NBA 2015 Off-Season Thread

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I was really high on Winslow until his measurements came in. 6'4'' without shoes. Some guys can overcome that but I really saw him as a do everything 3 with length but he's way undersized. I definitely don't pass on him at 10 or anything, but size definitely matters in the NBA.

Couldn't be any happier with how the night went for the Wolves. Towns/Wiggins/Rubio is a solid core and I think at worst Tyus is a decent backup in the NBA. Maybe he can be enough of a floor general and a good enough shooter to make up for the lack of athleticism and be something more than that, but I definitely like him either way.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Definitely a chance of that. He's still seeing doctors so who knows. It could be a blessing in disguise. After watching some of his highlights last night I'm at least looking forward to seeing how he does. He looks like a double double machine.
Embiid plays with a smoothness that's rare in pure centers, it's almost Olajuwon-esque at times. Really hope he gets healthy, he was awesome to watch at Kansas.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hinkie addressed it yesterday. It's really bizarre how he explained it. Basically he has no pain, has been pain free for months and working out on it. The test they did just looked different than the others so they are trying to find out why.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Couldn't be any happier with how the night went for the Wolves. Towns/Wiggins/Rubio is a solid core and I think at worst Tyus is a decent backup in the NBA. Maybe he can be enough of a floor general and a good enough shooter to make up for the lack of athleticism and be something more than that, but I definitely like him either way.
So you still wish they'd kept Love and just let him expire?
smile.png
How is Lavine not part of the core?

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I think Love will return. Towards the end of the season (and especially the first round of the playoffs) he was finally finding his identity on the team and making contributions. When he came back to watch from the sidelines, Cleveland really let him know that they appreciated him and it showed on his face that it made him feel welcome.

Besides, where is he going to go? Any time that can afford him won't be contending for a title for a couple of seasons. If all he cares about is winning, Cleveland is his team. If all he wants is money, Cleveland is still his team. If he wants to pad his stats all he has to do is look towards a team like the Knicks and Melo and see where that's gotten them.

I say he stays with Cleveland one more year. After that he might very well bolt but I'm feeling 8 out of 10 that he stays for another season. But the whole "Will Love stay or leave?" makes for extremely good drama and good click-bait so that's why we're getting swamped with these headlines.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
So you still wish they'd kept Love and just let him expire?
smile.png
How is Lavine not part of the core?
I'm pretty vocal about my dislike of Flip but he handled the Love situation as best as possible. So credit to him for that one. I still think it's asking a lot of a 26 year old to turn down that 5th year of a max contract and I do think Love is much better than how he played. But I'll eat crow here overall. We're in a better spot now.

LaVine isn't part of the core because he is god awful at basketball. Maybe he turns into something in a few years, but it's too far down the line. Right now he's still just all potential.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My best guess is Love leaves for a team that isn't so passive-aggressive and dysfunctional as Cleveland, where he can not only put up stats, but be the star, and have a great chance at winning, and when he does Angelwatch will spin it like Love was a bitch anyhow and had no loyalty and Lebron was completely welcoming and the Cavs are better off without him.

Kobe is tough on guys, but direct and I would say fair. He has high expectations and if you fuck up he'll call you on it. If you play hard and help Kobe win, though, he's going to at least be respectful and try to get the best out of you, not conspicuously leave you out of pics on instagram and make passive-aggressive comments about you on twitter. I'm not saying Lebron would, just that's not Kobe's style. Just like Kobe would walk into management and tell them what they need to do to fix the team, not opt out and then make pussy comments like he's going to take a wait and see approach. Man up, Lebron, you pussy.... I mean, if Lebron did that kind of thing, of course, not saying he did or would!

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
I was actually happy that the Knicks went and took Porzingis. 7'1 big men without shoes that can shoot sure as hell do not grow on trees. His wingspan is 7'6 and he has the perfect attitude for NY (listen to his interviews). They asked him what's his favorite part about being drafted and he said that in NY they have Gyms that are open 24 hours a day unlike back at home and in Spain. Knicks are not in position to win now anyway and needed to swing for the fences. With a proper diet and weight lifting routine he can easily gain weight.

The trading shitty horrible Tim Hardaway Jr for the 19th pick to select Jerian Grant was a steal. THJR sucks nuts, can't play a lick of defense and his jumper is spotty as all hell. Grant is a do it all PG with great size (6'5), he played very well this season against Kentucky and Duke. Nice move.

Hopefully the Knicks can sign one of Aldridge, Gasol or Deandre Jordan but I doubt they will land one of them. A more realistic offseason would be signing Danny Green to play the 2, Robin Lopez at C and maybe David West (he would be big for the locker room but is on the older side). Would not mind Greg Monroe either but you would really need a defensive big to go along with him and Melo. If they sign Monroe and bring in a defensive big like Asik or Lopez then they will still have a huge hole at SG. SG position in pretty strong in this FA crop

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
My best guess is Love leaves for a team that isn't so passive-aggressive and dysfunctional as Cleveland, where he can not only put up stats, but be the star, and have a great chance at winning
And which team can actually offer that? The Cavs and... A D-League team? A European team?

I'm sorry Lebron touched you in a no-no spot but you're head is up your ass.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I agree with Popsicle when it comes to the passive aggressiveness of the Cavs. Kobe is a massive dick, but he will say what needs to be said directly to you. Some of the tweets about Love (from LeBron and other Cavs) earlier in the year were kinda childish. That being said, I do think he will return to the Cavs on a one year deal, make a run for the ring and then dip out when the salary cap explodes. But LA will be tempting for him.

DeAndre Jordan - Los Angeles Clippers - 2015 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The Mavericks are "widely considered the likeliest team" to persuade DeAndre Jordan to leave the Clippers in free agency, sources told ESPN Dallas.

Obviously I am biased towards this, but with the rift between Paul & him, the reports during the playoffs specifically detailing Dallas, and the fact apparently him and Parsons are best friends and have been partying in LA all week give some credence that there is some hope there.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it'd be nice. He's not a perfect player, but we have a shit ton of money and a prime defensive/rebounding center is a good anchor.

Suns To Re-sign Brandon Knight | Hoops Rumors
Looks like maybe the end for Bledsoe? Knicks were in earlier in the season, wonder if a Porzingis trade for Bledsoe would entice the Suns enough just because how loaded they are at guard.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think it will be interesting to see how contract deals go down with Cleveland. I can see them overpaying someone like Thompson based on the idea that with Lebron, Love, and Irving maxed out they wouldn't be able to sign a free agent better than Thompson (but they can overpay for him). But, if Love goes, then they're still in a position to not get decent free agents and are stuck with an overpaid Thompson without Love.

Edit, related:Love and Lebron hanging out

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
And which team can actually offer that? The Cavs and... A D-League team? A European team?

I'm sorry Lebron touched you in a no-no spot but you're head is up your ass.
First, you're acting like no other NBA team ever has a chance of winning a championship, despite the fact the last two champions were not the Cavs, nor Lebron, and in fact he lost to both of them. Now, granted, Warriors don't have the room, and Spurs don't seem to WANT Love (ouch?!). But anyone, especially in the NBA, even Lebron, will admit nothing is given and despite the odds and expectations nobody is a lock to win shit.

It's often been a knock against Love that he was just a stat hound who liked the attention of being a star. He could get far more of that from a different team. Yeah, he's said his goal is to win. Everyone says that. Even idiots like T-Mac and Melo who very clearly didn't have that insatiable need to win were smart enough to SAY that. Has Love actually done much of anything yet to prove that's actually in his makeup? I mean, didn't he already re-up with the T-Wolves once? Was it because they looked to be a sure thing? My feeling is Love wanted out, had an opportunity to do that with the Cavs when not many other opportunities were knocking, took it, thought maybe he'd get a championship in the meantime which only helps his stock, and shit went bad so I don't think it's a given he'll stay with the Cavs. Especially after being marginalized most of the season, and then getting hurt and having people say the Cavs were better off without him and that Lebron's friend Tristan who has the same agent was the better, cheaper option compared to Love. I

Couldn't he get stats, fame, money, and even winning with another franchise? Isn't it possible? Because he's not gotten many stats or recognition in Cleveland so far, that's for sure. And I don't think Love cares that much about winning he's willing to give all the rest of it up and basically become a glorified role-player who will never get much credit the way Bosh did.

So, yeah you can dismiss anyone who has anything to say about Love under the assumption they just hate Lebron, but that's a pretty awkward argument to make.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The bench would have been fine had love and Irvin stayed healthy. If they manage to just keep the team together, they are fine. As much as it sucks losing in the finals, it gave them the opportunity to analyze the strength and weaknesses of the thier roster. They will be that much better creating and solving matchup issues next year. Especially on defense.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
My guess: Love and Bron both sign 2 year deals (2nd year player option) this offseason with Cleveland then we relive this not actual drama shit show again next offseason.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
There's no reason for Lebron to sign a multiyear deal. He's intentionally doing 1 year deals so they can sign free agents and then bird right him and go over the cap. Also he retains his pseudo-GM status with an opt out every year.