NBA 2015 Playoffs Thread

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Being named to the top 50 players of all time when he only had 4 years in the league is far from being "drastically underrated".

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Being named to the top 50 players of all time when he only had 4 years in the league is far from being "drastically underrated".
Lakers fan overrate Kobe but I feel like most people know Shaq was the anchor of those first three championships. What people may not know is just how historic that 2000-01 season was, but even then I feel like he's almost universally regarded as the dominant big man for that time period.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I don't think anyone underrates Shaq. He was easily the most dominant player in the post-Jordan era. I just wish he didn't become a fat shit.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Shaq didn't do it consistently...that's why he isn't up there with Michael, Larry, Magic, and LeBron. He took games off...he took seasons off. Also, he tore threw the league at a time where the 2nd best center was Dalembert...Robinson and Hakeem used to destroy Shaq.

I do agree that 2001 Shaq was one of the best seasons of all-time, but that season alone doesn't put him in the upper echelon. The other stuff is the difference between him being a Top 50 player and being in the conversation with Russell/Wilt/Hakeem as the best big men ever.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
I'm fucking livid about this Kevin Love shit. I don't think it was intentional per say, but Olynyk knew he was beat and his natural reaction was to try and strong arm Love -- a bush league move. And then fucking JR was his dumb ass move right in front of a ref, wtf. Fucking shit fuck fuck!!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Shaq didn't do it consistently...that's why he isn't up there with Michael, Larry, Magic, and LeBron. He took games off...he took seasons off. Also, he tore threw the league at a time where the 2nd best center was Dalembert...Robinson and Hakeem used to destroy Shaq.

I do agree that 2001 Shaq was one of the best seasons of all-time, but that season alone doesn't put him in the upper echelon. The other stuff is the difference between him being a Top 50 player and being in the conversation with Russell/Wilt/Hakeem as the best big men ever.
This is the sad reality of Shaq's career. He had a 3 year stretch there where he was just incredible capped by that 01 season. Then he stopped caring about his body and coasted. Even that version of Shaq, all the way up until he retired, was a productive player. Just never the decade of dominance we probably should have seen from him.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
A Shaq that shot 70% from the line would have been the greatest player of all time.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm fucking livid about this Kevin Love shit. I don't think it was intentional per say, but Olynyk knew he was beat and his natural reaction was to try and strong arm Love -- a bush league move. And then fucking JR was his dumb ass move right in front of a ref, wtf. Fucking shit fuck fuck!!
Hah, almost tricked me into a long reply! The horse is deader than Kevin Love's limp arm at this point.

One thing we can all lament about this incident is how many people have now added 'bush league' to their vocabulary to explain anything and everything they don't personally agree with. Holy shit it's everywhere!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Eh, I dunno. It's not a leg or hand injury, which is what seems to scare teams (more scared for Durant than Love at this point). It's not his shooting arm. It's an injury that is recoverable, by all accounts. Plenty of teams willing to throw shit-tons of money at players, injured or shitty, you name it. You don't think the Lakers would still offer him a max contract? Look at the Nets' roster, there are plenty of opportunities for a player like Love, who is actually good, to still get a max deal despite this type of injury.

I never really thought he deserved a max deal, but that's a different discussion.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
This offseason's max is smaller than the max going forward. But he would be getting it in a heartbeat by multiple teams even if that wasn't the case.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
CP3 ready for a quick elimination once again. I don't think you can blame this one on him though, which has pretty much always been the case. That Clippers bench is awful.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CP3 ready for a quick elimination once again. I don't think you can blame this one on him though, which has pretty much always been the case. That Clippers bench is awful.
Quite the legacy. He needs to push hard for Durant in a year so he can have a closer on his team. If kept the Clippers together and added Durant plus some playable bench players, pretty dominate.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Quite the legacy. He needs to push hard for Durant in a year so he can have a closer on his team. If kept the Clippers together and added Durant plus some playable bench players, pretty dominate.
I know we get into this argument a lot. You can blame CP3 for hitting the Spurs this first round. You also can't blame him for Deandre making a boneheaded play that would have given them the lead with 4 seconds left. You can't blame him for the atrocious bench the Clippers front office has put together.

But you have a point. He's been on 7 playoff teams with little success. I have a hard time placing much blame on a guy putting up 21/10/5 shooting 48% in those games, but I do hope he eventually has a squad that makes some noise as he deserves that recognition.

He is kind of a little bitch and I don't blame anyone for disliking him. I'm just always amazed at how smooth his team always looks offensively and when he looks to score it's always so crafty and effortless.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I need to stop checking Facebook on nights the Spurs are playing...I usually watch games on a delay off my DVR and this was the 2nd game this series someone posted the result before I was through the first quarter.

This isn't tennis, golf, or bowling...you can't define a player in a team game by their championship success. It's even dumber when people do it in the NFL, but even in the NBA it doesn't make much sense when you have 7-9 other guys that need to have your back. If the Clippers were in the East, they'd almost certainly go to the Finals...does that suddenly change how good the players on that team are? It's pretty much the same discussion we just had about Allen Iverson.

Championship or not, Chris Paul is one of the best 5 point guards to ever play this game.