NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Disp_sl

shitlord
Edit: Also, that Patrick Peterson deal is insane. 5 years 70 million 48 million guaranteed for a fucking corner that isnt on offense or returning kicks now? Richard Sherman's reaction would have been priceless. 48 vs 12 million guaranteed, apparently Sherman is already crying and tweeting shit lol
I probably don't watch enough AZ games to get an real accurate assessment, but the hype around Peterson is a little odd to me. He lines up against Crabtree just about every snp when they play, and Crabtree has like 460 yards and 4 td's in 5 games against him. He seems to get shredded just about every game they play, other than the most recent one last year when Crabtree came back after his achilles injury.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Some WR just seem to have certain CB's number (and vice versa.) Taking an individual matchup as a broad stroke can be dangerous.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bad management. The Cardinals haven't sucked for decades by accident.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Peterson is really good, but he benefited from the Asomugha type effect where his numbers got inflated because teams didn't even have to think about throwing to his side for a couple seasons. He's also not much of a tackler, gives up a lot of YAC compared to other elite CB's.

If he's not returning punts anymore it just makes that contract even more insane. CB is such a weird position to judge, people decide 2-3 of them are elite and then spend the next few years just going along with that narrative even though there's some 24-26 year-olds coming in every year and outperforming them without anyone seeming to notice. Guys like Verner and Munnerlyn.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Cowboys sign Tyron Smith to 8-year $98-million extension, $40 million guaranteed.

Top 3 LT in the league, who hasn't even turned 24 yet - that's the position you give a long term contract to.

Still in awe from when he stoned Robert Quinn last year, probably the only game he got shut down.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Peterson is really good, but he benefited from the Asomugha type effect where his numbers got inflated because teams didn't even have to think about throwing to his side for a couple seasons. He's also not much of a tackler, gives up a lot of YAC compared to other elite CB's.
That's what it seems like to me as well. He had 1 season with a lot of picks, but other than that seems a lot like Asomugah where teams just throw to the other side more often. When I see him play he just takes a lot of shitty angles and gets burned a lot. He's still a good player, but not as good as his contract makes him out to be.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If a team chooses not to throw to one side of the field most of the time because of one player, then that player is worth quite a bit. As long as the perception remains (and I'm not saying whether he's slipped or not), he's still quite valuable.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cowboys sign Tyron Smith to 8-year $98-million extension, $40 million guaranteed.

Top 3 LT in the league, who hasn't even turned 24 yet - that's the position you give a long term contract to.

Still in awe from when he stoned Robert Quinn last year, probably the only game he got shut down.
I keep hearing this top 3 or top 5 talk about him, and I'm curious as to what your list of top tackles actually looks like.

Maybe it's just because I don't even know how you can compare tackles to eachother, but I find stuff like that ridiculous to throw out.

I'm not saying it's a bad contract at all, either, so please don't mistake it for that. I'm firmly a believer that football is still all about the trenches. Get yourself an offensive line is above average and you'll find your QB all the sudden looking infinitely better, and the run game suddenly opens up. And then on top of that, your offense can sustain drives which causes your defense to get better. I hate big contracts for skill position players where you can plug anyone who knows how to run a route into the scheme and succeed.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was the case in Oakland for Asomugha, there were stats all over showing that he didn't have a huge impact on the actual passing game because the other DB's were so bad.

Peterson isn't alone now though. He's got honey badger back there with him and some Cromartie or other. As a team they'll be better, but he may personally end up giving up a bit more yardage/TD's.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I get excited every year for that. And then I watch about 3 minutes of the Hall of Fame game and remember I don't give a shit about preseason games. Even a few years ago when the Redskins were playing, I didn't care.

Not this year though. Not even going to bother watching.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I get excited every year for that. And then I watch about 3 minutes of the Hall of Fame game and remember I don't give a shit about preseason games. Even a few years ago when the Redskins were playing, I didn't care.

Not this year though. Not even going to bother watching.
Me too for the most part. I usually watch the first quarter of the HoF game and then 1'st and 2'nd quarters of the 49ers games. I'll probably end up watching most of the Niners games this year cause they have some pretty interesting backup/future starter competitions this year though.