NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think you need to go back and review the trade..
Short sighted thinking belief that dumping your load of picks for a few years doesn't ripple for many years to come is probably the reason GMs do make these picks. Maybe you'll get lucky like the Skins and find some QB who plays over his skill set and you can eek into the playoffs with 9-7 in 4 years or so. Since their blow your load trade worked out wonderfully.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Convo lets be honest here, for months during the season the commentary on this year's draft was that it was a deep one, but not a great draft for QB's (especially compared to last year's). Now all of a sudden we have Goff and Wentz being salivated over and two teams trading pretty big hauls of picks to move up from #15 and #8, respectively...to likely draft these guys. What changed? Same thing that let Osweiler get 72 million (37 guaranteed). Everyone saw what happened to Houston in the playoffs, and if you don't have a decent QB (or even the POTENTIAL of one), you're just in the shitter. This includes coach's job security. Rams and Eagles buying themselves time making these deals, because Goff and Wentz represent potential. Whether or not either pans out is anyone's guess, but I don't see either roster as just being "a QB away" from being a contender. If both or either guy is good, I think it helps whichever team quite a bit, but they aren't winning the SB.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Right after the season ended Goff and Wentz were projected mid-round picks. Now I know that is a bit of a reach to think the best QBs in the draft will go mid-round since they'll always go high but it does speak to them being objectively fairly low on the talent totem pole. These aren't can't miss prospects coming out this year. If I was drafting a project I'd cross my fingers Hackenburg or Cook are there in the 3rd and pick them up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know if I saw them projected that low, but the talk was certainly that "if you needed a QB to be a potential franchise guy, this year probably wasn't the year". I feel like they were being projected as late first, or 2nd/3rd depending on how high a team was on a particular guy. Basically meaning, they aren't standout franchise potential QB's, but some teams might see something in a guy that he could develop into that.

Honestly Titans and Browns are the winners here, you could argue Cleveland could use a QB, but getting the 2nd choice one versus the haul of picks they got I'd make that trade. Of course, it's Cleveland, so they have to actually do something productive with those picks.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
or when the Cowboys win the SB and have a defense like the Ravens in the early 2000's!
We will be lucky if half our defensive starters aren't suspended for 10 games half way through the year, it's funny how quick you are to guzzle the kool-aid after getting the taste of Kelly's out of your mouth just months ago.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm not a fan of the Rams moving up to #1 but to say Goff was considered a middle round pick is just retarded. He's been on everyones radar for more than a year.

I think it's harder to defend the Eagles move. They've already spent $57 million for 2 QB's and now they've thrown a bunch of draft picks on a project QB to sit behind them both? They could have had one of the drafts top players at #8 before the sure fire talent drops off, now they get a guy they aren't playing and no way to fill those holes those picks could have filled.

Again though, if either of these QB's actually work out for once then the move(s) will look brilliant. History is against them.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We will be lucky if half our defensive starters aren't suspended for 10 games half way through the year, it's funny how quick you are to guzzle the kool-aid after getting the taste of Kelly's out of your mouth just months ago.
Citation needed and I was never a Chip fan so wtf are you talking about? I'm predicting my team is going to be a middle of the pack team next season which isn't saying much..

moontayle

Golden Squire
Goff was the only one I saw that has been consistent top 10 and first QB off the board since the conclusion of the college season.

If Ramsey is off the board I hope Dallas swaps with a LT-needy team and is able to pick up some additional capital. If they don't move down too far in this scenario I hope they grab Elliot.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Citation needed and I was never a Chip fan so wtf are you talking about? I'm predicting my team is going to be a middle of the pack team next season which isn't saying much..
Ill take your word since I don't feel like looking up 2-3 year old post, thinking the Eagles are a 8-8 9-7 team this year is drinking kool-aid man.