NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kareem Abdul-Jabaar. Bucks 1971 Champions. And then, of course, Show Time.
Wilt Chamberlain. Sixers and Lakers.
I was referring to the superstars during the era I had outlined silly goose. But yes, they also did it.

Chanur Chanur you're really good at deflecting. Bravo.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I was referring to the superstars during the era I had outlined silly goose. But yes, they also did it.

Chanur Chanur you're really good at deflecting. Bravo.

My apologies then.

There were many more, but I tried to limit my list to "super stars" as was stated. I just missed the whole "current era" part.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
He moves because Cleveland is fucking dysfunctional. See firing Griffin, the Altman bullshit, the Kyrie fiasco, etc. Also, prior to the championship, Gilbert refused to surround LeBron with talent. He literally had no choice. He played 7 years there, never demanded a trade.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Except that's not really true, as most teams who have won a chip over the last 30 years went on to win multiple titles. Even if we ignore the 80s Celtics/Lakers/Pistons dominance, you get Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers, Heat, Warriors. The only non-dynastic teams (one-and-done let's say) were the 04 Pistons, 06 Heat, 08 Celtics, and 11 Mavericks, with the Heat and Celtics both having major superstars join an already established superstar to win a title. So if anything, it's easier to win multiple championships with the same core team than to move from one team and win again, wouldn't you say? The only other superstar that immediately comes to mind is Shaq winning with the Heat in 06, but I could be wrong here.

And you're completely missing the point regarding Kobe. But that's fine.

I think he just worded it wrong, but it's clearly more difficult to build multiple championship rosters with one team than to just jump ship every time your team starts to decline.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My apologies then.

There were many more, but I tried to limit my list to "super stars" as was stated. I just missed the whole "current era" part.
I state superstars because they're less likely to move. I don't really care Steve Kerr won in San Antonio or the fact that Robert Horry has 485 rings. I would agree as a role player it's definitely advantageous to move to a blossoming team, much like when Ray left the Celtics and became a role player for the Heat.

Ambiturner Ambiturner I think I'd even contest that if we're being honest. I think it's easier to surround a core of championship guys with role players and keep chugging along. The problem is when your stars or co-stars begin to decline. I could be wrong though, I am a Giants fan after all.

Sterling

El Presidente
it feels like people are talking about 2 different things. It's easier to keep winning with the same core while tinkering with role players. But it's easier to move if your team is on the decline already. These are different situations.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Let's talk about the draft, that's more exciting than actual basketball.

Not sure how serious these reports are, but numerous outlets echoing something along the lines of "Hawks/Grizzlies looking to move down in draft to grab an asset and justify taking a wing" (Miles or Mikal Bridges etc). I could see this with the Grizzlies: Hope Conley & Gasol are good to go, get a more ready now wing. What good do project prospects really do you a la Jackson & Bamba etc for a team that wants to try to win now for a couple of more years?

Definitely seems like teams were really all in on Ayton or Doncic, that they're the clear elite-shelf prospects. Seems like potential for a decent amount of movement. Still appears to be an absolutely loaded draft. As for my Mavs still hoping something along the lines of: Does one of Doncic or Bagley fall to 5? Yes? Draft them. No? Does Porter Jr. check out medically? If yes, draft, if no take Jaren Jackson if available, or move down a few spots for a pick and a wing.

• 1Like

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I think he just worded it wrong, but it's clearly more difficult to build multiple championship rosters with one team than to just jump ship every time your team starts to decline.

Facts or are you just going to keep saying it without any kind of evidence?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't think its easier or harder. You just need the right core long enough(usually 3-4 years). James is unfortunate because the Warrs have a once in a lifetime group of players but normally you need the right 3. You can go mercenary like James or hope the FO gets the right mix. I don't mind James ensuring he got his rings...just like I don't blame Durant for his. The easier aspect today is that the players themselves hold every advantage. People like MJ and the admiral had to hope the FO got it right during the short space they had to win it all.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Lebron thinks it is easier. That is why he is going to move again this year.

I agree though that its unfortunate for LeBron that the Warriors came along with a probably historically good team.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Curious where we would set the bar on this, the idea of a franchise building multiple championship rosters. Are we assuming complete roster turnover? 3 out of 5 starters? Retention of single main star? Where would we draw the line? Kobe's Lakers seem an obvious starting point, in that you could say they won 3 with one roster, and built another that was able to win 2 more.

But what is the criteria. I agree it's hard to build up multiple championship rosters in a short time frame (say 10-15 years?).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Let's talk about the draft, that's more exciting than actual basketball.

Not sure how serious these reports are, but numerous outlets echoing something along the lines of "Hawks/Grizzlies looking to move down in draft to grab an asset and justify taking a wing" (Miles or Mikal Bridges etc). I could see this with the Grizzlies: Hope Conley & Gasol are good to go, get a more ready now wing. What good do project prospects really do you a la Jackson & Bamba etc for a team that wants to try to win now for a couple of more years?

Definitely seems like teams were really all in on Ayton or Doncic, that they're the clear elite-shelf prospects. Seems like potential for a decent amount of movement. Still appears to be an absolutely loaded draft. As for my Mavs still hoping something along the lines of: Does one of Doncic or Bagley fall to 5? Yes? Draft them. No? Does Porter Jr. check out medically? If yes, draft, if no take Jaren Jackson if available, or move down a few spots for a pick and a wing.

I'd still bet on both Porter and Bagley being better NBA players than Doncic.

It's not going to happen, but if I were the Suns I'd take a long look at Bagley for the #1 slot. He's the most sure thing in the draft imo, will potentially be the ideal crunch time 5 in the modern game when he fills out in a couple years, and big C's just don't affect the game like they used to. Ayton is definitely the #1 pick 10 years ago or more. Today, its a tough choice between him and Bagley for me. And I watched quite a bit of Ayton at Arizona, offensively and physically (not on D) reminds me of the Admiral, but I think there's a chance Bagley looks better as a pro than he did at Duke. And he looked really great at Duke. A starting 3/4 of Bagley + Josh Jackson should be intriguing to the Suns since both guys have great motors, and potentially great for today's game defensively where you need a lot of mobile guys that can handle perimeter switches. Ayton played at Arizona, Bagley is from Arizona. Everybody seems to think Ayton is a done deal, but if the Suns do their due diligence on it they might come to a different conclusion.

It'll be an interesting draft. Especially curious to see how far Porter falls or whether some team in the top 3 decides his back isn't enough of a risk to justify passing on such a talent.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Haven't posted in this thread all year, Gaige truly makes it unreadable.

Also, Joel Embiid talks like a faggit.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 5 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
LeBron beat a Warriors team that won 73 games, was decimating opponents in the playoffs, and was down 3-1.

While wearing a CAVALIERS jersey.

I'm sorry but the guy can just hang his hat on that for the rest of his life nevermind his playing career.

It doesn't matter if he ever wins a title again, that championship was so epic it literally transcends all bullshit, debate, arguments, comparisons, and expectations.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
LeBron beat a Warriors team that won 73 games, was decimating opponents in the playoffs, and was down 3-1.

While wearing a CAVALIERS jersey.

I'm sorry but the guy can just hang his hat on that for the rest of his life nevermind his playing career.

It doesn't matter if he ever wins a title again, that championship was so epic it literally transcends all bullshit, debate, arguments, comparisons, and expectations.

I'd say you are a bit retarded but I've seen your posts in the NFL thread and already know it. Just to get this out of the way first. The jersey you wear...doesn't affect wins. We've seen in the past decade...Red Sox win it all, Cubs win it all, Cavs win it all. If you want to talk long droughts... talk to the Kings, Suns, or Hawks. Maybe the Lions or Cards in football. Definitely the Indians. Cavs were no where close in that discussion of snake bit, desperate teams. Next...

Thankfully, James didn't just hang his hat or we'd miss maybe another decade of brilliance. He didn't think that one was enough either...or the two previous. So why would we? You don't get to be GOAT from one season. That's....whew boy. What can I say? The current Warriors team is better for one. Four superstars always trumps three. Two, one championship(or even three) is hard to hang your hat on when one guy has over 10. Or one guy never lost, etc, etc, etc. You can put him in the discussion but your statement tops the cake in not only this thread...but competes for the whole site. Now, that's EPIC!

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
"Maybe Lions or Cards in football"

Uhhh...Browns? Cleveland sports are brutal.

• 1Like