NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Generally Dallas has one of, if not the most well regarded medical staffs in all of sports thanks to Casey Smith (head trainer for US Men's National Team). Remember reading an article few years back about Suns having a near legendary staff, still the same one today I am guessing.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
3 seasons ago Deron played as well as he ever has. I think he's capable of being good still. I have no clue what happened this last season though. The Nets weren't really a team I cared all that much about following.
Rondo did about as well as he ever has 3 seasons ago as well. They are really in the same boat at this point. He may have a better attitude and work in Carlisle's system better...but he isn't a starting point guard that's going to get you deep in the West. The east is obviously a different story.

Djay

Trakanon Raider

57. More than LeBron has ever scored. So that essentially makes him better than LeBron.

I don't think any real basketball fans expect Deron to turn into some world destroyer, but he is certainly more talented than anyone Carlisle has had to work with since being in Dallas. It's an upgrade with upside, with a slight possibility of Rajon Rhonda 2.0.
Are we posting videos of disappointing players that had great games?

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Have you watched Deron Williams at all in the last two years? I mean even in highlights? The dude who got a max contract doesn't exist anymore. Not even a little.

Sterling

El Presidente
Have you watched Deron Williams at all in the last two years? I mean even in highlights? The dude who got a max contract doesn't exist anymore. Not even a little.
While this is true, he's still an upgrade and they have a shitload of cap space and it's not like they need to sign him for 10 years.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
While I still don't understand them drafting infinite bigs this year, the Okafor pickup at least looks better with Embiid turning into Oden.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Did Deron pee in everyone's cereal? No one is claiming him to be a superstar. Chill.

Bad news for Embiid, really hope we get to see him play eventually.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I can't speak for others: running off a HOF coach, sense of entitlement while accomplishing nothing, but still having the sports media enamored with him for far too long.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sucks. Wanted to see Embiid but the oakfor pick feels a lot better now. Sixers had to draft Embiid last year, I hope it works out for us.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Lebron signs before a Tristan Thompson deal is done (or even apparently that close). I guess he wasn't holding them hostage after all. Common scuttlebutt wrong again.

I personally think the Cavs should play a little hardball and dare him to get an offer from another team. No way he's going to get more than 5/80 and I doubt he'd get that.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Lebron signs before a Tristan Thompson deal is done (or even apparently that close). I guess he wasn't holding them hostage after all. Common scuttlebutt wrong again.

I personally think the Cavs should play a little hardball and dare him to get an offer from another team. No way he's going to get more than 5/80 and I doubt he'd get that.
You're right. I will admit the timing was a bit weird for Lebron to suddenly stop all the bullshit about how he was going to see how free agency played out and not sign until the core of the finals team and his bro Thompson was signed. I guess Lebron has more important things to do, though, since he's got a movie coming out and suddenly, after attention whoring his way through another free agency, doesn't want distracting questions about free agency as he promotes his movie. Bros before hoes, but promos before bros?

Talks have been reported as nearing 5/80 as a ceiling for Thompson, and you're going to bet there's no way he gets more than that! Really brave stuff! Why not take a chance a set a bar somewhere lower than the absolute max anyone has come close to reporting or even speculating. Hrm, I bet Lebron won't get a million more than the allowable max next year when he again opts out!

The main takeaway here is the Cavs are as dysfunctional as ever. Just sign Thompson already, and at whatever price Lebron sets. That way Lebron doesn't have to look like a spoiled child and attention whore and we don't need all the fake drama surrounding the Cavs and Lebron can just focus on his movie in peace without all these dumb questions about basketball. Cavs be dumb, yo.

DickTrickle

Listen, aspie, can you at least try comprehending before shitposting? The point was if talks have stalled between the Cavs and Thompson, they should call his bluff and let him see what he can get fromotherteams -- I clearly did set the bar lower there. Then he can realize that the Cavs are actually giving him more than he's worth and the contract can be wrapped up. Even if he wanted to be stupid and sign the qualifying offer to hit unrestricted free agency, I don't see his value going up unless there's more injuries next year, even if they win a championship.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Here's some basic math. The Cavs offered him a 50 million extension. In negotiations, it seemed Thompson was asking for 80 mil, which is way more than anything thinks he's actually worth on the open market. And you say the Cavs should piss off Lebron, say 'fuck you Thompson go see what kind of offers you get' and you bet, yeah, you're betting he won't get an 80 million offer from other teams?

No shit? Did you figure that one out on your own.

Point out the fucking obvious, act like you're making some grand insight, argue by restating the obvious,then call someone else an aspie. Really fucking smooth! Like qwerty levels of smooth!

I'll say it again: no shit he isn't going to get 80 mil on the open market. That's why he needed Lebron to strong arm the Cavs. That's why it's odd timing Lebron said fuck it and signed. That's why it's odd the deal still isn't done as people assumed a signing was imminent and that was the reason Lebron signed. Kinda awkward when you pretty much flat out say you aren't going to sign until they sign your friend, then you sign, and your friend doesn't even still seem in talks still. And your best solution is the Cavs should call his fucking bluff? It's not his bluff, it's Lebrons. So your great idea is the Cavs should extend their 'fuck you' to Lebron? Why? Why would the Cavs bend over for Lebron and now suddenly demand a reach around and then piss him off just because?

The weird thing is I actually partially agreed with you, didn't attack you personally, didn't call you a dumb fuck or anything, and just responded to what you wrote. Why so sensitive, friend? I know you're lonely and it's just a defense mechanism, but it's ugly and I'm here to talk if you need it....

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Here's some basic math. The Cavs offered him a 50 million extension. In negotiations, it seemed Thompson was asking for 80 mil, which is way more than anything thinks he's actually worth on the open market. And you say the Cavs should piss off Lebron, say 'fuck you Thompson go see what kind of offers you get' and you bet, yeah, you're betting he won't get an 80 million offer from other teams?

No shit? Did you figure that one out on your own.

Point out the fucking obvious, act like you're making some grand insight, argue by restating the obvious,then call someone else an aspie. Really fucking smooth! Like qwerty levels of smooth!

I'll say it again: no shit he isn't going to get 80 mil on the open market. That's why he needed Lebron to strong arm the Cavs. That's why it's odd timing Lebron said fuck it and signed. That's why it's odd the deal still isn't done as people assumed a signing was imminent and that was the reason Lebron signed. Kinda awkward when you pretty much flat out say you aren't going to sign until they sign your friend, then you sign, and your friend doesn't even still seem in talks still. And your best solution is the Cavs should call his fucking bluff? It's not his bluff, it's Lebrons. So your great idea is the Cavs should extend their 'fuck you' to Lebron? Why? Why would the Cavs bend over for Lebron and now suddenly demand a reach around and then piss him off just because?

The weird thing is I actually partially agreed with you, didn't attack you personally, didn't call you a dumb fuck or anything, and just responded to what you wrote. Why so sensitive, friend? I know you're lonely and it's just a defense mechanism, but it's ugly and I'm here to talk if you need it....
Assbergers

DickTrickle

Constantly writes in a super condescending tone laced with sarcasm then acts flabbergasted when he can't have a 100% cordial, focused discussion simply because he didn't say "dumb fuck". I would say "can't explain that" but, yeah, radditsu just did.

In any case, that 50 million extension offer early in the year is largely irrelevant since it seems the Cavs were willing to give him 80 until Draymond Green's 85 made him want more. If that's the case, maybe instead of Lebron being some evil puppetmaster who cares a ton about answering easily handled free agency questions at his movie premiere, he decided that 85+ was unreasonable and decided to let the Cavs handle it without him backing Thompson so that Thompson might be pushed back into a less ridiculous financial atmosphere. It's just speculation either way, but it sounds more plausible than believing he cares more about his movie premiere than his basketball life.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
From someone who actually lives in the hell hole known as Cleveland this is what we've been hearing:

Tristan was offered about $50 million over five years before the deadline last year. He declined knowing his value was likely to go up with a successful playoff run. After the playoffs the Cavs offered him the $80 million for 5 years. It sounds like he wants his max which is around $90 million for 5 years. Both sides are sticking pretty firm and the Cavs are taking the position of "Hey, go check out free agency and see what other teams will offer and we'll just match that and save a few bucks in the process." Other than the Cavs it's doubtful that anyone would give him the $80 million over 5 years that is the current offer on the table. I think a big issue is that Tristan's agent, Rich Paul, is also Lebron's agent. And I think Rich Paul has an inflated sense of worth since he does represent Lebron.

I have no doubt that a deal will be done sooner or later but it's a relief that Lebron did sign again and took that worry off the table.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'll apologize. It's hard not being slightly condescending when a story breaks several weeks ago, and we discuss it for weeks, and it's a boring, dead story, and then posts are made rehashing the exact same information and presenting conclusions as if they're brand new insights.

For instance:

From someone who actually lives in the hell hole known as Cleveland this is what we've been hearing:
Yarp. We've all been hearing the same thing. In fact, a day before the newspapers published it even.

Tristan was offered about $50 million over five years before the deadline last year. He declined knowing his value was likely to go up with a successful playoff run. After the playoffs the Cavs offered him the $80 million for 5 years. It sounds like he wants his max which is around $90 million for 5 years. Both sides are sticking pretty firm and the Cavs are taking the position of "Hey, go check out free agency and see what other teams will offer and we'll just match that and save a few bucks in the process." Other than the Cavs it's doubtful that anyone would give him the $80 million over 5 years that is the current offer on the table.
I think a big issue is that Tristan's agent, Rich Paul, is also Lebron's agent.
Woah, wait, I take it back, this is new information! It all makes sense now!

And I think Rich Paul has an inflated sense of worth since he does represent Lebron.
Hah, when I say shit like this you and your buddy Dick flip out and call me names. You guys so cwazy!

I have no doubt that a deal will be done sooner or later but it's a relief that Lebron did sign again and took that worry off the table.
And then, something like this... Is it really a relief that Lebron signed and took that worry off the table? Were you really worried? Why? Was he actually testing free agency? Why would he wait so long to sign knowing it would leave Cavs fans so darned worried?

Oh, what, he was just opting out and waiting to sign to make the Cavs and their fans sweat it out and to try to get his buddy Tristan more money than anyone but Lebron and his agent thinks he's worth? Well, that's not very nice. And no wonder the agent has an inflated ego!

Golly, this has all been so enlightening, but for fuck sake can we stop talking about Lebron and the fucking Cavs already?

DickTrickle

The new event that wasn't present weeks ago is that it didn't take a Tristan deal for Lebron to sign, which was a previously held assumption by many. So, it's not really rehashing because something other than what was expected happened.

popsicledeath_sl said:
Talks between the Cavs and Tristan Thompson have stalled since Thompson is reportedly asking for like 5-8 mil a more than the Cavs feel his contemporaries are getting, and apparentlyLebron is refusing to speak to the team until they agree to Thompson's termsbecause they share the same agent. What are the chances of contract talks with Thompson going sour? What is Lebron going to actually do? Seems like kind of an awkward situation, and isn't that some kind of collusion or against some kind of rules or something? People were talking about it being borderline when Lebron and two all-star friends all agreed to go to the same team.Now he's flat out making it clear he won't re-sign until they over-pay his friend and agent's fellow client?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, gotcha, and you think the Cavs should piss off Lebron and his agent (who gives a shit about Thompson) and tell them all to get fucked now that Lebron is signed. Which, phew, there was so much worry he wasn't going to sign. It's as almost as if he was going to sign all along and was just being an attention whore and fucking with the Cavs just to prove he's still and always will be in charge and can do whatever the fuck he wants and that they better do what he says.

Moving on.