NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
I don't think LeBron is teaming up with Chris Paul, his health is too undependable. The dude can't play/finish a full season of basketball and Lebron always gets to the end only to come up short because he has no help so i don't see that happening.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I generally don't like Smith or agree with him much. I do like his assessment here though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I generally don't like Smith or agree with him much. I do like his assessment here though.

Same here. This and the Dallas series are what ruins his advocates arguments for GOAT. He gave up in the locker room before the game started.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone brought up that LeBron broke/injured his hand after the first game? After learning that it makes sense that he performed the way he did in the final 3 games.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
He probably shouldn't go around punching whiteboards out of frustration then.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Agreed, that whiteboard did not dribble out the clock in Game 1. Also, where is the outrage for the black on white violence?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Same here. This and the Dallas series are what ruins his advocates arguments for GOAT. He gave up in the locker room before the game started.

There is no argument for any player not named Michael Jordan. Unless you didn’t see Jordan play, in which case...carry on.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I think Magic is definitely in the conversation, but he gets over looked because he was pass first guy, much like LeBron.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Has anyone brought up that LeBron broke/injured his hand after the first game? After learning that it makes sense that he performed the way he did in the final 3 games.
Just a bullshit excuse

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Look when LeBron is in a Rockets Jersey next year we can finally stop talking about Cleveland. Finally.

• 4Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
We'll see what happens, but 2/4 of the Warriors "superstars" may take a significant pay cut to stay in Oakland/SF.

I'd expect to see a group of owners form a coalition to prevent that sort of thing. Will be hard to get by the players because they won't take kindly to a more restrictive free agency.

There's a lot of time between now and then. If the NBA evolves into 3 or 4 superteams composed to beat the Warriors that's going to be a strong narrative.

This isn't solely directed at you. You just happen to be the last basketball is boring mah competitive balance guy to post.

This isn't anything new. In fact outside of the seventies which is widely considered the dark ages of the NBA, the league has never had parity.

Pre 1970 it was all Celtics and Minnesota Lakers. In the Eighties it was 5 Laker championships, 3 Celtics championships, then the one for the Sixers and one for the pistons who repeated in ninety.

In the nineties you had six for the Jordan Bulls and two for the rockets along with the start of the spurs and Lakers modern dynasties. The spurs and Lakers then went on to win five a piece between 2000 and 2014 with a celtics win, the pistons, the heat championships and Dirk getting a ring. Now we have golden state and had the Cavs until lebron's projected relocation.

The NBA has always been a dynasty driven league where the same teams dominated in three to eight year stretches. I'm not sure why this is all of a sudden some horrible thing that golden state is doing to basketball? The celtics and Lakers alone account for more then a third of all titles and the 2000 to 2014 lakers/spurs combo make up more then half of the 21st century titles.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
This isn't solely directed at you. You just happen to be the last basketball is boring mah competitive balance guy to post.

This isn't anything new. In fact outside of the seventies which is widely considered the dark ages of the NBA, the league has never had parity.

Pre 1970 it was all Celtics and Minnesota Lakers. In the Eighties it was 5 Laker championships, 3 Celtics championships, then the one for the Sixers and one for the pistons who repeated in ninety.

In the nineties you had six for the Jordan Bulls and two for the rockets along with the start of the spurs and Lakers modern dynasties. The spurs and Lakers then went on to win five a piece between 2000 and 2014 with a celtics win, the heat championships and Dirk getting a ring. Now we have golden state and had the Cavs until lebron's projected relocation.

The NBA has always been a dynasty driven league where the same teams dominated in three to eight year stretches. I'm not sure why this is all of a sudden some horrible thing that golden state is doing to basketball? The celtics and Lakers alone account for more then a third of all titles and the 2000 to 2014 lakers/spurs combo make up more then half of the 21st century titles.

You bring up a lot of good points (except I don't seem to have the view that you assume I hold).

The owners in the last CBA tried to bring about more parity. I think the owners are concerned about their own ability to put together a contending squad because contenders make more money (both in the short term with more playoff games = more ticket revenue and long term with more trophies = higher sales price when they cash out).

We saw two big changes in the current CBA:

They brought in huge tax penalties for repeaters. This scares away most teams, but when you're in the dynasty window, teams seem to be willing to pay it – the NBA owners may have some shrewd financial dudes but if you dangle the trophy in front of them they reach into their pocketbooks for the chance at glory. There's a lot of history to write on this between now and the end of the CBA, but I'd call this only somewhat effective. Depending on what the Golden State owners are willing to pay, that opinion could change, but I'd guess ownership in general will dig in deeper.

The hometown contract incentives for superstars to stay put and not create superteams. Again, we'll see what happens with this, but so far some of the game's biggest stars have eschewed the huge 5-year mega-contracts to maintain their own control over their fate. Oklahoma City lost Kevin Durant in Free Agency even though they could offer him dozens of millions more than anyone else and he even chose to take a massive paycut from the max in his prime. The narrative around this is still ongoing, but again I'm predicting ownership will want more power/options at their disposal.

Here's the fundamental question: Do owners believe most teams are like the Warriors or like the Thunder?

Although maybe in 5 years they'll be asking a different question. Lots of basketball still to be played.

• 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't disputing your basketball finance stuff or why the CBA was constructed like it is, or even what the owners want. Your post was just the most recent to touch on, if only tangentially, about power teams and league parity. So I quoted you. Probably not the best post to quote for my little ramble but I'm on the tail end of a 12 hour shift and not exactly of the clearest mind.

• 1Like