New World

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
MMO's need to change.

I’ve always thought being able to build upon your progress would solve a lot of this - even if it’s minor to allow late starters to contribute, giving a small bonus by melding old armor to new (call it whatever, just don’t completely erase past gear) would go a long way towards appeasing your existing base and encourage newer players to complete old content.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Im betting (just a wild guess) that the people that have multiple suits of armor for multiple dungeons, that spent money to have multiple tabs of gear for each dungeon, are fucking LIVID at this change.

They're both furious

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Im wary of going back to it just because of that - all my work might be erased over night. But at the same time, I realize that an expansion in WoW erases all your work overnight as well. MMO's need to change.
From my own perspective, I still blame PoP & Luclin in EQ for the way MMO's turned out, a handful of hardcore EQ raiders went on to make that the standard system for MMO's and their expansions, thanks to WoW. I'm not blaming them, no one had any idea how wildly popular WoW actually was going to be, but it permanently changed the goal of a MMO being a living complex world, to an illusion of an open massive world, which all goals and activities are actually just funneling you towards endgame raiding and PVP. Was fun for a few years/expansions, but JFC devs are still spinning out these variations of the WoW system.

PoP was what started it, change my mind. It made the rest of the content pointless. I played alts on Karana, I even got sucked into raiding there around the end of Luclin. With PoP, there was no need for an organized small casual guild to go anywhere else once the bigger guilds had progressed to the EP's. In Luclin that guild was still doing stuff across all expansions, IIRC only Nightbane ,an asian, and frenchie guild were topdogs, but the server had a raid rotation going (part of the reason I chose to make alts there TBH)

I miss when raiding wasn't the only part of the endgame, actually I miss when the concept of endgame didn't actually exist in MMO's. I didn't sit in VT getting swarmed by 4 armed trannies thinking "Whelp, guess I'll do my daily quests after this then login in a few days for next raid" No, I had a ton of shit to accomplish, and that game is from 20+ years ago.

When I used to go to La Ronde in Montreal, I didn't just ride the big rollercoaster, and call it a day, fuck no, I went on all the other rides, played games, and ate and drank a bunch of unhealthy shit. Raid or Die gamers are the ones repeatedly lining up for that single ride over and over. That shit is fucking old.

I was always a big fan of quests that took forever to complete, but had a huge reward that made it all worthwhile. Gauntlets of Dragonslaying is probably the most memorable loot I ever got. First we had to kill Yelniak, I had to win the head, I had to rep tormax so I could actually turn it in, and I had to wait forever to catch Tormax alive, because the people killing him were faggots and wouldn't give me 5 seconds to turnin, but goddamn was it all worthwhile, and I remember it all 2 decades later.

I still haven't tried this game, 50-60$ entry fee for a game that didn't sound very successful keeps me away.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I miss when raiding wasn't the only part of the endgame, actually I miss when the concept of endgame didn't actually exist in MMO's. I didn't sit in VT getting swarmed by 4 armed trannies thinking "Whelp, guess I'll do my daily quests after this then login in a few days for next raid" No, I had a ton of shit to accomplish, and that game is from 20+ years ago.

End game in EQ1 really wasn't that vastly different than modern MMO end game when you boil down to what you actually did in most cases

1) With a few exceptions, most of the best loot was from raid-level encounters. If you were in a dungeon, it was either to get XP or maybe get something to sell.
2) You constantly had to grind XP to get raid XP buffer AND you also had to grind AA points

While the game lacked daily quests, it did require daily engagement in order to not fall behind. Sound familiar? The only difference is it was less structured than modern MMOs, but the underlying foundation is the same. Modern MMOs just went with a more quantifiable approach - if I do X around Y times, I achieve what I am trying to get. Whereas in old MMOs like EQ1, it was less defined and therefore didn't have a clearly defined "I am done" goal beyond getting to what you were trying to get to. For an analogy, modern MMOs put up road signs that say "X miles to Reputation City" and they put mile markers along the road. Old MMOs just had some sign saying "AA point city ahead" and you had to guess how far it was.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
From my own perspective, I still blame PoP & Luclin in EQ for the way MMO's turned out, a handful of hardcore EQ raiders went on to make that the standard system for MMO's and their expansions, thanks to WoW. I'm not blaming them, no one had any idea how wildly popular WoW actually was going to be, but it permanently changed the goal of a MMO being a living complex world, to an illusion of an open massive world, which all goals and activities are actually just funneling you towards endgame raiding and PVP. Was fun for a few years/expansions, but JFC devs are still spinning out these variations of the WoW system.

PoP was what started it, change my mind. It made the rest of the content pointless. I played alts on Karana, I even got sucked into raiding there around the end of Luclin. With PoP, there was no need for an organized small casual guild to go anywhere else once the bigger guilds had progressed to the EP's. In Luclin that guild was still doing stuff across all expansions, IIRC only Nightbane ,an asian, and frenchie guild were topdogs, but the server had a raid rotation going (part of the reason I chose to make alts there TBH)

When I used to go to La Ronde in Montreal, I didn't just ride the big rollercoaster, and call it a day, fuck no, I went on all the other rides, played games, and ate and drank a bunch of unhealthy shit. Raid or Die gamers are the ones repeatedly lining up for that single ride over and over. That shit is fucking old.

I was always a big fan of quests that took forever to complete, but had a huge reward that made it all worthwhile. Gauntlets of Dragonslaying is probably the most memorable loot I ever got. First we had to kill Yelniak, I had to win the head, I had to rep tormax so I could actually turn it in, and I had to wait forever to catch Tormax alive, because the people killing him were faggots and wouldn't give me 5 seconds to turnin, but goddamn was it all worthwhile, and I remember it all 2 decades later.

I still haven't tried this game, 50-60$ entry fee for a game that didn't sound very successful keeps me away.

Another EQ boomer with rose tinted glasses. Nobody was basing shit around PoP. Games reset with expansions so people fork over money for the expansions and so new players don't feel like they can't ever catch up.

Even your shining example of an awesome "quest that took forever" was just turning in 1 item to 1 guy.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So I kind of pay attention, but not as much as someone thst plays. The Q&A they released today was a bit obnoxious because most of the answers were dodged. Only to promise to answer them in the next dev update which is… an expansion…?

Does anyone know more than that? This supposedly has mounts and an equipment redesign. But are we talking an expansion like brimstone sands? Or sn “actual” expansion the size of a continent or something?

The mounts alone will cause me to come back and give the game another chance. But it would be nice to have more to get hyped about. Xerge Xerge ..?

Xerge

<Donor>
More like Brimstone Sands but with a lot extras. First Light is currently locked out and some shit will going down there permanently. So basically a new zone, mount system, gear score increase, big item system changes like removal of ward, bane, and resilent stats. Im expecting a new weapon (flail or dagger), a new dungeon, 10 man raid, and a lot of random other qol updates. They may even surprise me and throw in their cross server dungeon finder too.

There's rumors also they outsourced a lot of help for the expansion by Virtuos Games. I just couldn't see the AGS team producing all of this in the timeframe - they also mentioned a shorter PTR cycle.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man - its a good damn change. But Im glad I havent really given the game a chance again since I left, because Im betting (just a wild guess) that the people that have multiple suits of armor for multiple dungeons, that spent money to have multiple tabs of gear for each dungeon, are fucking LIVID at this change. Again, its a great change. But good god do they fuck the player base over and over and over in this game. Im wary of going back to it just because of that - all my work might be erased over night. But at the same time, I realize that an expansion in WoW erases all your work overnight as well. MMO's need to change.
That's why I can still play Black Desert.

The same gear that was good 7 years ago is still top tier today, for the most part.

• 1WTF

Cybsled

The way I am interpreting it, they’re going to do a soft gear reset with the expansion. Your current stuff can’t go higher than 625 and the new perks will only drop on the new xpac gear. If they design it right, then BiS perks will only be on the new gear. Supposedly the “umbral shard” mechanic is going away for the new gear. On the one hand, that’s nice. On the other hand, I liked being able to turn certain 599 items into legendary gear by upgrading to 600.

Resiliant is going away and being baked into armor load. So presumably light gets almost nothing and heavy gets lets of crit resistance

Flail is supposed to be the next weapon. They said it would be focus and STR as stats, so I suspect it will be a healing item with mechanics similar to Brigitte in Overwatch

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

The way I am interpreting it, they’re going to do a soft gear reset with the expansion. Your current stuff can’t go higher than 625 and the new perks will only drop on the new xpac gear. If they design it right, then BiS perks will only be on the new gear. Supposedly the “umbral shard” mechanic is going away for the new gear. On the one hand, that’s nice. On the other hand, I liked being able to turn certain 599 items into legendary gear by upgrading to 600.

Resiliant is going away and being baked into armor load. So presumably light gets almost nothing and heavy gets lets of crit resistance

Flail is supposed to be the next weapon. They said it would be focus and STR as stats, so I suspect it will be a healing item with mechanics similar to Brigitte in Overwatch
Flail may have a stun and slow side of the tree which would be really cool to have. I figured they would have broke the shield up from the 1 handed sword by now, too. As I would love to have some of the utility that a lot of the other 1 handers have. While still having some of that protection that the shield offers. Like it would be cool to have the Blunderbuss and Shield combo like some of the NPC's have for example. Even though all that interests me, Im still not going to play tank again. Stressed me way the fuck out in this game for some reason.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's why I can still play Black Desert.

The same gear that was good 7 years ago is still top tier today, for the most part.

GW2 has become more appealing to me over time too, I dont care as much about the gear treadmill anymore and just like having lots of options for what I can do. More games need BDO's no trading/fixed AH prices system as well, completely cuts out RMT for the most part.

Cybsled

They just announced the xpac

Only 1 “new” zone - the revamped first light
Level 65
Mounts
Flail and shield (doesn’t seem like it is healing, more debuffing and buffing)
Item level 700
250 max tradeskill level
Some new dungeons

Oct 3 - $30

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

They just announced the xpac

Only 1 “new” zone - the revamped first light
Level 65
Mounts
Flail and shield (doesn’t seem like it is healing, more debuffing and buffing)
Item level 700
250 max tradeskill level
Some new dungeons

Oct 3 - $30

• 1Like

Daidraco

Im hyped to play it, but I wont lie that a lot of the new stuff seems very low impact and kind of flat in "feel." I really wish there was another way to say it because I know it sounds bad, but they really need to give more of the creative control of things to the guys on their team - or at least find some that arent lacking testosterone.

Xerge Xerge , how are they replacing expertise? I cant stand most of the streamers that are still plugging this game, so until the dev talk or something - I have no idea.

Cybsled

They’re just going to make items drop at appropriate ilevel based on player level and the difficulty of the content. Removing expertise just eliminates grinding your individual ilevel per slot before you can get drops of that ilevel

Current system: I hit level 60. I have 510 expertise in hats. I kill a level 63 elite boss and he drops a hat. That hat could be level 600, but because my expertise is only 510, the ilevel of the hat drop can only be a maximum of 510

New system: I got level 60. I kill the boss. The hat drops at ilevel 600

• 1Like

Daidraco

They’re just going to make items drop at appropriate ilevel based on player level and the difficulty of the content. Removing expertise just eliminates grinding your individual ilevel per slot before you can get drops of that ilevel

Current system: I hit level 60. I have 510 expertise in hats. I kill a level 63 elite boss and he drops a hat. That hat could be level 600, but because my expertise is only 510, the ilevel of the hat drop can only be a maximum of 510

New system: I got level 60. I kill the boss. The hat drops at ilevel 600
Ok, yea. This video was way, WAY, more interesting to watch than their past "Balance of Power" episodes.

• 1Like