NBA 2020-2021: The Dubs Empire Strikes Back

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Damn Warriors missed playoffs after all. Pretty surprised but the play in nature does lead to some chaos.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Luka is the best player alive. Truly believe that. That dude just dominates that Clippers team with way less talent.

Good game by Dorian Finney Smith tonight also.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Luka is the best player alive. Truly believe that. That dude just dominates that Clippers team with way less talent.

Won't go that far but he's young and will keep getting better presumably.

The back end of that 4th quarter was real good for Dallas.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Definitely the best Mav I've ever seen (I'm sorry Dirk!). He's unreal - Clips tanked on purpose, and Luka/THJ/DoeDoe said fuck you pay me. Expect this to be a long, wild series with no expectation other than Luka to be the best player in the series for the second year in a row.

Mavs have a problem though and it's a 7'4" scrub called Porzingis. He's not consistent, healthy, or mentally tough enough to be the #2 guy to Luka's #1. Will be interested to see what the Mavs have lined up once their season ends, because as good as Luka is he needs a better #2. Shit, even somebody like Draymond and this team is looking like a 2/3 seed with championship aspirations, but 14/4 isn't going to cut it from Porzi.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
He just does so much to affect a game. Constantly over performs in huge moments, seemingly has a trick in the bag any time he needs to get points or draw defenders in on drives. His offensive game is just, it's one of the best arsenals a player has ever had. And he completely dictates the pace of a game; absolutely killed a few Clippers rallies where their size was starting to really impose itself. The kid is 22 years old! If you sub Luka for any other top player on these better teams, I think he could realistically win a title in a theoretical scenario: Lakers, Clippers, Nets, 76ers, Jazz. Cuban & Nelson have got to do a good job this off-season raising the level of starting talent around Luka & Brunson this off-season.

I think the Mavs will try to move Porzingis this off-season. I expect a Mavs-Golden State trade to at least be talked about: Porzingis for Wiggins making up the main package. With Klay coming back, Wiggins becomes less needed. Porzingis would give them a great fit as a stretch player, and they really would only need him to be healthy for the playoffs.

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
He just does so much to affect a game. Constantly over performs in huge moments, seemingly has a trick in the bag any time he needs to get points or draw defenders in on drives. His offensive game is just, it's one of the best arsenals a player has ever had. And he completely dictates the pace of a game; absolutely killed a few Clippers rallies where their size was starting to really impose itself. The kid is 22 years old! If you sub Luka for any other top player on these better teams, I think he could realistically win a title in a theoretical scenario: Lakers, Clippers, Nets, 76ers, Jazz. Cuban & Nelson have got to do a good job this off-season raising the level of starting talent around Luka & Brunson this off-season.

I think the Mavs will try to move Porzingis this off-season. I expect a Mavs-Golden State trade to at least be talked about: Porzingis for Wiggins making up the main package. With Klay coming back, Wiggins becomes less needed. Porzingis would give them a great fit as a stretch player, and they really would only need him to be healthy for the playoffs.

Very doubtful the Warriors would go this way, even after watching Wiggins give a lackluster performance yesterday. The only thing Kerr knows how to coach is small ball - even with Klay coming back Wiggins is the type of player you want to play that style, especially now that Wiggins has shown he can play some D.

The Warriors should look to package Wiggins contract with either Wiseman and / or their upcoming firsts (including possibly the Wolves first) for an all star if any become available. Would be disappointing if he were used for a lateral move cause i think they need something bigger to ensure Steph re-signs in the next year. Wiggins is the one big contract they can move to get a disgruntled star from elsewhere.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Very doubtful the Warriors would go this way, even after watching Wiggins give a lackluster performance yesterday. The only thing Kerr knows how to coach is small ball - even with Klay coming back Wiggins is the type of player you want to play that style, especially now that Wiggins has shown he can play some D.

The Warriors should look to package Wiggins contract with either Wiseman and / or their upcoming firsts (including possibly the Wolves first) for an all star if any become available. Would be disappointing if he were used for a lateral move cause i think they need something bigger to ensure Steph re-signs in the next year. Wiggins is the one big contract they can move to get a disgruntled star from elsewhere.

Very fair point. I think they'll absolutely look for something even better, IF it becomes available. I still think a Wiggins + asset for Porzingis could be an excellent fit for GS. He would fit with GS better than Dallas, just simply because GS has a better spread of talent/less dependent game to game (assuming Klay comes back healthy enough).

I don't exactly love Wiggins by any means, but I know this trade was rumored about a bit in Feb.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Yeah maybe could happen near the trade deadline if nothing else came to fruition and they're desperate to shake things up for some reason. Yeah, I think Wiggins and Porzingis are pretty similar in that they were both overly hyped earlier in their careers but didn't live up to that due to inconsistency. I do think Porzingis would be a good fit next to Green on offense and helping to rebound, but his lack of defensive mobility could make him a liability on the court in playoff scenarios. Add in his health history and its just not a move i'd be big on.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I love that Leflop is trending on Twitter because LeBron went bitch mode again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lol a WNBA coach got fined and suspended for calling Liz Cambage fat. (which she is)

He said something like "Cmon ref, thats a foul! She is 300 lbs!" when complaining about a no call or something. She went on Insta afterward to complain like a fucking spoiled millennial she is, and inevitably brought race into it by calling the coach a "little white man" and saying she doesnt know who he is.

Cambage is the worse. She put out a statement not too long ago talking about how hopefully one day soon society will start to take mental health more seriously. And professional athletes will start missing games due to "mental health" instead of just physical injuries.

LMAO. Imagine that. Your favorite player isnt suiting up tonight, he is out with a brain.

What a fat entitled bitch.

edit: Ayton is fucking shit up again. 9 for 10 from the field, 18 pts and 7 boards and game is still in the 3rd.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Maybe he is holy fuck he’s just dominating EVERYBODY LA throws at him. He’s unreal

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe he is holy fuck he’s just dominating EVERYBODY LA throws at him. He’s unreal
Kid is unstoppable. Pg13? Nope. Pat Beverly? Nope. Kawhi? Nope. I can't stress enough that if Luka had a 2nd star, or a "better" cast he'd be recognized as the best sooner, as he should be. His scoring, passing, rebounding (even his defense isn't terrible), control of the game pacing - he just dictates everything about the game. Really if the Mavs make their free throws, its not close again.

Can't help but wonder if this team isn't a good #5 away from being a legitimate championship contender - even without the greatest starting talent. Add a Richaun Holmes/Clint Capela kind of player and I wonder if they'd be quite a bit better. Someone who could guard the paint, be a rim runner on the pick n roll etc.

Huge game by Hardaway Jr. tonight; KP with a very quiet 20.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Ayton 24 of 27 in the series with 5 boards already. 3 for 3 tonight lol. This guy has been a monster.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ayton 24 of 27 in the series with 5 boards already. 3 for 3 tonight lol. This guy has been a monster.
For him to be a "monster" they really need him to carry a heavier load. Great efficiency, but yeah.

Jozu

An efficiency monster.

Booker is going to eat the most as they need the 3pt shooting, but Ayton can take advantage of mismatches and work the give and go with Paul when Booker is getting doubled and tripled.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Ayton is good. I know that people are always going to talk about how Luka went 3rd in that draft, but the Ayton pick is pretty defensible. Kings taking Bagley 2nd though is going to haunt them.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ayton is good. I know that people are always going to talk about how Luka went 3rd in that draft, but the Ayton pick is pretty defensible. Kings taking Bagley 2nd though is going to haunt them.
I get what you're saying, but Ayton really hasn't been great by a lot of measures. He is maybe a 3rd-4th option on offense at best most nights and just doesn't carry enough of a load to really heavily effect most games. Defensively he has certainly improved, but isn't quite an elite defensive player. Ayton is your sort of stereotypical solid "5" right now: efficient, good paint defender that hardly ever caries the load. From that point I don't think you can defend the Ayton pick over Luka. He doesn't really do anything spectacular.

The Ayton pick without hindsight? Sure, to some degree. Even then there were a lot of pundits/people/experts/whatever that really questioned if Ayton as a "5" could ever truly approach the impact a player like Luka might have due to the nature of the modern game, even before we had any idea that Luka would quite be this good.

I think Ayton will become an "All-Star" type player, I just don't think he'll ever be even close to say a Jokic or Embiid kinda of impact at the 5.