NBA 2019-2020 Season: Kawhi Saved Us

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
NBA is in a pretty fun place right now, that Clippers game last night was really fun. Kawhi dunking on those Massholes was great.

As for Luka, don't know what else to say other than I've never seen anything like him and I've been an NBA guy for 25 years. Said it a million times in private, but will say it now publicly - if he was an American kid from Chicago or something he'd be the biggest story in sports. Not just basketball, sports.

I agree on the "American kid" take. There have been some, salty people, that I have seen insinuate that he is also getting so much coverage because he was white (which is retarded). Imagine if this kid had Zion-type hype and had been known stateside his sophmore year in high school. He would absolutely be the biggest name in sports right this second, and he may be regardless. It feels like you hit the lotto as a sports fan, especially after Cuban & Nelson kind of just shit the bed for 7 years after the 2011 team. Whom honestly would have probably had at least a decent shot at repeating...

NBA is in a good position. Congrats to the Warriors' fans, but going into an NBA season where you had just an insanely massive favorite fucking sucked. When KD & Cousins joined that team it was just retarded - obviously things didn't quite play out that way, but it still took a borderline miracle/disaster for another team to even compete. The Clippers (possibly the Lakers) may eventually turn out to be that kind of beast, but the competition is just dramatically better across the board. Fuck, even some of the bottom-feeder teams have some fun pieces.

Really interested in that Grizzlies team going forward. Morant & Jackson Jr. are going to be badass to watch. Brandon Clarke is also looking like a perfect 3&D wing.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
There are people saying Luka is only getting so much coverage because he's white? Hah!

If he were black the league would already be anointing him the next great one and looking for ways to change rules and bend ethics to ensure he became a billionaire brand.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Some pretty substantial proposed changes here.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The WNBA has been seeding teams in the playoffs without regard to conference for several seasons.

Commissioner Adam Silver has been driving this agenda of change -- especially the in-season tournament cup modeled after European soccer -- for years.

Well, damn, if the WNBA and Soccer are doing it, then I'm in! Assuming the idea is first approved by China.

I don't know if I actually care about changing the playoffs, even that dramatically, just thought that was a funny way to present the point and presumably bolster the argument with American fans, especially certain demographics that I don't think take much stock in what the WNBA or Soccer are doing. But I feel like that's the way the NBA has gone for years. What the average American fan might want usually seems like the last on their list of considerations.

The NBA is selling the idea of lucrative television and sponsorship revenue that would drive long-term growth and combat stagnation in a rapidly splintering consumer environment.

Why is anything with the NBA stagnating when they've done nothing but cater their ideal audience with more entertainment value and more offense and more of everything flashy they think fans want? It's almost like their short-term changes are having long-term implications, and maybe the problem isn't the playoff structure, but the direction of the actual game on the court.

I know I'm just getting old and salty and am no longer the type of fan they care about, though. I mean, I'm a dummy and actually think traveling should be called and good defense is entertaining. So obviously they don't care that I'm sick of this "agenda of change" that proposes major changes as the actual game gets less interesting to watch with every team having 3 super all-star greatest players ever superstar legends based on modern offensive stats compared to the archaic days of even the 90s.

Carmelo Anthony and Vince Carter are both top 20 all time points scorers. Top 20 scoring... both are absolute legends, right? All time greats!

Like all MMOs suffering from MUDflation, all sports suffer from stat inflation. But the NBA stat inflation (NBflAtion?) has turned me off the most from enjoying the actual basic, underlying quality of the game. Baseball is boring for other reasons, and the NFL is absurd with needing to hug instead of tackle, but the NBA is like watching NBA Jam and long term it just isn't as interesting.

Again, I recognize I'm not the fan they care about any longer, but they also seem concerned they aren't retaining fans, or at least growing like they want. But are these playoff changes really going to bring back fans they've lost, or is anyone going to start watching because of these changes? My guess is it will just push away more people like me who at least tune in for the playoffs, which are sometimes good since everyone acknowledges teams start playing defense (still don't call the travels, though!), but who are dubious of these constant, massive, flashy changes Silver keeps pushing like the game needed to be fundamentally changed for anyone to enjoy it. The NBA was perhaps the least inherently flawed of the major sports, but, nah, needs constant, forced changes I guess.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Well, damn, if the WNBA and Soccer are doing it, then I'm in! Assuming the idea is first approved by China.

I don't know if I actually care about changing the playoffs, even that dramatically, just thought that was a funny way to present the point and presumably bolster the argument with American fans, especially certain demographics that I don't think take much stock in what the WNBA or Soccer are doing. But I feel like that's the way the NBA has gone for years. What the average American fan might want usually seems like the last on their list of considerations.

Why is anything with the NBA stagnating when they've done nothing but cater their ideal audience with more entertainment value and more offense and more of everything flashy they think fans want? It's almost like their short-term changes are having long-term implications, and maybe the problem isn't the playoff structure, but the direction of the actual game on the court.

I know I'm just getting old and salty and am no longer the type of fan they care about, though. I mean, I'm a dummy and actually think traveling should be called and good defense is entertaining. So obviously they don't care that I'm sick of this "agenda of change" that proposes major changes as the actual game gets less interesting to watch with every team having 3 super all-star greatest players ever superstar legends based on modern offensive stats compared to the archaic days of even the 90s.

Carmelo Anthony and Vince Carter are both top 20 all time points scorers. Top 20 scoring... both are absolute legends, right? All time greats!

Like all MMOs suffering from MUDflation, all sports suffer from stat inflation. But the NBA stat inflation (NBflAtion?) has turned me off the most from enjoying the actual basic, underlying quality of the game. Baseball is boring for other reasons, and the NFL is absurd with needing to hug instead of tackle, but the NBA is like watching NBA Jam and long term it just isn't as interesting.

Again, I recognize I'm not the fan they care about any longer, but they also seem concerned they aren't retaining fans, or at least growing like they want. But are these playoff changes really going to bring back fans they've lost, or is anyone going to start watching because of these changes? My guess is it will just push away more people like me who at least tune in for the playoffs, which are sometimes good since everyone acknowledges teams start playing defense (still don't call the travels, though!), but who are dubious of these constant, massive, flashy changes Silver keeps pushing like the game needed to be fundamentally changed for anyone to enjoy it. The NBA was perhaps the least inherently flawed of the major sports, but, nah, needs constant, forced changes I guess.

Scoring dropped dramatically in the 90s. Scoring is about on par with what the NBA had in the 80s.

That being said, Vince Carter and Carmelo Anthony are as much about longevity as anything else.

It's not like the NFL and passing rules being changed which makes QB comparisons impossible.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
There are people saying Luka is only getting so much coverage because he's white? Hah!

If he were black the league would already be anointing him the next great one and looking for ways to change rules and bend ethics to ensure he became a billionaire brand.

I think you're wrong on this. I don't know anyone, black or white that doesn't think he's a baller. I turn down Celtics tickets from vendors all the time (my job)...But I went to see him specifically a couple weeks ago when Dallas rolled into town. He was great, but unassumingly great.

Be honest here. He's just not exciting to watch and has not had the big playoff moment yet. That's it. His time will come when the playoffs hit. He may be the most fundamentally sound guy I have see come into the league in 20 years? But soon as you say that, kids now a days think that's bad. Hard to market that IMO.

I will put this in MMO terms. He's a bard. Tough to market them. Oh you definitely want that guy in your party though. Does everything great, but he's the bard. Bards are god sends. But they're bards.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think you're wrong on this. I don't know anyone, black or white that doesn't think he's a baller. I turn down Celtics tickets from vendors all the time (my job)...But I went to see him specifically a couple weeks ago when Dallas rolled into town. He was great, but unassumingly great.

Be honest here. He's just not exciting to watch and has not had the big playoff moment yet. That's it. His time will come when the playoffs hit. He may be the most fundamentally sound guy I have see come into the league in 20 years? But soon as you say that, kids now a days think that's bad. Hard to market that IMO.

I will put this in MMO terms. He's a bard. Tough to market them. Oh you definitely want that guy in your party though. Does everything great, but he's the bard. Bards are god sends. But they're bards.

I agree that part of the issue is he's not American and I see some similarity with Giannis. It could also be that the NBA has some of the best stories available this year. The Clippers/Lakers drama. Watching Westbrook try his best to be the next Melo. No Warriors/Cavs bullshit. But Doncic... RotY from last year, who was already getting compared to LBJ last season. Youngest guy to ever get a triple double. He should be higher, especially compared to LBJ. He's already better than early LBJ was. A LOT better. I'd rather promote him to the kids than this whiny baby. Lakers, LeBron James Rip Refs After Latest Victory Cry more, bitch. Personally, I'm tired of seeing the same drama queens in my b-ball.

Your analogy is terrible tho. In MMO terms, he's a DK from WoW. He's destroying things in his 5 man group and can tank or DPS depending on what you need him to do. He's putting up insane numbers without having to use dirty tricks like Harden or hog the ball like Westbrook. Let's see some new stories NBA.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Your analogy is terrible tho. In MMO terms, he's a DK from WoW. He's destroying things in his 5 man group and can tank or DPS depending on what you need him to do. He's putting up insane numbers without having to use dirty tricks like Harden or hog the ball like Westbrook. Let's see some new stories NBA.

Touche' MFer. Touche'. Much better analogy.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
In a couple of years we'll probably all be talking about how he's the best player in the league and make fun of Sacramento for drafting Bagley ahead of him.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
In a couple of years we'll probably all be talking about how he's the best player in the league and make fun of Sacramento for drafting Bagley ahead of him.

I don't think he will ever be the best player in the league. He will be top 3 though IMO. He has to compete with Giannis for best player for years to come. Kawhi is in his prime. AD is still too young etc.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I think it's only a matter of time till Luka is #1. If not, he will at least be rotating. His game is gonna translate easier in the playoffs than Giannis'. AD is a monster, but similar game to Giannis, plus he is never healthy. Kawhi will be the biggest roadblock for a bit.

edit: HalleLuka

Jordan-esque highlights

Last edited:
  • 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Luka too damn clumsy to be Jordan-esque. Fantastic player but let's keep him where he belongs. I agree with Brahma, competes for top 3 of his era during his career....the end.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
He may be the most fundamentally sound guy I have see come into the league in 20 years? But soon as you say that, kids now a days think that's bad. Hard to market that IMO.

That's basically my point. Hard to market some white foreigner who has good fundamentals and plays in a smart and understated way. Kids don't want that. They want Westbrook going Leroy Jenkins turning a 1 on 3 into a fast break or a 3 on 1 into a pull up three pointer whether it's smart or helps win or not.

If he were black doing what he's doing it would be LeBron frenzy so over again. In part because he probably wouldn't be the fundamentals focused type of player Euros seem to be producing, but a flashier, athletic freak ala LeBron or Westbrook because that's now our basketball culture is and what the fans crave.

NBA is WWE for hippity hop culture at this point and the actual sport is just the setting for all the drama and marketing and sales and branding and drama. Right down to most players being friends and only pretending to be serious rivals on the court.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Luka not exciting to watch!? He’s the most “must see” guy in the league right now. Sure he’s not exciting like Russ or Harden in that you know he’s not going to do something completely retarded to cost his team the game, (he makes the right decision 99% of the time which I guess is boring?!?) but he’s been the best player on the court every game this season except vs LBJ and he’s not even remotely at his peak (and he was excellent that game too). He’s so good in fact, that even when I think he’s had a “bad” half I’ll look up and see 20/5/6 and be like... wtf? He drops 15 a quarter and I don’t really notice it. Just a crazy efficient, in rhythm offensive game.

Fucking lol Phoenix hotlanta and Sacramento. Harden is averaging 39 (39!) ppg and Luka just dominated that game today on the road.

All that said, playoffs will be interesting as right now he’s just toying with everybody. Big boy basketball will make for a sterner test. Also, if Dallas hits 50+ wins and he keeps this up..... Sophomore MVP?!? Sounds crazy (and I don’t think he’ll sustain this yet) but,.........

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That's basically my point. Hard to market some white foreigner who has good fundamentals and plays in a smart and understated way. Kids don't want that. They want Westbrook going Leroy Jenkins turning a 1 on 3 into a fast break or a 3 on 1 into a pull up three pointer whether it's smart or helps win or not.

If he were black doing what he's doing it would be LeBron frenzy so over again. In part because he probably wouldn't be the fundamentals focused type of player Euros seem to be producing, but a flashier, athletic freak ala LeBron or Westbrook because that's now our basketball culture is and what the fans crave.

NBA is WWE for hippity hop culture at this point and the actual sport is just the setting for all the drama and marketing and sales and branding and drama. Right down to most players being friends and only pretending to be serious rivals on the court.

Why do you keep throwing him being white in there? Him being a foreigner is the setback. Not him being white. The same as The Freak. Arguably Giannis is the leagues best player, and people still want to see Kyrie or Westbrook over this dude. Stop trying to make it some NBA conspiracy holding the white guy down. It's all about flash. Nothing more. If you think the NBA isn't looking for the next Larry Bird you're crazy. If Luka was Bill Smith from the corn field, back waters of Nebraska...He'd be Jesus Christ.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
He drops 15 a quarter and I don’t really notice it. Just a crazy efficient, in rhythm offensive game.

This is why he is not exciting man. Use almost any adjective to describe him as a great player...but exciting is not one of them unfortunately.

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Luka too damn clumsy to be Jordan-esque. Fantastic player but let's keep him where he belongs. I agree with Brahma, competes for top 3 of his era during his career....the end.
It's year 2 and he's already the best point guard in the league. If he keeps up that pace, he'll be top 10 all time.... the end.

• 1Like