NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Louis

Trakanon Raider
The Rockets live and die by the 3 though. They shoot it if they are up and shoot it when behind. If it falls they win if it doesn't they lose.

That's the problem with that style of basketball. Maximize possessions, spread the floor, find a good look for a 3. If it's going in it looks GREAT.

When guys are going 2 for 9 from 3, it looks awful and that team usually gets blown out.

In comparison to a team like the Celtics that depend on multiple sources of offensive production, and the 3 point shot is just a luxury. Not saying Boston is better than Houston, but if the Rockets aren't on target from deep they really don't have any other way to create offense, besides Capela inside on a lob off a roll or something very rigid.

The Warriors are a long ball oriented team as well but they have Durant, Draymond, and a bunch of other bench players who can score in a pinch (Livingston did Harden DIRTY off the dribble and finished at the rim....).

Yeah, I kind of meant to add in there that the rockets are one of, if not the only, teams that can come close to keeping stride when games go into that flow.

And that Livingston move was nastyyyy. Hardens a known shit ass defender to begin with, but i dont think most would been able to d that much better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
increasing the Spurs boring level The Spurs Are Getting Rid Of Their Dance Team In Favor Of Something Very Stupid

Spurs Sports & Entertainment will be introducing a 35-member coed Spurs hype team at the beginning of the 2018-19 season that will elevate the game day experience and energize crowds with a diverse array of unique family-friendly talents, including tumbling, acrobatics, dance and stunts. As ambassadors of the Spurs brand, hype team members will participate in a variety of community events and public appearances as well as perform at home games. The name of the team will be announced at a later date.

“We are excited to announce our new Spurs hype team,” said Spurs Sports & Entertainment Vice President Tammy Turner. “This team will further enhance the game-night experience for Spurs fans at the AT&T Center.”

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone really think someone can beat the Warriors 4 out of 7 now that they have Durant?

No. And that's why there is no point in watching playoff basketball, if we are being honest (unless you have a team in the running who has really young players, maybe there is something to hold on to there). Durant's decisions really put the nail in the coffin for me.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users
I am pretty sure that I have not a single local sports radio host here say the Cavs, if they make it past Boston, have a chance against GSW. The talk is, if they win 2, it will be impressive. And no one is calling in accusing them of being negative. It is just realistic. Still sad though, and a sign of a flaw in the league.

I say, every 4 weeks during the regular season, every team has to roll a d6 dice, and teams that hit the same number have to trade players based on their ranking as a scorer, the ranki to be traded based on subsequent roll of a d10 dice.

So if GSW and the Cavs each rolled a 5, they have to trade a player based on a single roll of a d10. Oooo, too bad! the d10 came up 2! Enjoy Kevin Love, GSW.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Warriors signed two key FAs - and one of those (Iguodala) was like five years ago. That's it. They drafted almost all of their players and built the team around them. They got lucky that Durant was available while Curry was on his high-risk high-reward contract. And Green was on a contract pre-cap explosion. Blame the cap explosion. It's the only reason the Warriors could afford to land Durant.

I bet people would still be bitching if the Warriors didn't even land Durant.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The GSW whining is just butt hurt. If it wasn't the Warriors every year it would be the Cavs. That's not any better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Warriors signed two key FAs - and one of those (Iguodala) was like five years ago. That's it. They drafted almost all of their players and built the team around them. They got lucky that Durant was available while Curry was on his high-risk high-reward contract. And Green was on a contract pre-cap explosion. Blame the cap explosion. It's the only reason the Warriors could afford to land Durant.

I don't fault GS one bit in the whole situation. Like you said, it's not like they went out and made a bunch of crazy signings outside of Durant. Golden State is still a finals contender without him. They just hit gold twice with Curry and Klay. If it was my team I'd be completely shameless.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Even though both teams might make the finals yet again, it at least feels like it isn't just a total formality this year. I don't blame the teams either way. I just question whether or not the NBA is fucking dumb (although this year's Jazz made me more optimistic).

• 2Like

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Cavs finally showing some life. If only KLove could actually put together some consistency. Regardless of how this year goes he's gotta go too.

• 1Like
I get the impression that, atheltic ability aside, Kevin Love is kind of... slow.

Edit: Maybe he exists, not to necessarily play well, but to teach us all some life lessons about the importance of teamwork and always trying your best even if you are not as good as the other kids? It's possible we are missing the point. Ah well, life goes on.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Absolutely not blaming GSW on any level, and if I was a fan I'd be ecstatic. Golden State did a beautiful job of putting that team together, a near masterpiece of drafting (guess adding Durant makes it a hands down overall masterpiece). It's not really "Golden State hate, or blame, it's more on Durant for me. Such a massive cop out. So it's "Durant" hate on my end, and many others. It just dilutes the product.

Appears to be only two ways to battle that: Salary cap/team structure restrictions (no idea what, it'd take some serious gymnastics) or other teams have to start leaving their original teams to head to the best spot to build their own 4-star mega-power team.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Absolutely not blaming GSW on any level, and if I was a fan I'd be ecstatic. Golden State did a beautiful job of putting that team together, a near masterpiece of drafting (guess adding Durant makes it a hands down overall masterpiece). It's not really "Golden State hate, or blame, it's more on Durant for me. Such a massive cop out. So it's "Durant" hate on my end, and many others. It just dilutes the product.

Appears to be only two ways to battle that: Salary cap/team structure restrictions (no idea what, it'd take some serious gymnastics) or other teams have to start leaving their original teams to head to the best spot to build their own 4-star mega-power team.

I don't blame Durant or any player. I blame the league. The Celtics started this, then James pushed his dynasty, and the league just kept on helping out. Let's add to the pool! Let's allow teams like Cleveland to go above the max and just fine their owner! Let's allow the players to dictate terms! Their greed is going to be their undoing. The players are trying to win and make bank at the same time. So would I. They don't give a shit about the fans but the league should. Durant chose an option to make a killing and get his rings. So did Lebron and so would anyone. The league is to blame for the most boring set of 4 seasons I've ever seen. I hope the GSW fuck them hard for the next 10 years.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't blame Durant or any player. I blame the league. The Celtics started this, then James pushed his dynasty, and the league just kept on helping out. Let's add to the pool! Let's allow teams like Cleveland to go above the max and just fine their owner! Let's allow the players to dictate terms! Their greed is going to be their undoing. The players are trying to win and make bank at the same time. So would I. They don't give a shit about the fans but the league should. Durant chose an option to make a killing and get his rings. So did Lebron and so would anyone. The league is to blame for the most boring set of 4 seasons I've ever seen. I hope the GSW fucks them hard for the next 10 years.

I wouldn't say the Celtics started it. They were bottom barrel team that made 2 bold trades for guys that hadn't gotten other teams over the hump, both bottom dwellers the year before. They gave up a lot of assets in those trades, gambling they could make it work. It wasn't anything at all like the wait until free agency moves later guys made.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I mean of course I'm salty because the Dubs effectively stole most of LeBron's championship window lol. He's gonna end up 3 and 11 or something stupid.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say the Celtics started it. They were bottom barrel team that made 2 bold trades for guys that hadn't gotten other teams over the hump, both bottom dwellers the year before. They gave up a lot of assets in those trades, gambling they could make it work. It wasn't anything at all like the wait until free agency moves later guys made.

Good point but what did that team consistently do during that time? They beat LBJ and showed him he needed more firepower. This link is definitely a homer piece but it was a well known sentiment. Timeline of Boston Celtics' Big 3 as We Knew Them

"They showed other franchises that building a successful super-team is possible. "

• 1Like
In a few months we will be having this conversation about the NFL. I am getting bored of the fact that the QB, given the current ruleset, statistically makes or breaks the odds.

I say, institute a "Theisman rewrite" of what the QB is entitled to. In fact, do that + make it the equivalent of a safety if you knock the QB out of the game for a play or more.

oops, getting off the topic of this thread. sorry. Cleveland people have major psychological issues when it comes to talking about QB's.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
In a few months we will be having this conversation about the NFL. I am getting bored of the fact that the QB, given the current ruleset, statistically makes or breaks the odds.

I say, institute a "Theisman rewrite" of what the QB is entitled to. In fact, do that + make it the equivalent of a safety if you knock the QB out of the game for a play or more.

oops, getting off the topic of this thread. sorry. Cleveland people have major psychological issues when it comes to talking about QB's.

I hate it too. The NFL is doing the exact same thing. Instead of pushing teams, they are pushing figureheads. I understand pushing your brand but that starts this whole mess of a few players having incredible influence in how the games are won. Many of them aren't even the best player on the field but manipulate the current rules. Since we are in the NBA thread, Harden is the most egregious example. The stupid refs give him about 10-15 extra points every game until the playoffs. Hmmm, I wonder why he's MVP contender every year and his team dominates until the rules change for the playoffs. Suddenly, Harden's not as good when he doesn't get free fouls all game long.

Suddenly, a backup QB is able to win a SB because the rules favor offense so much more than D. He has an automatic edge and is still a great player. Not nearly the best out there but the coach has a plan. Just be aggressive offensively all game, and you have a solid chance to win.

• 2Like