New movies that dont deserve their own thread.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The Wiz was good. it was all black, but they were some talented fuckers and it wasnt woke. it was just black. This here is the problem. I have zero issue with movies/tv focused on black audiences. Shit like Shaft (original) was targeted to blacks but it was written and about inner city black life as they saw it. Today's woke shit is just propaganda trash.
yeah, it was a perfectly enjoyable film for me as a little kid. it was so well written and performed that i didnt even think of it as "the black version". it was of course based off the hit broadway play written by Joel Schumacher. it even had Michael Jackson before his solo career went into the stratosphere. though i'm sure he would have done that movie even at the height of Thriller. he had some kind of weird crush on Diana Ross.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Anyone watch RRR on Netflix? It was basically an Indian live action anime. I was entertained.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
People bitch about foreign movies like this, but I grew up watching Ninja Theatre after Saturday morning cartoons. This was great.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Wiz was good. it was all black, but they were some talented fuckers and it wasn't woke. it was just black. This here is the problem. I have zero issue with movies/tv focused on black audiences. Shit like Shaft (original) was targeted to blacks but it was written and about inner city black life as they saw it. Today's woke shit is just propaganda trash.
Never was a fan of the 70's black demo movies, but the 90s ones were great. I have seen Boys N the Hood, Menace II Society, Friday, and Above the Rim numerous times.

The only thing I have seen, in todays political climate, that is like those movies is the TV show Atlanta (well, mostly like Friday).

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Never was a fan of the 70's black demo movies, but the 90s ones were great. I have seen Boys N the Hood, Menace II Society, Friday, and Above the Rim numerous times.

The only thing I have seen, in todays political climate, that is like those movies is the TV show Atlanta (well, mostly like Friday).
You missed the best one:

p6oYz4qPPzGi1sQQhfw8aQQVf3H[1].jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You missed the best one:

View attachment 435312
Don't Be A Menace was entertaining, but I don't know if I would say that it is good. At least not good enough that I watched it multiple times. Although, after his performance in D&D, I didn't watch/rewatch anything with Marlon Wayans in it ever again. I wasted money on a theater ticket, so he goes in the black book.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Don't Be A Menace was entertaining, but I don't know if I would say that it is good. At least not good enough that I watched it multiple times. Although, after his performance in D&D, I didn't watch/rewatch anything with Marlon Wayans in it ever again. I wasted money on a theater ticket, so he goes in the black book.
Why does the book have to be black??

Kidding. As was my inclusion of Don't Be a Menace in the list of best "black" movies of the 90s. It's still one of the greatest movie titles of all time though.

• 1Like

Goatface

while not 90's movies, during the early 90's we had I'm Gonna Git You Sucka and Hollywood Shuffle on vhs and watched them repeatedly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
while not 90's movies, during the early 90's we had I'm Gonna Git You Sucka and Hollywood Shuffle on vhs and watched them repeatedly.
Hollywood Shuffle is a classic movie. Robert Townsend did a great job for the $100k budget he had.
also the pimp in Im gonna Git You Sucka, was a well known 70s star and he played on the All My Children soap opera back when i watched that shit in the late 70s . i didnt know him as Huggy Bear, but as Les Baxter.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i dont think i remember his name being mentioned in the film. i'm sure it was, but its a stupid name, sounds like Caldor's which was a local store around here.

iu

That looks like the Northampton Caldor where I got my first video game / system, a Game Boy with Kirby's Dream Land.

I guess it could be any Caldor but it looks 100% like the place I went to all the time as a kid in the 90's, same tree line, lights, and parking setup.

Later it became a fuckin' Wal-Mart, sadly.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I went through a lot of Hulu's "Into the Dark" movie catalog over a year or so while I had it. Basically a series of creepy movies with a whole bunch of different scenarios.

A lot of folks here would hate some of these because they're brimming with various levels of wokeness. Almost every single one of 'em has a female lead (usually a pretty hot one) and the villains are usually white men. So after a while you can tell who is gonna be who, and who is gonna turn out to be evil or untrustworthy, by a couple minutes into a movie. It gets super-predictable. Like in "School Spirit" there's a killer loose in a group of kids in detention, and you know it's gonna be the white guy before the movie even gets rolling.

Even when the white male characters get to be benevolent or the protagonist, they're shown to be deeply flawed by doing out of left-field stupid shit just to let you know you shouldn't cheer for them too much. In other words the wokeness actually gets in the way of the storytelling in a major way in a lot of these.

So why bother with these? There are some really good movies in there. "A Nasty Piece of Work", "They Come Knocking", "Tentacles", "Down", and "Wounds" are all worth seeing. Some people really enjoy "Pooka" as well. They're good October watching.

Ones to probably avoid: "Pure", "Treehouse", "Pilgrim", "School Spirit"

The best one is hands-down "A Nasty Piece of Work". I thought "Tentacles" was the 2nd-best (as a side note, this might be the only one with an actual decent strong male protagonist), with "Wounds" 3rd... the last one is easy to miss because for some reason it isn't included with the rest of the series on any lists that I've seen.

Trailers for some of the better ones:

This page has trailers for most of them:

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive only seen Blood Moon from that, and thought it was pretty good. Made me interested in watching some of the other stories.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
there are 2 wizard of oz remakes in the works right now
View attachment 434469View attachment 434470
going to be a good old fashion woke off
In all fairness, the Tin Man comes off as slightly gay in the original: my dad and I used to call him the Tin Puto. My mom used to say Kevin Spacey would make a good tin man in a remake.

Also, while the MGM movie is fairly similar to the book, it deviates in several ways, most significantly, once the Wizard flies away in the balloon there’s a whole journey to the land of the South to meet Glinda, who lives there instead of the North

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
In all fairness, the Tin Man comes off as slightly gay in the original: my dad and I used to call him the Tin Puto. My mom used to say Kevin Spacey would make a good tin man in a remake.

Also, while the MGM movie is fairly similar to the book, it deviates in several ways, most significantly, once the Wizard flies away in the balloon there’s a whole journey to the land of the South to meet Glinda, who lives there instead of the North
google Jack Haley in images and you probably wont be shocked.
iu

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
google Jack Haley in images and you probably wont be shocked.
iu
Fun fact: him and Ray Bolger are buried in the same cemetery where my uncle is and my grandparents will be.

also John Candy, Bela Lugosi, Rita Hayworth, Sharon Tate and Bing Crosby

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ive only seen Blood Moon from that, and thought it was pretty good. Made me interested in watching some of the other stories.

My post got me wanting to finish the last few movies. I'm actually watching Blood Moon as we speak. The lead actress in that is hot. Of course the cops are all creepy. But whatever, I got used to this stuff from Hulu.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Saw this movie a couple days ago in Vegas

Very well acted and a story that will have you wondering what happens next.

not many people talking about it

most likely because
it’s essentially the stepford wives combined with the matrix

• 1Like