Neo's Land

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Still, the only semi-fantasy sandbox game that I even know of is Haven & Hearth. Which was a good game, but the UI is shit and permadeath is hard bro.

Edit: The best thing is that they're selling the engine so people can make their own MMO. That alone is pretty huge.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
The demo is available to anyone that registers.

We are working through a few issues with the demo. However, please do register at the site and invites will be provided for the login. Invites will be sent in the next couple of days. Backers have the priority, but we will get everyone in.

Additionally, we will be providing a video tutorial of how to operate the GUI and of building.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
They need to work on a way better pitch and give Kickstarter a second try. If the game is getting made regardless, I'd half the initial goal at least because second round Kickstarters have it hard enough and this game isn't even going to come close. It would have the benefit of a new name, I suppose.

I wasn't overly impressed in the beginning and they've still got a long way to go, but I do like their transparency and motivation to get this shit done the way they want it done.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really hope they change the title and get a good spokesman. This could have great potential if it gathers a following.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
That game looks like fucking garbage.

At least find some decent artists
Probably because they're using unity. While that engine is pretty awesome, it's limited in a lot of ways. I'm willing to over look the graphics if the rest of the game is good.

They really need new animations, though.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
Probably because they're using unity. While that engine is pretty awesome, it's limited in a lot of ways. I'm willing to over look the graphics if the rest of the game is good.

They really need new animations, though.
This is pretty much my hope. I stopped caring about pretty colors long ago. I'm willing to overlook a lot of things if the gameplay is top notch. Graphics, CS, maybe even short term shitty servers.... as long as it delivers in the enjoyment factor.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
"Graphics don't matter, unless they're terrible."

I'm much more turned off by EQNext's next-gen Kerran than I am Mount and Blade's stiff low-res mannequins

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Minecraft is one example.

Super successful game due togameplay.
Exactly. Minecraft's graphics are superior to Darkfall's, not due to "quality" but to lack of revulsion. Everquest Next may have technically better graphics than other titles, for instance NL, but they've delivered more negative reaction than positive.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
As far as MMOs go graphics seem to matter to most players. Look at EQN and how many jumped ship because of the graphics and style choices (many jumped ship for more/other reasons too). A game's choice of style and graphics definitely matter to me - but it has to work for the game and be consistent. Cardhunter or FTL dont have cutting edge graphics but they work, so does Minecraft I guess (never played). What works for an MMO is probably more grounded in the FPS/3rd Person genre then those examples.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Minecraft has a simple, iconic style. It's very tech limited but it's block-style is cohesive and even if some people don't like it, the mass majority does. Unfortunately for this game, it's tech limitedandthe character creation person looks sort of hideous. It can be heavily refined for sure, but I think that's a long shot considering the lack of additional funding with the Kickstarter blunder. Gameplay over graphics I agree with. But the argument that graphics don't matter is a bad one when it comes to gaming and if you're going to have simple graphics, great art style is crucial.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
But the argument that graphics don't matter is a bad one when it comes to gaming and if you're going to have simple graphics, great art style is crucial.
Simplicity is a lot more difficult to master than the alternative.

League of Legends is one of the most successful games online, yet the graphics are simplistic. Simplistic does not mean ugly...