NBA 2014 Off-Season Thread

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
They were vastly different situations. Lakers paid Shaq more and he didn't form a super team because the Celtics were too good. He also isn't in the running for GOAT

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They offered him $20mil for 1 year. They wanted capspace to pursue Dwight and CP3. Then both of them fucked up and whined and got traded before they could become free agents.

Also add to the above deal Dalembert.

So if they re-sign Devin Harris to play PG for $3mil, and Dirk re-signs for $10mil (rough estimate, Duncan deal - could be even less), Mavs will still have ~$15 mil of cap space. Could still chase Parsons, Deng, or Gasol.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Shaq was leaving a team he just took to the finals for a franchise that missed the playoffs once over the past two decades to go along with 5 championships. A year later 4 players from that team were all stars. How are these vastly different situations? Shaq left for greener pastures. Hate LeBron but you have to hate fucking Shaq too.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't think people hate Shaq for team hopping. People hate LeBron not for leaving Cleveland, but HOW he left Cleveland.

Also that pre-championship Pep Rally in Miami where they declared they would win 8 championships rubbed people the wrong way.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
A lot of people do hate Shaq and he was a terrible teammate.

Going to LA had nothing to do with being afraid of competition. He wanted more money and to pursue acting. Do you even realize if Shaq stayed in Orlando, the world never would have experienced Kazaam or Steel? Is that really a world you want to live in?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Harris/Ellis/Melo/Dirk/Chandler - how you like that starting 5?

Mavs reacquiring Chandler is a power play to get Melo, they were tight in New York.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
I don't think people hate Shaq for team hopping. People hate LeBron not for leaving Cleveland, but HOW he left Cleveland.

Also that pre-championship Pep Rally in Miami where they declared they would win 8 championships rubbed people the wrong way.
I dont tsee how people dont get that. They think people hate on him just to hate on him because he's Lebron. Its not true. That whole thing is in poor taste and guess what, when people do things in bad taste and talk shit about winning all these finals in a row, guess what? they wanna see you fall fucking flat. He won 2 in a row, pretty good though.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
This isn't a discussion about how good Shaq was, it's a question of you guys downgrading his legacy for ditching Orlando. Him going to LA and LeBron going to Miami are pretty similar.
Absolutely, the best of the best all won their championships where they started, I understand some had it much better than others as far as talent around them. No matter how good or bad a supporting cast you have doesn't matter no one wins them all and as Pat Riley said you have to take the good with the bad. In 100 years no one will even know who LeBron is but I bet the names Jordan, Magic, and Bird will still be relevant in basketball discussions.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Harris/Ellis/Melo/Dirk/Chandler - how you like that starting 5?

Mavs reacquiring Chandler is a power play to get Melo, they were tight in New York.
Would be great, but not entirely sold on chunky boy Harris at the PG. Still stoked about getting TChan back, was a beast and a fan favorite.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rockets are trading Asik to the Pelicans. Once they move Lin they should have enough cap room to sign LeBron James.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Great deal for New Orleans and obviously a better deal for Houston if they end up snagging LeBron or as a consolation prize, Melo.