NBA 2014 - 2015 Season Thread

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The honest truth is Rose has always been one of the most overrated players in the league. Don't get me wrong. He is still a good PG when healthy, but he's not an MVP caliber player despite winning one and the media thinking he is.

Seems like a nice, level headed kid though. It's sad in instances like this and Brandon Roy where they're getting so much of their careers cut short.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Assuming the thunder keep winning look for Westbrook to start generating a ton of MVP buzz and maybe take it. Only five players in history have averaged 26 pts, 7 assists, and 6 rebs in a season (Bird, MJ, LeBron, Oscar, and Havlicek).

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Assuming the thunder keep winning look for Westbrook to start generating a ton of MVP buzz and maybe take it. Only five players in history have averaged 26 pts, 7 assists, and 6 rebs in a season (Bird, MJ, LeBron, Oscar, and Havlicek).
He's worked his way into the discussion with Curry and Harden for sure. I still think the obvious winner for this is Curry and unless he slumps big time will end up the case at the end of the year. Everyone points to how much more talented the Warriors are, but they completely ignore just how much worse every other player on the team is when Curry is off the court. They're a very deep and talented team, but he holds it all together.

You know this just as well as I do though, Foggy. Even if Westbrook ends up with a superior statistical argument for MVP over those other two guys, the Thunder won't have enough wins on the season for the media to give him the award. That trophy always goes to the best player on one of the best teams. Not to the best player that was most responsible for getting his team to the playoffs as it maybe should be (like Kobe in 06). You can kiss this dream goodbye right now.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the media give the record a pass since it was due to injuries, not a bad team. If Durant returns healthy, they will be the favorites to win the West. So this situation doesn't quite fit with a best player on a bad team (Kobe 06) scenario.

I think Curry is the favorite to win it but the Thunder could go on a massive run and build momentum (Durant 14, LeBron 13) that will pass consistently great from Curry being taken for granted.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
26 pts, 7 assists, and 6 rebs in a season (Bird, MJ, LeBron, Oscar, and Havlicek).
One more thing. I seriously hate statistics like this when they ignore position context. 26/7/6 says a lot more about LeBron, who is distributing and reboudning above positional averages with those numbers, than it does about Westbrook. Half of the starting PGs in the league average 6+ assists and Russell's 2 more per game are much less impressive when you factor in how turnover prone he is. 26/7/6 for a PG that turns the ball over 4 times a game? That just tells me he's an above average rebounder.

The media used to pull the same shit for Steve Francis for his 25/5/5 seasons which was even worse. Because in those instances he was even below average on assists for his position. Anyway. Pet peeve. Call me a Westbrook hater if you want. I don't think it's fair to put a PG up against less traditional playmaking positions (Oscar aside).

Edit: Westbrook is playing great this year. I'd even go as far to say that he's having a comparable season to what CP3 normally does, which honestly I didn't think he would ever be capable of. He just becomes less valuable with Durant on the court as Russell's real skills happen when he has the ball in his hands and is asked to score.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Going to call this right now. The absolute highway robbery that will occur this offseason will go to whoever signs Khris Middleton.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I have him in fantasy otherwise I probably would have no clue the kind of season he's having. GM's might be paying more attention than the media and fans, though.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I have him in fantasy otherwise I probably would have no clue the kind of season he's having. GM's might be paying more attention than the media and fans, though.
He may even get a decent contract but it'll still end up being less than what he's worth. Right now he's the very definition of a perfect roleplayer and I'm even curious what he would be like with more usage. He's great around the basket and he shoots 48% on long midrange shots. That's insane.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think the media give the record a pass since it was due to injuries, not a bad team.If Durant returns healthy, they will be the favorites to win the West.So this situation doesn't quite fit with a best player on a bad team (Kobe 06) scenario.

I think Curry is the favorite to win it but the Thunder could go on a massive run and build momentum (Durant 14, LeBron 13) that will pass consistently great from Curry being taken for granted.
Only Thunder fans are saying this. I don't get it. It's not like the competition out there is just "good" and a healthy OKC team is best ever levels. Even when both Durant and WB were on the court, they were still not looking like world beaters many nights.

Curry had a 32 point, 8 assist game with no turnovers last night. 32 points off 18 shots.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only Thunder fans are saying this. I don't get it. It's not like the competition out there is just "good" and a healthy OKC team is best ever levels. Even when both Durant and WB were on the court, they were still not looking like world beaters many nights.

Curry had a 32 point, 8 assist game with no turnovers last night. 32 points off 18 shots.
There are a lot of analysts still picking them to win the West. It isn't a fan thing. When healthy they have 2 of the best 5 players in the league on their team. They might also be the deepest team after the trades too. It doesn't mean it will be easy, it will be a bloodbath. However, I'm pretty sure if you asked every team in the West playoffs which team they would least like to face in round 1, OKC would be named 7 out of 7.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
As a Dallas fan, I'd rather face OKC than Golden State. Dallas matches up pretty well against the Thunder, get smoked by GS every single fucking time.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Great win for the Rockets tonight. Harden played like an MVP and the team finally snapped a 6 game losing streak against the Clippers.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There are a lot of analysts still picking them to win the West. It isn't a fan thing. When healthy they have 2 of the best 5 players in the league on their team. They might also be the deepest team after the trades too. It doesn't mean it will be easy, it will be a bloodbath. However, I'm pretty sure if you asked every team in the West playoffs which team they would least like to face in round 1, OKC would be named 7 out of 7.
And you think OKC is OK with playing GS or Memphis in the first round? GS went 3-1 against OKC this season. GS also has extreme depth. Fucking Andre Iguodala comes off the bench. PG is really the only spot where they're a bit light but it's not like Livingston sucks.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Livingston is a great defender which is all that team asks him to be.

This argument is dumb. Thunder fan thinks the Thunder are the team to beat in the West. News at 9.

In other news. I'mreallylooking forward to eating crow and admitting the better position the Wolves are in with Wiggins rather than Love. I'm not quite ready to do that just yet, but man you watch Andrew get the ball in the high post and turn on a dime baseline for a dunk and it gives you chills. He needs to finish better around the rim, but he rarely takes shitty shots like a fadeaway or a step back in that position like the McGrady/Kobe generation would. His potential is off the charts and after what I think was a pretty lackluster year at Kansas (for a supposed superstar) I just wasn't sure he'd get there. The more I watch him the more likely I think it is.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Fans of other teams bragging about beating okc during this regular season are awesome.