NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't disputing your basketball finance stuff or why the CBA was constructed like it is, or even what the owners want. Your post was just the most recent to touch on, if only tangentially, about power teams and league parity. So I quoted you. Probably not the best post to quote for my little ramble but I'm on the tail end of a 12 hour shift and not exactly of the clearest mind.

All good, was a good post!

NBA has never had a lot of parity at the very top.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
As everyone on Earth has probably heard: Kawhi wants out of San Antonio. Preferred destination is Los Angeles, and preferably the Lakers, but rumors see somewhat open to the Clippers. Apparently people close to him want him to entertain the Knicks...

On a much smaller note: Jimmy Butler apparently wants Wiggins out of Minnesota. I don't blame him. Risky, but I'd almost attach that #20 pick and send Wiggins to a team with cap space. Make a run at Paul George or something. Wolves would be really solid, but that Wiggins max was not a good idea.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
ESPN posted an article on how the Lakers could get Kawhi, LBJ, and Paul George. No fucking way that happens though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I for one would welcome Queen James to the Lakers. Would be great to see them crush the Warriors.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Kawhi Leonard can go fuck himself. Dude’s softer than baby shit.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
What doesnt sit well with me is the report claims a major reason for his desire to leave is how the Spurs treated him concerning his injury. What a load of shit. The Spurs knew he was holding back to 150% sure he doesnt as much as get jock itch this season so there are no injury issues come the offseason. So they told him to get your ass on the court because you are getting paid to perform and NOT act like Willie Mays Hayes after filming Thunder and Lightning with Jesse Ventura.

He was holding back because...he wanted to go to LA all along! So they were right! So how are you going to bitch and moan and use that as an excuse when you got called out by your management and they were right all along?

"Oh yeah guys front office was right and I totally punted this season so I can leverage my impending free agency (totally healed amirite?) in a year to force a trade to a place I wanted all along. But fuck them for actually calling me on it!"

GTFO.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't understand why a star player would want to leave the Spurs.
Small market and a front office/coach that doesn't put up with as much bullshit.

This is definitely not a good look for Kawhi. Being a Spurs guy I'd hate to see someone of his skillset gone, but it's looking like a Lakers trade is going to end up happening. They've been about as good as it can get when it comes to drafting and trading and I hope they stay the fuck away from Ball. Kuzma + another player + 2019 1st? Something like that. What would be fairly amazing though is that trade happens and Lebron goes to The Spurs anyways and The Lakers still suck.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Boston has more risk though of him not re-signing. They will test the waters but not sure how much they'd actually give up in the end. If I were them I do like Hayward (for the money and as a Kawhi replacement) + Rozier + picks. And then maybe Jaylen Brown as additional sweetener if necessary. I don't think Ainge will give up Tatum after the season he just had, when he has Tatum locked up for like 5-6 more years and could potentially only have Kawhi for a year. With it looking likely that Lebron is gone from the East, Celtics will at least be in the driver's seat for the conference. Although, Philly is also going to try to throw in on Kawhi. Boston might then be willing to get more to not just get the great player but also to keep him away from their up and coming rival.

I don't think there was much chance of Lebron going to SA even with Kawhi there. Without Kawhi there's absolutely no chance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't think the Spurs ever had a chance of getting LeBron. I think LeBron wants to go to LA so he can network and move right into his post basketball career.

• 2Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I don't think the Spurs ever had a chance of getting LeBron. I think LeBron wants to go to LA so he can network and move right into his post basketball career.
At this point, Lebron isn't thinking about the next 5 years, he's thinking about the next 50.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Boston has more risk though of him not re-signing. They will test the waters but not sure how much they'd actually give up in the end. If I were them I do like Hayward (for the money and as a Kawhi replacement) + Rozier + picks. And then maybe Jaylen Brown as additional sweetener if necessary. I don't think Ainge will give up Tatum after the season he just had, when he has Tatum locked up for like 5-6 more years and could potentially only have Kawhi for a year. With it looking likely that Lebron is gone from the East, Celtics will at least be in the driver's seat for the conference. Although, Philly is also going to try to throw in on Kawhi. Boston might then be willing to get more to not just get the great player but also to keep him away from their up and coming rival.

I don't think there was much chance of Lebron going to SA even with Kawhi there. Without Kawhi there's absolutely no chance.

Hayward and Rozier and a pick is about right. No need to throw in Brown. Even with Hayward off that injury it's about right. If he was SIGNED then yep. You give up everyone minus Tatum.

Leonard is EXACTLY what Boston needs. Positionless dude that plays defense and creates his own shot? Dude would have Brad bustin nuts all over himself.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If I was Boston, I'd hope they take Kyrie instead of Gordon (assuming the injury is no concern now).

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
If I was Boston, I'd hope they take Kyrie instead of Gordon (assuming the injury is no concern now).

I'll go further and pass completely. Guy has shown his colors. Boston has talent everywhere and James is gone. They don't need a one year rental to dominate the East and I'd hate to see Leonard 'suddenly' have quad relapse in the Finals....when the Celtics would actually need him.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Hayward is due to make $31 million. Leonard is due to make $20 million.

Spurs don't have many contracts they can ship out with Kawhi to facilitate deals. They could ship out Pau Gasol's contract but Danny Ainge won't go for that.

Leonard is a talent upgrade and a fit for every team in the NBA. The concerns are, in order, 1) Is he healthy? 2) Will he sign long term?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I still can't help but shake the feeling that the Celtics will "roll the dice" and offer up for Leonard, even with the chance he doesn't sign. I mean shit, if you win a title or come really close in your one year with Boston, and Stevens is a coaching savant... can he really not re-sign? I think the Spurs would take Irving straight up, or Hayward & Rozier, or even possibly Brown, Rozier & a first rounder. They just have so many avenues to get this done, and really even if Leonard bailed, they are in a great situation going forward either way. The asset collection that Ainge owns, is just incredibly impressive.

Really need this draft to be done, I am getting Mock Draft-itis super hardcore. Theoreticals in sports, and life, are fun. But holy shit. Let it pass. Need a breather after the NFL Draft & now this. Recharge in time for MLB's off-season.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
What makes you think at this point he cares about winning? He cares about the money and the fame. His shoe deal jumps up in LA. The rest of his brand goes up in LA.

• 2Like