NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't really blame them for that one. Plenty of teams take a chance on what would have been a first rounder who had an injury. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I guess they could have waited another round, but if your team doctor who performed the surgery gave the okay, I don't see how you can blame Jerry. Maybe blame him for employing a too optimistic doctor?

Then again, maybe I'm being hypocritical, because I fully blame Snyder, Shanahan, and Dr. Andrews (and RG3 for that matter) with how fucking stupid RG3's injury was handled. I give Shanahan a bit of a pass because I think he knew RG3 was dog shit, and was just trying to sabotage him so he could have his pet project in Cousins start.

moontayle

Golden Squire
And yet... if that nerve starts firing again then he's going to be a great part of their linebacking corps. I understand the thinking that Dallas shouldn't have wasted a draft pick on him given the uncertainty behind the knee, but the draft is always a gamble. I mean, what's worse? A player being drafted that you think is good but ends up being a bust, or drafting a player you know is good but can't play right away? The former happens all the time. Even the best drafters in the NFL might get 50/50 on a pick. Why do you think NE always tries to load up with picks? They're playing the odds.

With Smith's high ceiling (he was arguably the best defensive player in the draft before the injury) they obviously felt he was worth taking a chance on, even if he never plays a down. I can live with that.

Edit: Went looking for more info and foundthisfrom April where they talk about the injury.

"He's had time for his nerve to regrow 2 inches, and the area of where his nerve was injured is 6 inches above the muscle that it innervates," Cooper said. "I wouldn't really expect him to get much innervation back into that muscle for two or three more months. Then once it does -- I've seen kids who are completely paralyzed like him on the lateral side and not able to pick their foot up at all (that) wind up being totally normal."
There's also the fact that no testing has been done on the nerve since before the draft. So taking the Doctor at face value, best case scenario is 1-2 more months before the nerve fully recovers. I also didnt' realize it was Werder tweeting the initial comment. He's on my "get two more sources before taking seriously" list.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I feel like he might have fallen a little further. Also it's not as simple as "if that nerve starts firing again". He's not suddenly going to be a world beater in the NFL. Kid has a long journey ahead of him, no matter what happens.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Johnny Football just got 4 games for drugs. Not sure that even matters anymore since the more important question is what month you have in his death pool.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is he actually on a roster right now? A 4 game ban seems kind of unnecessary as I don't see any teams actually signing him. His NFL career is over.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It would be a consideration to any future team signing him (except, of course, Dallas).

moontayle

Golden Squire
Right. I'm sure Dallas was hanging the hopes of their entire season on the Middle Linebacker spot. With McClain out (and potentially off the team), and their injured 2nd round pick, the season is definitely in the tank now.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Right. I'm sure Dallas was hanging the hopes of their entire season on the Middle Linebacker spot. With McClain out (and potentially off the team), and their injured 2nd round pick, the season is definitely in the tank now.
Because that defense is soooo deep that even their practice squad would start on any other team... give me a break.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not entirely certain what you're trying to get at here. Are you trying to infer that the loss of a single linebacker, and not even the best linebacker on the team by the way, is the catalyst for a less than good season? Most Dallas fans already know the defense isn't going to be a world-beater this year. Losing one guy isn't really going to change that opinion. There's this thing, it's called "next man up". Most teams employ that philosophy. McClain decided he wasn't all that interested in playing this year. Oh well. There's already someone on the team who can step into his spot, he did it last year when McClain served his 4-game suspension.

And to be honest, I wasn't onboard bringing McClain back anyway. Losing him in any capacity doesn't change my thoughts on how the year is going to go.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
@Moon. My point is thatbecausethe defense is going to struggle putting NFL starter caliber talent on the field, drafting someone who will not even practice this year is a complete waste. If the Elliot pick signaled that the Cowboys are drafting for the now, the 2nd round pick was a complete failure in that strategy. It just goes to show that Jerry has no strategy when it comes to building a team and has no idea outside of "what gets me the most Sports Center mentions." It's why this team has, since Jimmy left, been an overall mediocre team with less playoff wins than this franchise has Super Bowl trophies.

Merrith

That Cowboy support system strikes again. Feeling better about my Skins' chances.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You dont draft for this year. That should be handled in FA. That kid would be a top 5 pick healthy....so its a gamble but not like they used a 1st. Stop being so fucking dramatic.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
You dont draft for this year. That should be handled in FA. That kid would be a top 5 pick healthy....so its a gamble but not like they used a 1st. Stop being so fucking dramatic.
Then all the Cowboy fans loosing their minds when the thought of drafting a QB at 4 was brought up because "we have a QB" are morons. There are 2 strategies most teams take to the draft: Draft for this year and get the best current talent you possibly can, or draft for the future and get the best upside prospects you can. The best franchises will mix those. Those franchises are still playing games in late January. The Cowboys haven't been one of those franchises in 20 years.

Merrith

I'd say most teams are looking to get a Day 1 starter in the 1st round. Obviously depends on position and depth your team has at certain spots, but the really good teams are the ones finding starters in Rounds 2 and 3 as well, and picking guys in the mid to late rounds that develop into starters or good depth.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
@Moon. My point is thatbecausethe defense is going to struggle putting NFL starter caliber talent on the field, drafting someone who will not even practice this year is a complete waste. If the Elliot pick signaled that the Cowboys are drafting for the now, the 2nd round pick was a complete failure in that strategy. It just goes to show that Jerry has no strategy when it comes to building a team and has no idea outside of "what gets me the most Sports Center mentions." It's why this team has, since Jimmy left, been an overall mediocre team with less playoff wins than this franchise has Super Bowl trophies.
Or maybe they draft some for now and some for the future? You should never go all in one way or the other.