NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
GSW vs SA in the Conference Finals. One team's median age is double the other's.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I'm perplexed at Thunder fans freaking out about the possibility of the Thunder matching the Kanter contract.
Trading Harden was already probably the death knell for keeping Durant. Letting Kanter go for nothing, and they are hiring the chauffeur to the airport for KD.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't get that either. The dude averaged 19/11 in OKC and while that comes with some caveats (no Durant, poor defense), it's highly defensible especially with the increasing cap. He's still just over 23, he could learn to play at least competent defense, and it's likely his three point shot will develop more. There's still plenty of promise there. They essentially gave up Reggie Jackson for Kanter so it'd be stupid to let him leave for nothing now.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Mavs pickup Zaza Pachulia from Bucks for 2nd rounder.

Shhhh Mark, it will all be over soon, Shhhh...

Think the Thunder wants to retain KD? Then why are the even fucking around with Kanter. Ideal max player? No. That's your fault for doing one of the worst trades ever.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Zaza is way better than people give him credit for. Not flashy at all but he's always near the top of defensive RPM for centers.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I like Zaza. He's a million steps down from what they thought they were getting, but his value should be waaaay higher than a 2nd round pick.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Guess idea tank is officially out the window, which is understandable with Dirk wanting to finish up. Everyone goes to the Nets and completely blows ass, Deron could get in shape and somewhat re-motivated to play, he could be a decent PG. Dude's only 31. Glad Zaza is better than I was originally looking at, certainly not a rim protector but definitely worth a 2nd rounder.

Cuban better go buy some paintings from Larry Sanders, and while there ask if he'd like to play center. Not sure how this will turn out, but should be entertaining.

Here comes Deron.David Aldridge on Twitter:

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Deron Williams only ever seemed great because he was in Jerry Sloan's system. Nets didn't make him bad...the Jazz made him good. He hasn't been close to the 10 assist/game mark since he undermined Sloan and went to Jersey. Also, he's been a negative defensively his entire career and that's not going to change now. I guess Dallas doesn't really have a PG, so he might be an upgrade still, but I wouldn't get too excited about Williams.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Deron Williams only ever seemed great because he was in Jerry Sloan's system. Nets didn't make him bad...the Jazz made him good. He hasn't been close to the 10 assist/game mark since he undermined Sloan and went to Jersey. Also, he's been a negative defensively his entire career and that's not going to change now. I guess Dallas doesn't really have a PG, so he might be an upgrade still, but I wouldn't get too excited about Williams.
With the track record of good players going to the Nets and not being so good, I think you're certainly stretching there. This is still a guy who has averaged 17ppg, 8.5ast, while shooting 36% from 3 over his career. Certainly not saying this guy will return to superstar status, but at $5mil /yr this is certainly not a bad pickup. Especially considering what the team looked like without him.

The article clearly shows a guy who wanted no part at all of being a major piece to a team. Part 2 is going to be hilarious.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was widely known that Sloan's system made Williams and Boozer appear better than they actually were, but I guess not. He's 16.6/7.5 if you take away the Utah years. I already admitted he might be an upgrade for Dallas, but he isn't suddenly going to be much better than that just because he's not on the Nets. If you're okay with 16 points, 7 assists, and bad defense from a guy that's only been able to stay on the floor for more than 70 games once since 2009/10, then fine. I just don't want to see Dallas fans hurt again so soon by expecting more than that, though.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

57. More than LeBron has ever scored. So that essentially makes him better than LeBron.

I don't think any real basketball fans expect Deron to turn into some world destroyer, but he is certainly more talented than anyone Carlisle has had to work with since being in Dallas. It's an upgrade with upside, with a slight possibility of Rajon Rhonda 2.0.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Dallas is attempting to replicate the Kidd rejuvenation in Dallas. Maybe they hired the Phoenix medical staff with all the money they saved by DeAndre going crazy.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
3 seasons ago Deron played as well as he ever has. I think he's capable of being good still. I have no clue what happened this last season though. The Nets weren't really a team I cared all that much about following.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Dallas is attempting to replicate the Kidd rejuvenation in Dallas. Maybe they hired the Phoenix medical staff with all the money they saved by DeAndre going crazy.
Real talk though it's a little surprising one of the big market teams hasn't tried to throw a ton of money at the trainers here. Or, watch David Griffin try to woo them over to Cleveland.