NBA 2017-2018 Season Thread

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I would be so ashamed if I was Lonzo. You're in a league with grown ass men - many of whom have children - and your dad is always getting up in your business. Just embarrassing.

All the Ball kids have to be screwed up psychologically from Lavar. I'm hoping for a Johnny Moxon moment from one of them, but a suicide is more likely

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like the Lakers got a really good player in one of their rookies, and it isn't the Ricky Rubio clone I'm talking about.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Celts vs Rockets. Harden loses his composure, and costs them a potential win.

I knew nothing about Tatum prior to coming to Boston. He's gotta be in the discussion at least for rookie of the year. Though Simmons is on another level.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Lots of good rookies this year. Simmon's stat line probably gets him the ROY award without much contention but Tatum has been the most positive contributor. Helps he's on a team with a ton of talent and only has to take 9 shots a game, but he's a good all around player. Still don't think he has quite the ceiling of some of the more athletic guys in the class (DSJ specifically), but he's certainly been very good for a 19 year old.

Kuzma and Mitchell have both had pretty great Decembers.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Kuzma has been awesome in what I've seen. But he's also just had great games against the Warriors.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Tatum's 3P % has been damn impressive, only finally dropping below 50% lately. He seems to be in that Melo / Jabari Parker (if he can ever stay healthy) line of SF's that can just flat out score, but so far at least is happy to be a role player on a deep well coached team which is allowing him to be very efficient. He'll be a good player for a long time, not sure if he can be great though.

Kuzma is the same kind of player, its just wow, finding a guy like that in the late 20's does not happen often. When the Lakers traded De'Angelo Russell I thought they were trading low and should have been able to get a top 10 pick, but Kuzma is a top 10 pick in a redraft so it's worked out.

Obligatory Jordan Bell mention in any rookie discussion. He's not in the RoY race at all cause he can't get enough minutes and is not a scorer, but as I said on the first page of this thread, I don't know if any member of the rookie class would have been a better fit to help the Warriors just for this season. A few months in and his play has only enforced this. Dude is happy to just to the dirty work, only takes good shots, solid passer for a rookie big, and is going to be an elite perimeter defender for a guy that can play a lot of minutes at C. Bell, Durant, Draymond as a closing front line vs. teams trying to match our small ball (Rockets, Celtics, Cavs) is going to become more and more of a thing. Top defender from this rookie class, a guy that may be top 5 in this year's DPoY race thus far, and the reigning DPoY. It's ridic, not taking this run for granted one bit.

But yeah, SImmons is running away with the rookie of the year award.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Dennis Smith: 21 pts, 10 reb, 10 ast on 8-12 fg tonight in 31 minutes. He's a stud. Carlisle is strict with playing young guys, so it's probably gonna take him awhile to get fully comfortable with the system. It's so nice to have a really high ceiling prospect though. That's a super-rare commodity for this Mavs organization.

That being said, they need to start losing again. Top 5 or bust.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Blows my mind that the Celtics look this good, and have the Lakers 1st round pick for this year (pick is currently #2 overall).

Can't imagine a really young core of Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Brown and Ayton/Doncic/Bagley. Jesus.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Doncic will be a bust, there's no way he's getting picked before Porter Jr.

Anyways, its anybody's guess at this point how the draft order ends up. Lakers are 2nd worst now but there are about 10 teams separated by only 4-5 wins and a lot of games to go. Lakers have seemingly had a drop off in how competitive they are since Ball has been out.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Doncic's production is extremely impressive, considering his age. Will his athleticism, or lack there of hurt him? Sure, seems reasonable that it would keep him from being a "star". I'd personally take Porter Jr. over him as well, potential bad back and all. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Celtics take Doncic though due to fit.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Lots of things can change between now and draft day, obviously, but Bagley is my #1.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. I was opting towards Porter Jr. before the surgery, but Bagley is a can't miss star so it probably ends up being him unless Porter unexpectedly comes back and plays some. 10 years ago Ayton would have hands down been the #1 pick of this draft class, but in today's world he's probably 3rd. Nobody is going to pull another Oden over Durant for a while.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We bent over the Cavs tonight. It's pretty nuts how lopsided it is.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I linked this a few years back but recently revisited it. I highly recommend it if you've never read it before. It is fucking hilarious:

The death of basketball

There's one for the NFL that is similarly hilarious.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I remember reading it back when, but some of this is funny again in retrospect. Like they had the Cavs going to umpteen straight finals in the same years even though they didn't know Lebron would go back to the Cavs and he wasn't on those simulated Cavs teams. Seeing Lebron on Lakers playing against the Cavs is funny considering the rumors about where he may go next. Kyrie Irving on the Cavs beating Kevin Love's TWolves in the finals in 2020.

Think I'm good with the reality we've had over this.

• 1Worf

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
That was a fun read. The one thing, amongst many, that stood out is an entire season going by for the T-Wolves and never getting an assist off 4300 points. Haha.

• 1Worf