NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

Sterling

El Presidente
Spurs absolutely could compete. Their defense gives the Warriors problems. They just need to get younger. Teams like the Spurs aren't just going to wait out the Warriors run. They're going to make some moves.
Yeah, it's like people forget what was happening in Game 1 on the road without Parker when Kawhi got hurt. I have faith that The Spurs front office will continue to draft well and make appropriate moves.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Best case scenario with Kawhi is the Spurs would have taken GSW to 5 games.

If you want to say with CP3 or something they could compete, the sure. But not how they're currently constructed

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Rumors of the Thunder going after Blake Griffin. And it seems like most of the mock drafts have the Thunder picking up either a 4 or a 5.
Presti is far too infatuated with bigs for today's NBA. It hurts, boys.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Rumors of the Thunder going after Blake Griffin. And it seems like most of the mock drafts have the Thunder picking up either a 4 or a 5.
Presti is far too infatuated with bigs for today's NBA. It hurts, boys.
I have heard that about Blake and OKC before, it makes sense considering he is from and went to Oklahoma for college. I think he could play well with Rus, but it would probably depend on Rus signing a long term deal.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Celtics trading #1 to Philly, stupid move, Fultz is the next D Wade imo. Philly also in the same fucking division, good luck with that team in a few years.

Also,

b30jvIK.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Love the deal as a Sixers fan. #3 this year and either the Lakers 2018 or Kings 2019? I honestly thought it was going to be both of those picks when I heard they were in talks, and I probably would have been fine with it. A core of Fultz, Simmons, Saric, and Embiid is pretty damn exciting.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Fultz is so good his team won 2 PAC-12 games and 9 games overall. Please someone tell me the last number 1 pick to carry his team to such highs. Kids gonna suck.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Fultz is so good his team won 2 PAC-12 games and 9 games overall. Please someone tell me the last number 1 pick to carry his team to such highs. Kids gonna suck.
As an Alumnus I can honestly say that is just UDUB Basketball. Even Jordan in his NC years couldn't lead the Huskies to a successful season. They don't make movies like The 6th Man about good Basketball Programs.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I also think he won't be that great. The kid just strikes me as lazy. In a sport where one guy can carry a team, they should have won more than nine games no matter the supporting cast. Something is off there. Smooth game though.

I wanted either Johnathan Isaac or Josh Jackson from the beginning. I prefer Isaac, reminds me of Garnett. Jackson I would gladly accept because the kid is straight up athletic with skills. AND he plays defense.

Sixers, in five years, will be crazy if these guys pan out. Has there ever been a team with 2 number 1 picks starting rookie/sophomore years?

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
As an Alumnus I can honestly say that is just UDUB Basketball. Even Jordan in his NC years couldn't lead the Huskies to a successful season. They don't make movies like The 6th Man about good Basketball Programs.

No it isn't. In Lorenzo Romar's tenure the past 15 years they've ranged from average to very good with multiple Sweet 16 appearances. This was the worst record they've ever had under him, and the only significantly sub-.500 season since his first as coach.

I watched a fair bit of them this year trying to see this Fultz hype. He's a super skilled player that put up numbers in games where his team was almost always trailing by double digits it seemed. The problem is he didn't seem to care. I would see people comparing him to CP3 or Wade and I don't see that at all when the biggest factor that makes those guys what they are is their competitive nature. Would have killed them to play on a team like that. They would have demanded more of their teammates.

It could just be that Fultz thought he was literally too cool for school and that's why he chose UDub in the first place to just run through the motions until the draft. Maybe we'll see a different player in the NBA, but I wouldn't bet on it. Competitive spirit is not something one can usually turn on and off. Guys that have that killer instinct usually cannot turn it off, and that's what makes them as good as they are. I'd say Danny Ainge has decided he won't bet on it either. You don't punt the #1 pick if you really think it's going to turn into some DWade / CP3 hybrid.

I hope I'm wrong cause it'd be cool to see Philly take off, gonna be a fascinating team to watch the next couple years.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Romar Teams consistently under-performed when they had talent and when they did not have talent they looked like a D3 School. Romar was great at recruiting but was terrible as far as on court execution, you would seldom see any improvement in a team from the beginning of the season to the end, his teams were stagnant at best. The reason he kept his job so long is because he had zero scandals while he was at the helm and because EVERYONE likes him, he is really "GOOD GUY!" Well personalities don't win titles.

Fultz chose UW because of Romar and UW lost the top recruit (Michael Porter Jr) this coming year to MIZZOU because they fired Romar (and Asst. Coach Michael Porter Sr). The loss of Porter stings but getting another one and done was not worth being below average for X amount of years that another Romar extension would be. UW has too many resources and has too much to offer to continually be a team that loses in the NIT.

Lastly, to be fair to Fultz he was injured quite a bit this year and when he committed to UW he thought Murray & Chriss were sticking around.

Last edited:

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Do you guys also think Simmons is a bust due to LSU's lack of success?

The trade makes sense for both sides. If I'm the Celtics, I'm not sure I do it simply because of IT and Avery Bradley's contract situation. I'm also not sure a team where you have to have IT on the floor all the time will ever be able to go all the way. I'm also pretty high on Fultz, but if they're wanting to stick with IT it makes sense from their perspective I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like the Lakers are in talks to trade for Paul George also. I am guessing they don't want to take the chance some other team trades for him, and he ends up happy there and signing long term.

I am a bit surprised by that trade though. I thought they were pretty high on Russell, and wanted to give him some time to grow. I suppose that pretty much confirms they are taking Ball?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it has to be a confirmation on Ball, who I really think they were having some doubts on for a bit. Lopez is a solid piece, and it makes them a little more competitive immediately.

I know they are holding tight on Ingram, but I would move Ingram and another piece if I had to for George. You don't wanna take a chance he ends up in Cleveland and actually likes it enough to re-up. Don't give up the #2 pick, because he has made it known he wants to be there, but don't get too greedy.