'm sorry, but fuck it, I can't handle this-I just can't handle it anymore," said Deborah McEllis, who added that "no, no, no, no, no, this isn't happening, this can't be real." "Seriously, what the hell is this? What's even going on anymore? Why do things like this keep happening?"

Continued McEllis, before covering her face with her hands, "Why?"

Despairing sources confirmed that the gunman, armed with a semiautomatic assault rifle-a fucking combat rifle, Jesus-walked into a classroom full of goddamned children where his mother was a teacher and, good God, if this is what the world is becoming, then how about we just pack it in and fucking give up, because this is no way to live.

I mean, honestly, all 315 million Americans confirmed.

"Well, I suppose we have to try to pick up the pieces and make some sort of sense of this tragedy and-you know what? Fuck it, I can't do this," said Connecticut resident Michael Zaleski, his remarks understandable given the circumstances, because, holy shit, what else can one say? "I'm sorry, but I can't fucking do this. Can you? Can anyone?"

Witnesses said the gunman fired at least 100 rounds during his deadly rampage, which, according to children in the school-goddamnit, how? How? Twenty children. Dead. In a fucking school.

No. No, no, no.

"I just feel so [why does it even matter what this person said when no words can bring 20 dead kids back to life?]" said some person who, just like everyone else, is completely unable to process or handle any of this. "It's awful. Just too awful to bear."

Americans reported feelings of overwhelming disgust with whatever abhorrent bastard did this and with the world at large for ever allowing it to happen, as well as with politicians, with the NRA, and above all with their own pathetic goddamn selves, sitting in front of a fucking computer instead of doing fucking anything to help anyone-Christ, as if that were even fucking possible, as if anyone could change what happened, as if the same fucking bullshit isn't going to keep happening again and again and fucking again before people finally decide it's time to change the way we live, so what's the point? What the hell is the goddamned point?

"I." said Tom Miller, 27, after reading an article about the tragedy online. "I just."

"." he added.

At press time.screw it, there's nothing else to say.