NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
When will the Warriors be on the downslide? 3 more years?

Depends on player health really. Klay has already said he will be taking less to stay with the warriors. So assuming they max Durant and curry while continuing to attract relevant vets at discount prices for the ring chase they will be in a good spot for the next 3-5 years. I think expecting two more titles isn't a stretch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Surprised KD got the Finals MVP over Steph honestly.

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
When will the Warriors be on the downslide? 3 more years?

If they can keep it together, longer.

The only "old" dude on the team is Igoudala.

Five years minimum. Three more titles easily.

The only thing that will stop this team is a clash of egos.

• 1Cutler
Cornball way to fix this shit?

Have the commish or whoever/whatever designate "tier 1" players. Can't have more than 2 per team. They must be offered super max contracts or some silly shit.

Worst finals ever.

I agree with you we got a problem, but not sure what solution is

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Cornball way to fix this shit?

Have the commish or whoever/whatever designate "tier 1" players. Can't have more than 2 per team. They must be offered super max contracts or some silly shit.

Worst finals ever.

Just eliminate max contracts.

Problem solved

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
CBA is in place for several more years.

Max contracts are an albatross in the NBA. I don't think it's a magic bullet, but would Kevin Durant turn down $800 million over 10 years from Memphis? The fact is the top 30 players in the league are all paid the same is an issue.

This narrative of superteams will only become stronger in the years leading up to the new CBA negotiations. I fully expect owners to increase the luxury tax. Owners don't like being locked out of the competition by players' choice in free agency.

• 1Picard

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
CBA is in place for several more years.

Max contracts are an albatross in the NBA. I don't think it's a magic bullet, but would Kevin Durant turn down $800 million over 10 years from Memphis? The fact is the top 30 players in the league are all paid the same is an issue.

This narrative of superteams will only become stronger in the years leading up to the new CBA negotiations. I fully expect owners to increase the luxury tax. Owners don't like being locked out of the competition by players' choice in free agency.

I don't disagree about the max contract issue, but as far as being locked out of competition...considering 3/4's of the Warriors "superstars" were drafted in back to back years with picks 7, 11, and 35 I'm not sure I can buy teams being locked out of competition.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I don't disagree about the max contract issue, but as far as being locked out of competition...considering 3/4's of the Warriors "superstars" were drafted in back to back years with picks 7, 11, and 35 I'm not sure I can buy teams being locked out of competition.

We'll see what happens, but 2/4 of the Warriors "superstars" may take a significant pay cut to stay in Oakland/SF.

I'd expect to see a group of owners form a coalition to prevent that sort of thing. Will be hard to get by the players because they won't take kindly to a more restrictive free agency.

There's a lot of time between now and then. If the NBA evolves into 3 or 4 superteams composed to beat the Warriors that's going to be a strong narrative.

• 1Picard

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We'll see what happens, but 2/4 of the Warriors "superstars" may take a significant pay cut to stay in Oakland/SF.

I'd expect to see a group of owners form a coalition to prevent that sort of thing. Will be hard to get by the players because they won't take kindly to a more restrictive free agency.

There's a lot of time between now and then. If the NBA evolves into 3 or 4 superteams composed to beat the Warriors that's going to be a strong narrative.

You want owners to prevent players from taking pay cuts in order to help the team that drafted them build a championship caliber squad? I mean, maybe they should just do free agency lottery style to spread the wealth around to lucky cities that win it, just like the draft lottery.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
You want owners to prevent players from taking pay cuts in order to help the team that drafted them build a championship caliber squad? I mean, maybe they should just do free agency lottery style to spread the wealth around to lucky cities that win it, just like the draft lottery.

Not what I want.

I expect the owners/NBA to create some "competitive balance" BS around this sort of thing.

Yeah, I doubt owners are going to try and stop players from taking less money

Owners pay the players the same amount no matter what. As per the CBA: Collectively, the players are guaranteed to receive 50% of forecasted revenues, plus (or minus) 60.5% of the amount by which revenues exceed (or fall short of) the forecasts, with a lower limit of 49% of BRI and an upper limit of 51% of BRI.

Because of "competitive balance," especially if this Warriors team sticks around, I'd expect them to make additional restrictions on how teams spend the money.

Twenty salty NBA owners know they can't take trophies away from the Warriors but they can put more rules in place to make assembling future dynasties more difficult.

Right now, my money would be on restrictions to Bird Rights, looking at the max contract problem, and reworking of the luxury tax.

• 1Cutler