NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I coulda swore that in the situation where both teams had penalties, personal fouls trumped all the rest. In that case it was 2 holdings, a block in the back, and a personal foul by one team; and a holding by the other. The only way the personal foul can be canceled out is by another personal foul, right? Did that rule change, or was this not a real personal foul? Or do we chalk this up to "It's pre-season for the refs too"?

I've only seen that when the personal foul is well after the play so it's not that it trumps it, it's just they're both enforced and considered separate plays

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
lol Cowboys have a roster full of MVPs while the Giants get absolutely lit up by the Browns.

Looks like the NFC East will be a cake walk again.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Try not to go to sleep this year when you face us in the playoffs, but yeah I think the NFCLeast might be the second easiest division in the NFL, behind of course that high school division the Patriots get free home field from every year....

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Try not to go to sleep this year when you face us in the playoffs, but yeah I think the NFCLeast might be the second easiest division in the NFL, behind of course that high school division the Patriots get free home field from every year....

Yeah not like the NFC Beast was the toughest division in football last year or anything. Preseason is preseason. I'll reserve judgement until regular season starts.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've only seen that when the personal foul is well after the play so it's not that it trumps it, it's just they're both enforced and considered separate plays

Yeah, that's a different situation because it's after the whistle and the fouls are no longer during the same play. But I know I have seen instances where the ref announced that by rule the minor penalty was waived off and the personal foul enforced. For instance, if there's a play where a defensive player is lined up offsides, and then 2 offensive linemen do a hi/lo chop block on him, do you really think those will cancel out?

If they do, it's a relatively new rule.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah, that's a different situation because it's after the whistle and the fouls are no longer during the same play. But I know I have seen instances where the ref announced that by rule the minor penalty was waived off and the personal foul enforced. For instance, if there's a play where a defensive player is lined up offsides, and then 2 offensive linemen do a hi/lo chop block on him, do you really think those will cancel out?

If they do, it's a relatively new rule.

15 yard penalties can trump 5 yard penalties if that's what you're saying.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
15 yard penalties can trump 5 yard penalties if that's what you're saying.

Is it only 5 yarders? OK then you're saying if there's a play with an O line holding (that's 10 yards right?) and a roughing the passer, those would offset?

If that were true, I would expect ndamukong suh to be headhunting every time he noticed the offence got a penalty. Cause hey, free cheap shot! Why not?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Is it only 5 yarders? OK then you're saying if there's a play with an O line holding (that's 10 yards right?) and a roughing the passer, those would offset?

If that were true, I would expect ndamukong suh to be headhunting every time he noticed the offence got a penalty. Cause hey, free cheap shot! Why not?

Outside the fact you're nullifying the 10 yard loss the offense would get, he would still be fined and subject to ejection/suspension. Not exactly a loophole there

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If Odell's leg had remained planted he would've ripped apart everything in his knee.

Assuming high ankle sprain at this point.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Odell's leg had remained planted he would've ripped apart everything in his knee.

Assuming high ankle sprain at this point.
Gregg Williams prolly had a pretty good bounty on him

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
2017 NFL Rulebook | NFL Football Operations

You idiots could just look up the rule for yourselves.... but don't let me interrupt a good sports debate.

Section 5 - Fouls by Both Teams (Double Fouls)
Article 1. Double Foul Without Change of Possession
If there is a Double Foul (3-14-1-e) during a down in which there is not a change of possession, the penalties are offset, and the down is replayed at the previous spot. If it is a scrimmage down, the number of the next down and the line to gain is the same as for the down in which the fouls occurred.

Item 1. Five Versus 15 Enforcement. If one or more fouls by one team includes a 15-yard penalty, and the penalty for the foul or fouls committed by the other team is for a five-yard penalty without an automatic First Down, a loss of down, or a 10-second runoff (15 yards versus five yards), or that is not a spot foul, the 15-yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot, and the five-yard penalty is disregarded. Five vs. 15 enforcement cannot be declined by the team that committed the minor foul, except as described in (1) below. See 4-8-2-h and 14-4-9-Item 3-Exc. 1 for dead ball fouls at the end of a half.

1. If one of the fouls is a Dead Ball Foul for delay of game for spiking the ball and the opponent’s foul is a Live Ball Foul, the team that committed the delay of game foul, in addition to Article 1 above, will have the option to decline the foul committed by its opponent and be assessed the penalty for delay from the dead-ball spot.
  2. If both fouls are Dead Ball Fouls or are treated as such (14-4-9), the penalties are offset, and the ball is next put in play at the succeeding spot.
Note: Disqualification of one or more players is enforced, even though the penalties are offset.

Article 2. Double Foul with a Change of Possession
If there is a Double Foul during a down in which there is a change or changes of possession, including if one of the fouls is a post-possession foul by Team B during a scrimmage kick, the team last gaining possession will keep the ball after enforcement for its foul, provided it did not foul prior to last gaining possession (“clean hands”).

If the team last in possession does not have “clean hands” when it establishes possession, the penalties offset, and the down is replayed at the previous spot.

Exceptions:

1. If Team A fouls during a kickoff, punt, safety kick, fair catch kick, or field goal attempt prior to the change of possession, Team B may elect to replay the down at the previous spot.
  2. If a safety results from the enforcement of a foul by Team B, the down is replayed at the previous spot.
  3. If both teams foul after the last change of possession (Double Foul After Change of Possession), the penalties are offset, and the team last in possession shall retain the ball at the spot where possession was gained. If the spot where possession was gained is normally a touchback, the ball is placed on the 20-yard line, or the 25-yard line if the impetus was from a free kick. If it is normally a safety, the ball is placed on the one-yard line. On kicking plays, if Team A fouls prior to the change of possession, Team B shall also have the option in (1) above.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I'm just happy the QB battle in Denver is over. Lynch was clearly not ready, and I don't think he is smart enough to get the job next year as well. Looking forward to seeing their new offense and how that all plays out this season.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
This is happening at 5PM tonight, hopefully will produce some lulz:

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
How many people who are bitching about him not getting picked up would actually want Kaepernick as the QB for their favorite team?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user