New World

Vedette

<Donor>
I probably won't play this game retail, and the NDA on alpha has long passed.

They were making a great survival MMO in late 2018/early 2019. I have no idea what happened to early development team, or what caused them suddenly change direction. I still think it's super weird they pulled this game back from being a pure survival MMO, and are presumably coming out with a theme park LOTR MMO.

I had so much fun with this game back in early 2019. It was a small clan territory based survival game. The further north you controlled land the better the resources. Your very best gear was used in wardecs that normally happened on the weekends. I might be the only person on this board who played the endgame in that version. It was hilariously broken sometimes, but was always fun. The progression was very shallow. We farmed all our gold, and gear in about two weeks. This lead to our clan killing newbies in the south to pass the time. The next weekend wardec the entire server showing up against our two clan alliance.

I'll say whatever went wrong wasn't from lack of effort. That dev team was pumping out content, and fixes. I'm also pretty sure they had some guys in the team whose only job was to record some of our clans. They were constantly watching us pvp, and even build.

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The suits prolly said make it like XXXX MMO, it is more safe. But we all know that safe clone of xxx and yyyy and a bit of zzz is meh in the end.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The suits prolly said make it like XXXX MMO, it is more safe. But we all know that safe clone of xxx and yyyy and a bit of zzz is meh in the end.

Literally had the same thought. When things get this disjointed it’s usually the suits directing from the pulpit.

Same thing happens to Toy Story where Woody was this snarky character. The movie sucked bc of the suits. So they started over from scratch and did it in half the time.

Doubt that’ll happen here though. It is Amazon after all.

Xerge

<Donor>
Is it possible for patches to salvage some gameplay? I was really hoping the war mechanic would be entertaining at least

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Is it possible for patches to salvage some gameplay? I was really hoping the war mechanic would be entertaining at least

They can definitely fix the combat mechanics. Early on the combat is too disjointed because of the weapon swap and the cooldowns on skills. I am sure the cooldowns will decrease, but the weapon swap will always be there. That on top of you only getting 3 skills off that weapon onto your hot bar is a turnoff also. These things honestly makes me not want to go playing any further. Not sure how you would get of the feeling of not connecting with enemies.

Add a couple more skill slots and get rid of the janky weapon swap. I just macro'd the last skill slot when pressed to press two at the end of the actual skill timer to swap to the secondary weapon. And it's still janky!

Questing they can fix by tripling/quadrupling the XP. It's that bad. I have not seen a mount yet. They exist? This would make the fetch quests that are literally 5+ minute runs tolerable. Not sure how those in the previous alpha's have not screamed this at Amazon.

So far the crafting is pretty good. I can't complain.

I don't care about PvP so haven't bothered.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
They can definitely fix the combat mechanics. Early on the combat is too disjointed because of the weapon swap and the cooldowns on skills. I am sure the cooldowns will decrease, but the weapon swap will always be there. That on top of you only getting 3 skills off that weapon onto your hot bar is a turnoff also. These things honestly makes me not want to go playing any further. Not sure how you would get of the feeling of not connecting with enemies.

Add a couple more skill slots and get rid of the janky weapon swap. I just macro'd the last skill slot when pressed to press two at the end of the actual skill timer to swap to the secondary weapon. And it's still janky!

Questing they can fix by tripling/quadrupling the XP. It's that bad. I have not seen a mount yet. They exist? This would make the fetch quests that are literally 5+ minute runs tolerable. Not sure how those in the previous alpha's have not screamed this at Amazon.

So far the crafting is pretty good. I can't complain.

I don't care about PvP so haven't bothered.

I'd agree with 3 seeming weak, I think GW2 nailed the amount of skills per class with weapon swapping.

5 regular skills
3 utilities
1 ult

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I probably won't play this game retail, and the NDA on alpha has long passed.

They were making a great survival MMO in late 2018/early 2019. I have no idea what happened to early development team, or what caused them suddenly change direction. I still think it's super weird they pulled this game back from being a pure survival MMO, and are presumably coming out with a theme park LOTR MMO.

I had so much fun with this game back in early 2019. It was a small clan territory based survival game. The further north you controlled land the better the resources. Your very best gear was used in wardecs that normally happened on the weekends. I might be the only person on this board who played the endgame in that version. It was hilariously broken sometimes, but was always fun. The progression was very shallow. We farmed all our gold, and gear in about two weeks. This lead to our clan killing newbies in the south to pass the time. The next weekend wardec the entire server showing up against our two clan alliance.

I'll say whatever went wrong wasn't from lack of effort. That dev team was pumping out content, and fixes. I'm also pretty sure they had some guys in the team whose only job was to record some of our clans. They were constantly watching us pvp, and even build.

Yeah, I liked the early version too. Didn't get as far as you but had fun.

Still going to buy the game and give it a go. New MMO's are a lot of fun the first month or so after release with tons of people running around not knowing what the fuck is going on and no youtube videos telling people what to do.

After that it's always a guess, but most MMO's don't have mass appeal beyond those first couple of months. If Amazon is willing to commit to the long haul, then New World might become a top tier game even if the launch isn't great. FFXiV and ESO both recovered from lackluster launches. Then again, they had popular I.P.'s to help carry them.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just something simple to make that Fashion even worse:

If New World could come close to quality of character model and outfit design as this, it would probably be worth supporting.

Edit: Has the game gotten better since last summer?

• 3Like

Xerge

<Donor>
How is displaying complex CC from BDO 'something simple' lol. Speak for yourself plz not everyone wants to spend an hour creating a pretty vagina.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How is displaying complex CC from BDO 'something simple' lol. Speak for yourself plz not everyone wants to spend an hour creating a pretty vagina.
You can just pick a preset, including presets done by other people. Literally takes a few clicks to find a decent base if you want to tweak a few things(hairstyle, hair/eye color, skin color etc) and then you're good to go. You don't have to actually design your own char if you don't want to. And you can remake your char whenever you want if you have the premium shit active, so you'll never be like "fuck I regret not doing this or that", you can just fix it without having to buy a char change ticket evertime(the premium shit they give for free frequently enough, and you can buy 1 day every 2weeks of playing so you're never too far from having it active).

Char creation aside though, the costumes in that New World video looked like ass, both somehow generic and still shit looking.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Spoken like a true ESO fan, I guess. ;p

• 1Solidarity

Xerge

<Donor>
I deal with it in ESO too. The housing/fashion community in eso is aids, in way that it's exceptionally good(not flashy tho). I think there's a line between character development and personalization. If a game can hit a home run go for it but as mentioned not even bdo does that. BDO is just super fucking pretty lol.

F in chat for city of heroes.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I deal with it in ESO too. The housing/fashion community in eso is aids, in way that it's exceptionally good(not flashy tho). I think there's a line between character development and personalization. If a game can hit a home run go for it but as mentioned not even bdo does that. BDO is just super fucking pretty lol.

F in chat for city of heroes.
Not sure I understand your thinking here. How does BDO fail in the character dev / personalization aspect (or rather, hits a triple vs. home run). The main reason I posted that vid was to show the vast difference between the default character model of the newest class Corsair (before any tweaking) and more specifically the outfits. The ones shown, aside from the flashy one with light blue, are all just basic armors. Each of them are 10x better than most armor designs in NW and 100x better than what Amazon was showcasing. It just boggles my mind.

Amazon should step away from being an actual game studio and focus on being a publisher. Go out and find creative, smart studios that have good games. Support them in a hands off way (as much as possible) or simply publish their game (like they are doing with Lost Ark).

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
This game's strength is how fast they can make fixes/changes and put out content. It's not going to be DoA, but it's going to be one of those games that may take 3-6 months to become what it really is. Sucks they couldn't just put it back on ice and keep adding stuff, but I think after a year's delay they really can't do it again. Luckily as a box price game there shouldn't be TOO much holding people from coming back when it's set on its true course.

Most of the changes they've made were from feedback by the way. Almost everything was asked for by the early testers. They moved away from the hardcore pvp everything goes ruleset because testers said it was too griefy. Then each little change meant they needed to add something else to make it more palatable. I mean they didn't even have quests in game until 6 months or so ago and they had to because there was two ways of leveling: doing faction quests which mostly sucked or killing 100000 mobs. Dungeons didn't exist. Storyline quest was basically nothing. Bounty boards were much more limited and would actually cap out in towns so you couldn't get new ones. So they rushed the quest system and are still working on it, but yeah, it's pretty basic.

They're trying to bring back the pvp roots but they know that the population in MMOs is PVErs not PVPers so they're trying not to incentivize ganking and camping but rather make open world battle spots to congregate the pvpers. It's really unfortunate, they're doing the right stuff, but they just are doing so much so fast they can't get it to a comfortable level for anything.

But like I said previously, this game may not be a true experience until 3+ months in when they find their soul and direction. The problem will be if Amazon sees big box sales, big population drop off, and then cuts funds rather than investing in it. With only MTX as their source of money after box price it could be interesting because the more people you have the more small sales you make, but whales in games tend to be lifers.

• 1Like